Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2015, 07:51 AM   #1

Pinion Seal Leaking

Hi Folks!

Have an 1984 Vogue Diesel. Loosing lots of oil out my differential pinion seal. Coating the back of the rig.

Was looking for some help on where I should look for the new seal. Would replace it myself, but unlike my car, this rig has truck parts from a number of manufacturers. Not sure who is a supplier?

Any help getting started would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim
JSutton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2015, 07:54 AM   #2

This is a pic of the numbers on the side of the differential and one of my rig. Hopefully they uploaded.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-08-03 19.55.31.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	102043

Name:	2014-08-26 08.09.23.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	102044
Old 08-04-2015, 08:02 AM   #3

If it's leaking anyway, pull it out and get the number off it. If no # take it to a bearing and seal place to help ID it.

Look for a plugged vent. Then look for wire or fishing line wrapped in it or a loose pinion bearing. They usually last a long time.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #4

wire in the vent or in the seal?

I muscled around the drive shaft. Don't feel and play or wobble.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:23 AM   #5

One caution, the seal is behind the large pinion nut. This nut also controls the bearing preload on the pinion bearings. So do not just go and loosen it up to remove the yoke without some pre-removal steps. Best is to check the preload with an inch-pound torque wrench. Also count/mark the threads so you put the nut back on exactly same place. This can take place of the torque wrench. If you do not se the preload back at correct value, the bearings could burn up if too tight or the rearend could make noise if too loose.

The pinion nut is very tight, like a couple hundred foot pounds or more. If all this is beyond your capabilities, take to a shop that specializes in rearend work. They will know how to do it.

Once apart, the seal will have a number you can trace and cross-reference, and should be able to get a new one that is the same. Any good bearing house will also have seals and be able to look up the number on your old seal.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #6

Thanks! I was aware of the bearing load issue. And from past work on the rig I have obtained a torque multiplier and a one inch socket set, so I should be able to get it off.

Thanks for your input!

I am going to look for a vent, as I don't remember seeing one. I would assume a vent issue could force the oil out as the rear end heats up.

The seal that on there looks like it was recently replaced. I am wondering if there is not an issue with the metal that the seal comes in contact with or if they purchased the correct seal.

Name:	2015-08-03 19.55.27.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	102052

Name:	2015-08-03 19.59.55.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	102053
Old 08-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #7

Take the driveshaft loose.then remove pinion yoke nut.and remove yoke. Remove the bolts on the seal flange and remove flange. Press old seal out of flange and remove any gasket sealer on flange and differential.Replace seal and use a new nut on pinion shaft torque to spec probably min 450 ft lbs.You can get everything you need at TruckPro, Fleetpride, etc. Use new u joint straps and bolts also.U joint straps pinion nuts etc are all one use items.
stumpnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:52 PM   #8

Well, I can see from the picture, that that little "I inside the H" is an International Harvester casting. You need more pictures and the axle tag codes to let a Technician in parts to help you.

Do you live in or near a large town that might have a Axle repair shop or maybe a NAPA can help with axle identification and parts replacement.

I live in rural area and our NAPA does all the farm parts for tractors/farm trucks, and I know older International Harvester(grain trucks), are a big part of farming.
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #9

You may want to check your oil level in the rear end housing before you take anything apart.

If it's overfilled, it would cause oil to seep out of the pinion also. That along with the above mentioned vent is just something you want to be aware of.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #10

Take the rig to Catco if you have one close otherwise check with NAPA
wisconsinjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, seal