Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #15

Mixed rating from us. Lots of restrictions like not available in season, like winter in Florida, only a few sites for Passport members, lots of sub-standard campgrounds.
On the other hand if all you want a a place to park overnight, it may be OK if they have space. We have a had time finding them in locations and seasons when we want to be there. Some years we fail to save back the $44.
We stayed in a couple nice ones, but also stayed in one that took 2 moves from the original space to find one with working electrical. Apparently there are no standards or inspections to be a participating campground. (Also a problem with Good Sam & KOA) Let the camper beware!
With all campgrounds, we don't mind leaving when it looks like a hobo camp on arrival.
What I don't understand is why RVer's can pay 100's of thousands for an RV and then live in a sub-standard campground to save $10.00.
Paul Dobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 09:15 AM   #16

We like it. Pays for itself quick.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenochambers View Post
Any opinions on "Passport America?" Thinking about joining.
We've been Passport America members for 14 years....(because we travel a lot it has more than paid for itself every year).
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:05 AM   #18

Ohio State Parks and maybe others belong to the Passport America system, especially in the "shoulder season" . We check Passport America online first before looking at any other resource.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #19

We use it because there are convenient parks close to our kids or on the way there. We've not had much luck finding parks along the way in our travels. There is one upscale park in Paso Robles we use when we are traveling that way. I think it's important to research the parks in areas you will be traveling in and see if it will work for you.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have stayed in quite a few Passport parks and have only been disappointed twice. In both cases we looked at online reviews and they were very good. Someone phonied the reviews or didn't have very high standards.

To the poster who questioned saving $10 a night: Every $10 saved puts 4 gallons or more of fuel in the tank. In one Park we saved $30 per night and we stayed 4 days.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:38 PM   #21

$10 savings would be small potatoes for PA. The deal is 50% to get folks to come in the off times. That means no peak time deals. OTOH the going rate in the NE is $40-$50 for a decent cheap seat. Double that for the resorts. That makes one or two nights per year sufficient to make it worth paying for.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It doesn't always have to be non peak times to get the discount. We have called places that had day / date restrictions and still received the Passport deal. I guess it depends on how busy they are at that time? If in doubt call and ask about Passport rates, they can only say no.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
With all campgrounds, we don't mind leaving when it looks like a hobo camp on arrival.
What I don't understand is why RVer's can pay 100's of thousands for an RV and then live in a sub-standard campground to save $10.00.
Good luck to you on finding those up-standard campgrounds for $20 a night with a Full hookup. Not many of them around anymore.

Last summer I used my Passport America card in campgrounds that would cost you $35.50 to $50.40 a night. I will take that $17.75 & $25.20 savings a night. And non of them were sub-standard. They were not any non PA campgrounds in the area that would be less then what I paid for those PA camgrounds.

And when I bought my used RV 14 years ago I didn't pay 100's of thousands for it.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbin View Post
Mixed rating from us. Lots of restrictions like not available in season, like winter in Florida, only a few sites for Passport members, lots of sub-standard campgrounds.
On the other hand if all you want a a place to park overnight, it may be OK if they have space. We have a had time finding them in locations and seasons when we want to be there. Some years we fail to save back the $44.
We stayed in a couple nice ones, but also stayed in one that took 2 moves from the original space to find one with working electrical. Apparently there are no standards or inspections to be a participating campground. (Also a problem with Good Sam & KOA) Let the camper beware!
We have stayed is some pretty nice Passport America campgrounds that we would go back to in a minute, and some really bad and expensive KOA campgrounds that I would never step foot at again. Sometimes you never know what you will get till the arrival.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:52 AM   #25

I don't think PA campgrounds are any better or worse than any other ones, Pachenga is one of the nicest parks we've stayed in and it accepts PA, and we stayed in the best spot in the park. Kit Fox in Patterson, CA is certainly not upscale, but a great overnight stop on our way up north. Like all places we choose to stay we need to check out the reviews. You can't beat the 50% discount when available. They aren't every where so you have to see if they are where you want to go. If there aren't any parks or campgrounds that accepts it where you want to go, then it doesn't help you.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
Pechanga is one of the nicest parks we've stayed in and it accepts PA
Now if Pala would get in PA, that would be very nice.

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #27

Just renewed for 3 years, we get a lot of value from PA. As I posted in another thread we stayed 3 weeks at a PA park this November, all at the 50% rate. The park info said 3 days max but a quick ask got me more time. The savings over that period more than paid my membership for the foreseeable future.
I have stayed in excellent PA parks and mediocre PA parks just as I have stayed at similar parks with Good Sam and KOA. It's not the club association that makes a great park, it's the owner.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd75mac View Post
Now if Pala would get in PA, that would be very nice.

Haven't checked them out yet, supposed to be very nice.