Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #1

Peacenic - 1973 project

Greetings all. Sage advice suggested vintage forum, so hopefully am where I should be. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Just took delivery of... (!) a project. '73 Model D27CI is in remarkable shape for facing many yrs MN weather virtually abandoned. Guarded excitment grew with discovery of every feature including original literature! She's straight and solid... eh, except roof/ceiling. Believe age took its toll on aluminum skin and load(s) help set in motion what I have now. Plywood delaminated and ceiling hanging under roof rack. With any luck will fit through door to live in pole bldg as long as it takes, but where and/or how to start?

I see AC/pwr steering belt is off and AC compressor case is cracked. Said compressor relate to Thermo-King unit on roof over driver seat? The adventure begins.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2010, 04:50 AM   #2

your at the right site there it lots of great people here keep us informed on progress good to see your here
dave

Old 04-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Here is my roof replacement project. On my '73 Indian there was not even a good place to keep, so it all came off. Let me know if I can help. Les
Old 04-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Peacenic,

Is that a class c rv?

Regarding the roof a/c, I would say it's highly unlikely that the compressor under the hood has anything to do with the roof a/c, unless you happen to see high and low pressure lines running to/from it. Most likely it's the chassis a/c that is shot. I have no direct experience with a '73 vintage rv but that's my best guess. I do know there's still a Thermo King web site so if you can find a model number on the roof unit you might locate more info at:

T H E R M O . K I N G | bvp detection - one moment please...

PS People here love photos and they generally get more responses

Bob

If you're in a hurry, you shouldn't be RV'ing
RVee'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:34 AM   #5

Thanks folks! Pictures... (duh!)... glad I thought of it.
Having trouble deciding which motor... label on rocker cover lists all, book lists 318 (not) and 440. Other people have said 360 and 413. Winnebago helpful, but only went back to '75. Definately Mopar, but which one?
Has newer battery and actually took charge (!) which allowed confirmation motor not stuck from sitting. Coool!
Old 04-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Try this site to i.d. your engine.
Mopar Casting Numbers
J
Old 04-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Love the older RVs. Let's get some photos up.

ken
Old 05-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #8

You may be able to identify the model you have by using the Winnebago brochures at Previous Model Year Product Information
Enter the year of your rig.

VIN number on a title may or may not be based on the chassis VIN. Winnebago builds the house on a mfg chassis (Dodge, GM, John Deere, etc.) Dodge (Fargo) VIN is the one you need for chassis parts. Dodge ID plate is usually under driver window
or in the radiator service area (open radiator access grill in front of rig) on drivers side.
Most Winnebagos were built on the previous year chassis so, a 73 would most likely be on a 72 chassis. 27Ft model is most likely on a M375 chassis (M400 [RM350]) and would typically have a 413. 318 would be too small for that chassis. 413 has the spark plugs on top of the exhaust manifold. 440-3 (first installed in 73 chassis) has the spark plugs under the exhaust manifold.

For a class A rig, you are going to need both the Dodge MH service (69-73) and parts (69-77) manual. You do not get these through Winnebago.

There is lots of information out there. Search the web for Classic Winnebagos.

The "Eyebrow" Winnebago Coach Service Manual covers 73 and earlier rigs but most of the information applies up through 78. Available through Classic Winnebagos & Vintage RVs!

Most house parts (depends on item) are mostly a junkyard find or self built.

Dave
Old 05-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #9

Progress, however small is still progress. I cling to that notion. Appears to be 413 cid engine in '72 Mopar chassis as suggested. Thanks. Now let's see if I can manage an image or two.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:42 AM   #10

Guess 'digitally challenged' applies to camera too. Last image shows rear ceiling/roof vent falling down. Others self evident.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winnebago 009.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	4047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winnebago 008.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	4048  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Winnebago 007.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	4049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winnebago 011.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	4050  

Old 05-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #11

The Winnebago brochure is at http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...eftain-bro.pdf

On page 9 you will see it says you have M-375 chassis with a 413.

Dave
Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #12

Thanks Les. Your album is most encouraging. Now if I can just make space in my pole bldg....

On unrelated note, what's my best bet to acquire correct transmission for '71 Brave with 318 motor? At least its roof is sound.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
318 engine/trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacenic View Post
Thanks Les. Your album is most encouraging. Now if I can just make space in my pole bldg....

On unrelated note, what's my best bet to acquire correct transmission for '71 Brave with 318 motor? At least its roof is sound.
I have both a 318 engine and attached transmision in running condition...I live in desert of AZ. thadleybaxter@msn.com if interested.