RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:48 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Painting or Wrapping RV?

The DW would like to see our 2000 National RV Tradewinds (37") with a fresh exterior come spring. She is thinking that if it looks newer, maybe we can get into rv parks that have the rule of not letting in 10 year or older rv's.

Has anyone had their RV wrapped? Costs? Is painting easier/less costly? Anyone had a bad experience with either painting or wrapping their rv?

Any wrapping companies in the midwest?

I think it looks great right now, but if she is happier in a new looking coach maybe we will get to take more trips to "show it off."

Thanks for the input everyone,
Richard

City Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to blacktruck
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
The DW would like to see our 2000 National RV Tradewinds (37") with a fresh exterior come spring. She is thinking that if it looks newer, maybe we can get into rv parks that have the rule of not letting in 10 year or older rv's.

Has anyone had their RV wrapped? Costs? Is painting easier/less costly? Anyone had a bad experience with either painting or wrapping their rv?

Any wrapping companies in the midwest?

I think it looks great right now, but if she is happier in a new looking coach maybe we will get to take more trips to "show it off."

Thanks for the input everyone,
Richard
Can't say I have ever seen an RV done that I was aware of but you never know. I have had experience in getting a few semi trailers done for some promotional events a few years ago. It worked well and stood up to several power washings all around the US. The coverings lasted for a period of years and if I am not mistaken there is one or two still wearing it long after the promotion was over. We used a company in KC Mo. to design and install the wraps. I don't recall the name or the cost now. It was expensive to do them but far cheaper than painting the designs on as we found out at the time. I think the idea would be good but would depend on finding a company to do the design and installation would be the challenge if you did not want to travel to get it done. If you do, please post some pics of it. We all want to see.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #3

Jane has both the paint and the wrap accents. The wrap hasn't aged near as well as the paint.

I can remember when painting a car meant expensive paint was almost $100.00 per gallon. I imagine the new paints are ten times that with the special hardness and clears etc. Labor costs are about ten times more now too. So I can imagine an economy paint job on a motorhome starting at five grand and one that your wife would be proud of three to four times that. Wraps are kewel but I would bet five years would be a generous expectation of the life of it.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There was someone on here a few years ago that did the wrap. It came out very nice.

As far as the 10 year rule...have you ever been rejected? I think that's a little overblown on here. I've never been asked how old my coach was and we've hit all the lower 48 states.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mine is a 1992 and I've never been turned away either. And to me the front cap is looking rough.

I have wondered about the wrap also, something I would like to do.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:38 AM   #6

Take a trip down to Mexico
Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Paint Job at Navarro's in Los Algodones, Mexico
Old 02-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #7

wonder of their quality of base coat clear coat, and coat, I had the bottom (baggage doors down) of mine painted last year for 2200.00 and I supplied the materials other than tape and paper. Same person wants 4K to do there up. Can't imagine wrapping would look near as nice as a good paint job.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:26 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I rented a house in Los Algodones, Mx. for 4 1/2 years, and had some work done to my old beater car, a 1994 New Yorker. Had them fix the rust, and repaint the lower part of the car from a trim line down! Turned out very nice, quality was as good as up in the states, and the cost was 1/10th of the cost! Also had a new headliner put in, as the old one had come "un-glued" and was sagging very bad! 75.00 for the new headliner, 200.00 for the paint and rust repair! I did go talk to the shop in the video about painting my semi, and was told 2500.00 dls. But i retired, sold out, before i had it done! I saw their work many time's, and it was top shelf! These prices were about 5 to 6 years ago, so i'm sure they have went up since then! I also had one of the bar owners in town (George, from the Green Door) take me and introduce me, so i got the VIP price quote!
A MH would require a lot of paint, much more than my semi, for sure!

Rail!
Old 03-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Something I noticed in the video is when they were shown spraying the coach, sometimes they didn't have on any kind of mask at all, and other times wore only a paper nose/mouth mask. I never saw a fresh air supply, or a full face mask with cartridges to protect their lungs, .

I've done a bit of body work, and am pretty sure that hardeners contained in quality undercoatings, base coats, and clear coats will kill you.. dead..! So, since these guys do this for a living and still seem to be upright, what kind of paints are they using? I'm not sure about the toxicity of some of the newer water-based paints, but suppose they may have been using them. Still, it seems that any kind of paint like that would be quite hazardous to your lungs!
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:07 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Someone trying to make a living in Mexico doesn't worry about those thing. In fact most body shop guys in the good old USA never used that equipment 25 years ago. They had some lethal paints back then. I worked at a Ford dealer over 20 years. They were supposed to wear suits and head gear while painting, but they all complained about it.
Just feeling young and I mortal. I remember guys telling me they've been doing this for 20-30 years, and it never bothered them. Bet they aren't alive now.
This is one reason that a paint job costs triple in the US, regulations. But, these are important regulations.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:15 PM   #11
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
My brother died of pancreatic cancer just short of 51 years old. He owned a good size aviation business in Rockford Illinois, which included rebuilding and painting aircraft. He attributed his demise in good part to the chemicals involved in that.

W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II towing a 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511/ Good Sam/ Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:57 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
City Boy,
My Coach is wrapped, it was done by the previous owner. They tell me it was around $12,000, the full body paint is around $25,000. So the wrap is half the cost.
You can't see difference from about 5' away, as you get closer and look closely, you can see the seems, but you have to be looking for them. I've only had the coach since November, so I can't tell you how it will last, but just like everything else, a lot depends on how you take care of it, and what you use to protect the finish.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:05 PM   #13

Just a quick note on the 10 year rule, I have a 1997 Monaco Dynasty. It has been well cared for and does not leak, Still looks good though the colors are dated and some small areas of the clear coat are stating to peel. While I have never been rejected, I have been asked to provide a picture on several occasions. Will need to do something in the future I suspect which was why I was reading the attached posts.
HWYYHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:35 PM   #14

I have never been asked, until last week. I made reservations in an RV park on the south edge of Indianapolis, IN. Our youngest son is getting married there and we figured it would be a nice opportunity to make a leisurely trip back home after the wedding.
While making the reservations, the lady ask about the model year of our MH... she acted a little uncomfortable asking. When I told her "2014", she said, "Oh, you will be alright then".

I guess they would turn Cousin Eddie away

TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint