Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #15

Just make sure the roof doesnt leak and anything else you can worry about later. I am restoring my camper now from years of leaks and the damage water has done over time is just horrible. Have fun!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yes, there does seem to be water damage in places, but it seems like more from windows left open or water from the A/C draining inside instead of out. None of it seems to be up high. We are having the hottest, driest summer EVER with no end in sight, so I really don't know about leaks or the need to worry about them for a while anyway. I suppose I could get the hose out and just lay it on the roof and let it run for a while then step inside and see if water drips somewhere? But what if the leak goes between the paneling and the exterior? How would I know about something like that?

New2Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #17

Foremost, enjoy it and fix things as you find time between trips. As for the cabinets, maybe you can get a stain to match the birch and stain instead of paint.

The first priorities are to be sure everything is road worth and safe, then start on cosmetics. Good luck and enjoy...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #18

Usually if there is a leak somewhere inside a wall, there would be a stain or some evidence of a prolonged leak. Also you might check for soft spots in the paneling.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Question Safety and road worthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
Foremost, enjoy it and fix things as you find time between trips. As for the cabinets, maybe you can get a stain to match the birch and stain instead of paint.

The first priorities are to be sure everything is road worth and safe, then start on cosmetics. Good luck and enjoy...
What, exactly, am I checking when checking for safety and road worthiness? Need those simple 1-2-3 steps here again, folks!

I know tires are very important here, so we've checked those. It was towed about 45 miles from point of purchase to my home without incident. We've plugged it in and all the electricity worked and nothing sparked or caught on fire. Now what else do I need to be absolutely certain about before taking it out to a campground for a couple of nights?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #20

Maggie, If the tires are older than 6 or 7 years, they should really be replaced, regardless of how good they look. Do a search on tires and there will be tons of information about them in old posts. How about the brakes and wheel bearings. My guess would be the wheel bearings need to be regreased unless you know they were done recently.
I'm thinking that if you towed it 45 miles, then your hitch and related parts are OK. Brake lights, turn signals, etc.

Be sure to carry some extra fuses of sizes in your TT.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Hitch Weight

Need to be mindful of weight distribution when loaded for travel. You need 10% of total loaded trailer weight on tongue. So if loaded trailer is 3000 pounds, tongue weight would need to be 300 pounds. And of course, hitch would need to be able to handle those weights...........ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #22

I love that shot with the kids in the trailer. It reminds me of when my grandparents had a Shasta motorhome back in the early 70's. I remember it like it was yesterday. That photo screams "good times" and whenever the kids look at it, they will remember!!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Maggie,

I agree with everyone else, don't worry about the cosmetic stuff-- if she is safe, get out and enjoy her. On your 'off' camping weekends, is when you do the other stuff.

As for tires, WayneM posted this great link that explains how you can look and see how old those tires are: Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

Even if they look like they've barely been used, if they are too old, they can still blow out, when you are traveling, and trust me, you do NOT want that to happen!

As for leaks; resealing is easy, just time consuming. Take a scraper and start removing all of the roof seam caulk. When you are done with that, clean the seams and make sure that any residue is gone.

Then caulk the seams with a good RV caulk (do not use household caulk). In caulking, you get what you pay for, go with a good brand.

I don't know if you have caulked but don't worry about pretty, you're up on the roof anyway Don't be stingy with the caulk. Make sure that those seams are completly covered with a good overlap on both sides.

I have an 18' TT and I striped and recaulked the entire roof in a weekend. Like I said, not hard, just time consuming. Especially as some idiot put bathroom caulk over the old RV caulk... geez, what a mess!

After you get the roof done, then start on the windows and around the door, A/C. Any place, on the sides, that have a seam. Take it a side at a time. Another reason to do the sides last as you will become very good with a caulk gun, on the roof, and your beads will look great by the time you are ready for the sides

If you look at the whole TT, it may seem overwhelming. But if you break that down to one small section at a time, it's not so bad. Remember, you bought this ol' girl to go camping and make memories with your family-- all the rest you fit in when you have the time.

I was surprised to find that working on my TT was very relaxing and I enjoy it. I've had her for four years now and am still working on her. I could have been done ages ago but am doing it in sections and not letting the work, and the rest of my life, overwhelm me. And I take her out about once or twice a month camping. If someone doesn't like the way she looks, they can look elsewhere.

The only thing to remember is HAVE FUN!!

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Awesome advice and directions, Sheila. Thanks so much! I can understand what you mean about it being relaxing. I look forward to my project(s) being the same for me. (I just made that plural because I will only do it a little at a time, too. Not because I will be doing more than one trailer!) I did finally name the little thing. Named her Minnie (because she it my mini mobile meditation station - I already just go out to the yard and sit in there to get away. Maybe I should have named her CALGON!) Hahaha. May change it. Calgon, take me away!!! Might need to take a poll on her name.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Calgon.... I like that!!! Yep, when I take my little rig out, I immediately relax. It's like it is pumping endorphines into me while I am driving and when I get to my camping spot, all my cares have fallen away.

I, originally, bought my TT for dog shows and now I only use it maybe one tenth for shows, the rest of the time I'm camping. Wish I would have gotten her years ago but I am making up for lost time now

Take care,

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog 98 View Post
I love that shot with the kids in the trailer. It reminds me of when my grandparents had a Shasta motorhome back in the early 70's. I remember it like it was yesterday. That photo screams "good times" and whenever the kids look at it, they will remember!!
Funny you should mention that! I used to "camp" in my grandparents back yard in their trailer in the early '70's in Connecticut when we would go to visit on holidays or in the summers. It's something I still remember so fondly and I told my kids that was part of the reason I got this. (They were a little confused when mom just all of a sudden had a trailer parked next to the house ) I know it will get a little crowded, as I have two 17 year olds (one mine by birth, the other by choice), a thirteen year old and an eleven year old, along with my boyfriend and myself, but we probably won't all be going at the same time EVERY time, and even if we do, so what if it's crowded if you love each other, right?
Old 08-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
That's the spirit, Maggie!

And if you think you're crowded, take a look at Sheila's signature (PNWGirl).
She's traveling with 7 Pomeranians!
Like you said, if you love 'em, they'll fit.

Francesca
Old 08-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We got an old '77 Pacer and got it roadworthy, then off we went, first park we sprang a leak somewhere, not sure and didn't care it wasnt bad. Off we went again, just enjoying life, next park we blew the plumbing all together, didn't have much of a problem finding that leak, had to disconnect the city water.
For the next two weeks we pulled the hose in through a window to wash the dishes, heated the water on the stove, flush the john and such, showered at the public showers. Still enjoyed every part of the trip.
Heard a couple of chuckels from the neighbors too.
Mind you we are 67 years old.
We have upgraded since then but still loving the memories.

Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote