Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:10 AM   #1

Talked to the flooring expert at Lowes and he has some concern about installing Pergo wood flooring in a MH because of the amount of movement that a MH has in it's floor.Any comments???.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2008, 03:10 AM   #2

Talked to the flooring expert at Lowes and he has some concern about installing Pergo wood flooring in a MH because of the amount of movement that a MH has in it's floor.Any comments???.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:45 AM   #3

I just installed a like wood floor in myrental apt and the floor just floats once snapped together.Leave a 1/8" or so around the edges and it will work fine.Lay dow a good base paper,take your time with the cuts.I made and used templates,takes time but worth the effort.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I though part of the claim to fame of the Pergo and like floors were that they were free floating and could move which prevent buckling. Sounds like the Lowe's employee does not know his product very well.

I would call the manufacturer and ask rather than a "flooring expert" at Lowe's.

Ken

Ken
Old 09-25-2008, 04:26 AM   #5

We put them only in the bathroom of our 72 Nomad TT. A year later, lots of bouncing. No problem. But of course it is a very small area. We have thought about eventually putting pergo in The Beast. My only thing is no matter what kinda floor. I have a 5 and 9 year old that can be sure to show you how easily it can be messed up

Walkerbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:08 AM   #6

Do a search on this forum and on RV.NET. You will find a lot of people have done just what you propose. Many have pictures including step by step.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:47 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We installed Armstrong laminate flooring rather than Pergo. Consumer Reports testing indicated that the wear resistance was a little better than Pergo.

Last fall we pulled up all of the carpet (except in the cabin area)and installed the flooring.

The motor home has been from CO to AZ to CO to MT and back down to CO. Some of the roads have been pretty rough in places, so far no problems.

We live in our motor home full time and really like the ease of cleaning it and keeping it looking good compared to carpet.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
It wasn't that long ago, a gentleman in the Truck Camper forum on RV.net installed a Teak floor in his camper. It expensive, but ultimately the most ideal as its very hard and very durable.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #9

didn't know pergo made wood flooring. every piece i've seen is wood appearing laminate over a water absorbing base.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
To my best knowledge, that's what all Pergo products are. Veneer on a chipboard or particle board base.

Hence why I suggested a real hardwood floor, like the teak example which would be more suited to the abuse an RV floor normally takes.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gary, I had them put down a new floor with Pergo!! It is in our bathroom and through-out the home. So far no buckling and still looks like new! I only wish we had switched to a different color. That is the only thing. Ours is a Class A.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:15 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The linoleum in my old Adventurer started to discolor from the glue that Winnebago used. My options were to remove and replace it (after Winnebago refused to do anything about it), or just go over it with a laminate. I decided to install Pergo. I thought it would be easier than removing and replacing the old linoleum, but it turned out to be more of a time consuming job than I had calculated. I had to make countless cuts to accommodate the many different tight angles. There were places were I couldn't nail down the quarter round trim because I wasn't sure of what was on the other side of the wall and/or floor, so I ended up using liquid nails.

All said and done though, it turned out beautifully. A year later I had a plumbing leak in the galley. I was scared that the water had damaged the Pergo, but it looked fine after everything dried, so it is durable stuff.

Hope this helps...

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #13

Yes that does help.Call me crazy,I understand why this kind of flooring is so important to a RV given camp sites and dust and dirt.But intend to fultime in this RV.I want both this kind of flooring and carpet that goes up to my ankles and tile in the bathroom.When I get out of bed,I want to step down on carpet and be the spoiled old brat that I am.In the bathroom,tile like marble.Tile at the entrance of the RV for those dirty shoes.Man-oh man,how am I going to lay this one out??.LOL
Old 10-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Very carefully!!Yes!!!

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote