Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #1

Overhead bunks

Anyone ever use those overhead bunks above the drivers area? I'd be afraid of someone falling out of the thing and getting hurt especially the grandkids. Seriously thinking about taking it out and filling in with wood and mounting a 19inch flatscreen in it. I've noticed most of the newer motorhomes don't have the bunk and have wooden cabinets above the dash which looks alot less cluttered. I also want to take the queen bed out and put 2 double beds in. My only problem is the fresh water tank is so wide it might not look right. They usually put a stand over the water tank between the beds but it would have to be half the length of the beds to cover it. Don't really want to change tanks. I've only seen 1 other old winnie with the bathroom sink outside the bathroom in the bedroom. What were they thinking back then. Oh well it will give me something to figure out this spring.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2011, 02:34 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
When I had a drop down bunk I used it to store the extra stuff while at camp. With the right bracket you still use the underside of the bunk to hang a TV while at camp. The DVD/VHS/SURROUND SOUND system can stay mounted in the bed section.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We used the drop down bunk in our old Winnie for storage of big, light and bulky stuff- we lengthened the "seat belts" that were used to secure the bunk in up position about 8" and it was good to go, even while driving.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had the overhead in a 88 Georgie Boy was one of the prime locations for our kids usually the twin girls would win out. Never had a problem with fall outs had side rails both sides.
The two of them never needed a ladder they just hopped up on back of chairs to access.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #5

overhead bunks

we are going to let our grand son sleep in ours thinking of putting up netting like in a big truck to keep him from rolling out by accident. just one thought
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi - we had a Class C for 5 year with the kids. Bought one of those children's bed rails for @ $30 from Toys R Us - stops the kids from falling out of bed, and set it up which worked great. Kept it up all the time, while driving and stationary. Stored losts of stuff during the rides - piillows, kids toys, blankets, etc.,) and took them down and both kids slept up top most of the time when we were stationary. Never fell out. Kids climbed up around the bed rail.
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #7

When vintage RVs weren't vintage , my brother and I slept in the overhead from a very young age. We had one of those bedrails to protect us until we were about 7 or 8 years old, then we stopped bothering with it.

Heck, every family we went camping with that had overhead beds had kids in them. We all survived with minimal damage.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jim, as far as changing the bedroom with twin beds on both sidewalls select one side probably the drivers side and find a fresh water tank that will fit under bed thats where it was in my class C.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:11 AM   #9

I thought about moving the water tank but it's like 36" long x 24" deep x 10" high. It's right in the middle back and figure it's there to balance the weight while driving. Plus the water heater and pump are on the drivers side which is closest to the water inlet. Thinking about just making a wide night stand over the water tank.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #10

Tanks For The Memories

Water Tanks interconnected near the Floor will equalize in level. While 'already paid for' Tanks are the best, perhaps 2 smaller Tanks under Platform Beds, to equalize filled weight and match/increase fresh Water capacity, would work. The 2nd, added Tank would need a separate 2nd Vent, just above the Tank, to let air escape while filling. I've done this on parallel Cistern Tanks; it works fine via the same principle as a Water Level. Tanks on Craig's List don't seem expensive.

So long as a repositioned single Tank has newly-extended Fill and Vent Tubes located above the Tank top, you could move the Tank to a new location and offset other weights you mention.

Several smaller Tubes between the Tanks would equal the flow inlet rate of one larger Tube. Smaller Tubes can snake around obstacles. There's various Tutorials, especially in the Boating World and at Tank Manufacturer or DIY Websites, on how to cut and seal new Fill and/or Vent Ports in Tanks with application-specific Glues. No Rocket Science.

I took the Bunk in a rented Class C ~1.5 years ago. During a 'Charley Horse' event at night, I slipped on the Ship's Ladder while clambering down and sliced my Leg open on a sharp corner of Dinette Seat Masonite. I'll spare the details, but it was quite the sticky, 'involuntary Blood Transfusion' mess.

A snap-in piece or two of Coat Closet Dowel; Shower Rod Tubing; or Conduit/Copper/thick wall PVC placed a bit above the Bed edge should ensure Kid safety. Or Geezer safety, as in my case... A small Copper 'Ladder', soldered up and snapped in horizontally, would be manageable and strong. Hot Water Pipe Insulation that slips on would provide a soft cover.

Nothing succeeds like success in the positive Bunk stories above. My story is not typical.
Engineer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote