Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2018, 06:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
How can I check to see if the solenoid needs replacing? Can I jump the connection somehow?

Sent from my XT1254 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Do you have a voltmeter? If not, get one, you are going to need it with a motorhome. Even a super cheap one from the department store will be a big help. If you are not familiar with using it. I'm sure there are some youtube videos that can get you started.

First thing to check is the output from the jack control. The solenoid can have one or two terminals on the control side (the small ones), yours looks to have two. One should be a ground (one wire types ground through the mounting strap) and the other is the signal from the control. With the control on and one of the levers in the "extend" position you should have something close to battery voltage measured between the control terminal and ground. You said your solenoid clicks so I think this side of the circuit should be good.

The output side of the solenoid transfers power from one "big" terminal to the other. the side connected to the battery should read 12ish volt all the time (measured to ground). The terminal on the other side (connected to the motor) should read 12ish volts when the solenoid clicks in. If not the contacts inside the solenoid have given up, time to replace.

If the solenoid is connecting power to the motor but its not turning then you have a motor problem. You can test the motor by removing the battery lead from the solenoid and jumping it directly to the stud on the motor or the output terminal of the solenoid... it should run. But be VERY carful doing this, once you have that battery lead disconnecting if it touches any thing grounded (virtually any metal on the RV), it like a hi amp welder and if it arcs it can stick and you are possibly looking at fire and or exploded batteries (lets hope there is a circuit breaker in the mix somewhere). If the thought of doing this makes you uncomfortable then don't do it.

I don't think the motor can be separated from the hydraulic pump/tank unit so to deal with you bad motor stud you will likely have to drop the whole thing. Be sure to disconnect the batteries (ground side) before getting started on this (see warning above). And be ready for a bit of a mess when you disconnect the hydraulic lines.

If you want to reconnect the batteries while you have the pump out for repair be sure to remove the cable back to the batteries or at least insulate the bare end very well and zip tie it in a position where it can't touch anything.

Gary
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #16

Thanks Gary, I've got some work to do this weekend
ManInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #17

Right, so weird stuff happens sometimes. I went out to mess with the jacks today and decided I'd try them out first. They seem to be working perfectly. No idea why. Not complaining, just happily confused.

When the red warning light comes on, does that mean the jack is near the end of it's travel?
Old 09-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
Right, so weird stuff happens sometimes. I went out to mess with the jacks today and decided I'd try them out first. They seem to be working perfectly. No idea why. Not complaining, just happily confused.

When the red warning light comes on, does that mean the jack is near the end of it's travel?
Mine worked on and off for a while before the solenoid failed completely, I hope yours hold out.

Mine has a red light on the dash that comes on if any of the jacks are not in the full up position. The individual red lights on the control indicate that the jack is not fully up. One my setup the jacks fold up 90 degrees, and the red lights come on when the jacks are vertical but not extended.

Gary
All_talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #19

Mine came on when the jacks were extended most of the way.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #20

Intermittent operation sounds like a solenoid to me.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks