Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
Lesli,

Love your photos and description. Looks like your beauty has/had the same bright brass fixtures and teal carpet that our 1998 Alumascape had. We're almost done with our remodel.

Your web site is very nice. Enjoyed reading the post about your remodel.

I'm almost tempted to paint our walls but our wallpaper isn't very "loud" and my SO says that he's not lifting a finger to paint.

liz
Yes, brass and teal -- oh so 90's chic! In another 20 years, we'll probably look back at the designer choices we're making now and laugh at ourselves -- oil rubbed bronze (which I currently love), bright teal furniture, yada yada. Oh well, it suits for now.

So far as painting the walls, we're so glad we did it because it made a huge difference in making it feel like home, not just a motorhome, and since we're fulltimers, that was important to us. On the other hand, it was a HUGE JOB! Bigger than I expected. It seems like such a small space and I didn't think it would take more than two days, but it took more like two weeks of semi-part- time painting. Painting the metal window edges added some painstaking labor to the whole deal, but once I'd started it, game on.

I hope you'll post pictures of your remodel when you're done. I'd love to see it. I have a lot more to post too, but haven't yet had the time to get it done.

Smiles,
RV.Lesli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Lesli;

Hubby is "suggesting" I paint the window frames as well, particularly in bedroom and bath. Question; did you do only the part of the frame that is flush against the interior wall, or did you do the inside channel as well?

I look at ours and it looks like a lot of brown metal to be covered.

Allison

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #45

Lesli,

I do plan to post before and after photos because the difference is striking. I've been posting "in progress" pictures (in the FW category, 1998 Alumascape project) but didn't really post any before photos except of the floor damage.

I was hoping to get all my photos taken this weekend. Alas, the loden twill slip cover for the sofa is on back order until sometime in July so I can only take some photos, unless I decide to go with sable suede instead and get it in next week.

Ours is going to be a part-time (weekends only, probably a couple of times a month, except less in summer and more during hunting season, him not me 'cause I don't "do" cold) cabin in the forest and the wallpaper isn't hideous so we can live with it. I definitely wouldn't paint the window frames, but it would still be a chore. I can definitely see that it is worth it to paint for full-timers, though.

Your backsplash is beautiful but I'm not tempted. We won't be spending much time cooking indoors, but that's the nature of our use of the place.

I really do enjoy seeing all the makeover and project pictures. It's fun to see what others are doing.

liz

P.S. My SO wanted to throw out the shiny brass cabinet handles and vanity light, but I think I'm going to put them on the classifieds here for free. Never know when someone might be restoring something vintage and need exactly those items, which are hard to find now since they're not in style. The padded headboard is probably already in the dumpster, though, because I can't imagine anyone wanting that when we have a gorgeous oak one. The cornices are going to be stored in a big plastic tub in a compartment in the trailer, in case someone ever wants to put them back in. Won't be us, though!
Old 06-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #46

Lesli,

Forgot to mention that I like your little table/bin holders (between the recliners and next to the TV stand). We have a narrow counter in the back of ours and will probably have our recliners facing the back window (to watch the wildlife) most of the time so there's space to park drinks and such there. Might be nice to have a little something between the recliners, if there's room, though, so that's a great idea that I might borrow.

liz
Old 06-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #47

Love it! Where did u find those magnetic spice holders? Great storage saver!
Amahlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #48

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amahlman View Post
I have the same type. Bought mine at ikea.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
SeniorChief, great work on the ol' woody. My Bounder needs pretty much a top to bottom makeover too, but I have neither the talent nor the drive to do as well as you have. Maybe I'll just put a K&N decal on her.. LOL

Have fun with the Fleetwood!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:21 AM   #50

Fantastic job! Gives me a whole far scape of ideas for mine.
2 things: with all that beautiful greenery there, why would you ever want to leave home? and, if that is an o2cool battery fan by the dash, pls do a g-search on line about them They have reportedly started a lot of fires. I have one that got so hot in low speed I couldn't touch it. Took it apart to find assembly screws went thru a wire. Also, they use a voltage dropping resistor to make slow speed, and it gets pretty hot. Set mine up for high speed only and it's ok so far.
allegroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
if that is an o2cool battery fan by the dash, pls do a g-search on line about them

Thanks for the heads up on the fan, allegroman; othe one in the pic is an Endless Breeze by Fantastic Fan, 12volt, so hopefully no safety issues, but we were contemplating getting an O2Cool for the back- guess we'll spend the extra money for another Endless Breeze!

Scary when you realize the poor level of quality control on some of this stuff.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amahlman View Post
Hi Amahlman, I used the Kamenstein Magnetic Spice Holders. I purchased them at Bed Bath and Beyond, but you can also find them on Amazon.com.

I also purchased an "off-brand" at my local Fred Meyers (because I needed 6 more holders and my closest BB&B is 2 hours away). Turns out the Fred Meyer ones weren't nearly as good as the Kamenstein brand. They looked just the same, but they're much harder to open or even to turn the lid to pour the spices.

If you're going to do the project, I really suggest you purchase the Kamenstein brand. Let me know if you do this in your RV. It was one of my favorite projects and provides such great storage!

Smiles,
Lesli
Old 07-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
Lesli,

Forgot to mention that I like your little table/bin holders (between the recliners and next to the TV stand). We have a narrow counter in the back of ours and will probably have our recliners facing the back window (to watch the wildlife) most of the time so there's space to park drinks and such there. Might be nice to have a little something between the recliners, if there's room, though, so that's a great idea that I might borrow.

liz
Hi Liz, I got the little tables at Ross for just $29.95 each. I painted the one between the chairs and left the one by the credenza in it's original black color. I got glass tops cut at my local glass dealer (about $8 each).

Smiles,
Lesli
Old 07-06-2011, 05:16 AM   #54

Lesli,

Thanks for the info. Those little tables look way more expensive than that. I don't think we have Ross here.

Since our recliners will be swiveled to face the TV and then around to face the back window, turns out that there's not enough room for something between them, but we did install one of those oak countertop extensions.

Am still working on the website. All the before/after photos are done, but I want to add some of the construction process.

liz
Old 11-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #55

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Moya

She's a beauty! How much did it cost to paint her? Who did the painting? We are in Houston and just bought a '91 Southwind.

Happy RVing!
Blueshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #56

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshoe View Post
She's a beauty! How much did it cost to paint her? Who did the painting? We are in Houston and just bought a '91 Southwind.

Happy RVing!

Hey blueshoe;

We painted her ourselves with Interlux Brightside marine paint, using the roll and tip method. Only the blue and charcoal is paint, the beige is the original fiberglass, shined up like new with RedMax Pro #3

Took a couple days and cost less than $100. We had new Southwind decals made up by a sign guy on ebay, about $9 a piece.

PM me if you have further questions.