Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Polishing up

This may be old news to some but I figure its almost spring and its time to at least start thinking about polishing.
I have a manufacturing facility and am in an industrial area with a lot of truckers as neighbors and there is a young guy that comes around and does polishing and cleaning and I wanted to share the primary stuff he uses for polishing things like Alcoa Wheels and aluminum tanks and such to a near mirror finish.
He shaves down polishing rouge...green polishing rouge(see image) into as fine a flakes as he can and then adds and mixes with mineral spirits to create a desired consistency for the job at hand...a more dull finish it's a paste while a cleaner, brighter starting point is more of a liquid polish....then of course lots of elbow grease...My Alcoas were very rough when I first purchased my coach, like white they were so oxidized, as was my SS awning components and some very nifty Beaver side marker lights and such and in the course of a day he got them all mirror bright. I do a routine maintenance on them to keep them bright with the very same mixture. Absolutely like no other metal polish I have ever used even in my marine days. I have purchased a buffing wheel as well and have done a few of my Turbo tubes and am going to remove the balance and polish them up as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File Mar 09, 11 57 58 AM.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	88130   Click image for larger version

Name:	frontwheel.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	88133  

jmm2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nice! Thanks for the tip.

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes thank you, And on a Contessa too
I wonder if it would help out my hub Cap's, I have them this far, still a lot of pitting if you click on Pic it will let you zoom in to see pitting See below.
The guy dose great work.
I need to find someone to wax my MH. Don't think I will be able too this year. Know anyone in the Mpls Area ?
Thanks for sharing,
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1342.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	88159  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:24 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
My parents had boats and I worked on some pretty incredible yachts and anything that had a gelcoat anywhere there was always at least a partial case of Amway Silicon glaze around and I believe it's still available today. Come to think of it I am going to grab some myself though in the later spring I am going to get some paint on my beast. I will tell you to get done to Lowes or HD and grab the Delta polisher as its invaluable to have if you own a vintage RV?
Old 03-10-2015, 08:54 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How does it work on removing oxidization?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
The Amway I used to use which I am told is still available was about as good as anything I have ever used bringing a dull oxidized surface back to life...it was a cleaner/wax and I believe now it is referred to as the silicone glaze...I also hear some very good things about a McGuires product as well that is a cleaner/sealant.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Looks great. I used some Tripoli and Jewelers Rouge on my Accuride polished wheels on my 03 Dynasty when I first purchased it because they were very neglected.

Now once or twice a year I run around them with some Busch's Aluminum polish to keep them looking great.

Thanks for sharing the tip. Wheels look great.

Like the older Contessa's. We had a 38' 1991 Beaver Contessa prior to our 03 Dynasty. Great coach and I love the unique style/look they have.

Mike.
zmotorsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #8

We have a "91" Marquis and our wheels just don't want to polish although I have tried everything I can, so I guess I will try your suggestion. One thing I did do that worked out great was the three chrome Marquis pieces on the coach that was all pitted and ugly looking that I was quoted $100 each to rechrome.....well here is what I did, I first removed them (five pop rivets drilled out), sanded them with a fine belt sander paper and them bought some self adhesive chrome vinyl from a sign shop that I used to own and stuck it to the Marquis part and carefully cut around each letter with an exacto knife and riveted them back on, they look great, cost under $25.00. About every three years I have to redo them, but I had enough vinyl left from the first job to do them two times since I bought the vinyl. Happy motoring, Mike
Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #9

Thanks for the info.