Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:31 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club

We have a 82 PA but with the 454-4 all original with the exception of the rear sleeping area. We have had her going on 6 years, and currently sno-birding in Sothern AZ and love it.
You have a great looking MH and I am excited too see someone bring one back too life. Keep the Pic's coming we all like Pictures.
Good Luck and have fun,
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #16

That hideous stripe appears to be the same color and location as the original.

The storage pod on the roof (often called a bath tub) is commonly credited for destroying most roofs they were installed on due to water intrusion. They're nearly impossible to seal well, as the large area of plastic expands and contracts at a much different rate than the roof does. Thought to be a good idea at the time, they were pretty popular. Once they'd been out for a while, the leaks became apparent, as well as what a pain in the butt to load/unload them. It's why you don't see them much any more...

The latex roof covering is a commonly used roof coating. Nothing special, or unusual. The fact it's peeling makes it obvious it's due to be serviced.

That's an ambitious project. Best of luck with it.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Yeah I hear ya. If I'm not mistaken, and you may already know of this.......but I've heard of an Apollo Sceptre club I think in California. Their mission is to locate and document all of the Sceptres produced in the 3 years of production. They are about 3/4 there. Sometimes the accounted for ones come up for sale, of course they're pricey, especially the meticulously restored ones. They're quite interesting rigs. It's neat you got to see a couple up close, I have yet to.

Anyway, again keep us posted on your progress. I've got one of my own I plan to reveal soon, it's rather unusual.

Regards,
W.D.
The two we found were in a salvage yard buried way in the back under some trees and several seasons of ivy. The owner of the yard was planning on using one as a guard shack and the other was too far gone due to a large limb crushing the center section. Both had been stripped of basically everything but the shell windows and chassis.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
That hideous stripe appears to be the same color and location as the original.

The storage pod on the roof (often called a bath tub) is commonly credited for destroying most roofs they were installed on due to water intrusion. They're nearly impossible to seal well, as the large area of plastic expands and contracts at a much different rate than the roof does. Thought to be a good idea at the time, they were pretty popular. Once they'd been out for a while, the leaks became apparent, as well as what a pain in the butt to load/unload them. It's why you don't see them much any more...

The latex roof covering is a commonly used roof coating. Nothing special, or unusual. The fact it's peeling makes it obvious it's due to be serviced.

That's an ambitious project. Best of luck with it.

Originally it didn't have a stripe according to the original owners. the pod was added it is actually mounted on an aluminum frame but will be coming off. The only things that will stay on the roof are the pluming vents and two sky lights. Then we are putting a solar array up there.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #19

That is almost identical to the RV my Dad bought new in 1977. Our unit had the same stripe (or extremely similar) from the factory. The pictures brought back memories of that rig. Same floor plan. Best of luck with your project!
Old 02-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #20

We did some preservation work on the roof Friday. Found that whoever did the latex-like sealer on it didnt clean properly and there were a few spots that ended up corroding a hole through the aluminum. the largest is about the size of a quarter.

The work was initially started because I noticed the luggage rack had one bracket that was slightly loose and has been the focus of more than a few shade-tree repairs.

The "seal" that covers the seam between the two sections on the front end had come a tad loose so we removed it and sealed it as well. now our roof looks like a dalmatian. LOL!!!

We also put an aluminum cover over the bathroom opening vent that had been demolished on the trip by a low hanging branch, removed the cargo container, and removed the luggage rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0226161124c.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	523.4 KB
ID:	120109   Click image for larger version

Name:	0226161124b.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	449.3 KB
ID:	120110  

Name:	0226161124a.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	499.2 KB
ID:	120111   Click image for larger version

Name:	0226161124.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	545.2 KB
ID:	120112  

Name:	0226161117b.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	609.3 KB
ID:	120113   Click image for larger version

Name:	0226161117a.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	459.2 KB
ID:	120114  

Name:	0226161117.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	120115  
Old 02-28-2016, 06:00 PM   #21

Here is a new one on me.....

Never had a lock do this before. LOL!!! Well lucky us we had picked up a virtually new factory latch at the salvage yard to replace this household mess.

Unlucky us the new latch we got was about half the size of the actual factory hole in out door.

Back to the hunt for the right one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0225161115b.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	120116   Click image for larger version

Name:	0225161115a.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	120117  

Name:	0225161115.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	120118  
Old 02-29-2016, 10:59 PM   #22

why are you removing the a/c's?
Old 03-20-2016, 08:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
why are you removing the a/c's?

Both my girlfriend and myself have medical conditions that make us very sensitive to cold.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #24

Sorry about not being on lately, my father passed on the 11th and it has been a trying week dealing with things.
We also found out Friday that we have a major snag. With no title the state of MS cannot help us obtain a title and the only way we can get one is to track down the last registered owner and have then obtain a duplicate title. unfortunately after a little over a decade of sitting in the motor park I found that there were many owners that I was not aware of that lived in it and owned it with no more than a bill of sale and the trail ran cold after one of the "owners" passed with no way to find who they purchased it from. If anyone has any ideas I am open to ideas. so far every option will run me about $2-3k.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
never heard that sensitive to cold ? wow. i am sensitive to heat when i was born
in 56 doctor told my folks to buy a a/c unit for my room. back then that was rare
in fact family said they were going to kill me with that new fangled crazy a/c
i stayed at hosp. for 6 weeks till they got a/c unit installed
Old 03-20-2016, 09:19 PM   #26

I have injuries to my neck and back that affect my nerves along with several forms of arthritis both are very sensitive to cold heat actually relieves them. She has some of the same plus reynauds syndrome. It can be rather aggravating at times like when you try to hold a can of soda fresh out of the cooler and it literally causes severe pain.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:20 PM   #27
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaJ38 View Post
Sorry about not being on lately, my father passed on the 11th and it has been a trying week dealing with things.
We also found out Friday that we have a major snag. With no title the state of MS cannot help us obtain a title and the only way we can get one is to track down the last registered owner and have then obtain a duplicate title. unfortunately after a little over a decade of sitting in the motor park I found that there were many owners that I was not aware of that lived in it and owned it with no more than a bill of sale and the trail ran cold after one of the "owners" passed with no way to find who they purchased it from. If anyone has any ideas I am open to ideas. so far every option will run me about $2-3k.

PapaJ,

First of all, sorry about your dad's passing. Wishing you God's comfort.

You may be in luck, I found this:
Register Off-Road Vehicles & RVs in Mississippi | DMV.org

Scroll down to Motorhomes/RV section. It states something in there that makes you exempt because your coach was made prior to 2000! If I'm reading it correctly. Hopefully you can get around this after all. I know you can use some good news.

Best regards,
W.D.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
sorry about your dad