Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Morris, IL.
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
We use these guys:

Coach-Net

-cheers
can't all this be covered with full coverage State Farm?
__________________

__________________
1989 Champion LaSalle 34' 454 ci always doing something to it
Deano56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Piker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
can't all this be covered with full coverage State Farm?
I really have no idea. We dont use State Farm, and have had the same insurance for our home and auto since we were old enough to have insurance.

The towing aspect of coach net was appealing to us. They will tow you any distance to the nearest service center that is qualified to work on your rig. Having an old diesel pusher with a cummins Allison combo that can't be worked on in some smaller garages, it seemed to make sense. Heck, even changing a tire on our rig is a big ordeal, which coach net also covers. The lugs are called bud-lugs and are identical to what you find on large semis... Albeit only 6 of them instead of 10 or 12. They require rediculous torque to remove and reinstall...

Coach net also covers us in our cars too...

These are just a couple reasons why we went with coach net. There is also good Sam... And some others that are pretty good too. For less than $100 per year, it seems like a value.

Cheers
__________________

__________________
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:31 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Morris, IL.
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
I really have no idea. We dont use State Farm, and have had the same insurance for our home and auto since we were old enough to have insurance.

The towing aspect of coach net was appealing to us. They will tow you any distance to the nearest service center that is qualified to work on your rig. Having an old diesel pusher with a cummins Allison combo that can't be worked on in some smaller garages, it seemed to make sense. Heck, even changing a tire on our rig is a big ordeal, which coach net also covers. The lugs are called bud-lugs and are identical to what you find on large semis... Albeit only 6 of them instead of 10 or 12. They require rediculous torque to remove and reinstall...

Coach net also covers us in our cars too...

These are just a couple reasons why we went with coach net. There is also good Sam... And some others that are pretty good too. For less than $100 per year, it seems like a value.

Cheers
for that price I will call them
__________________
1989 Champion LaSalle 34' 454 ci always doing something to it
Deano56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Morris, IL.
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
for that price I will call them
looks like the road trip with our MH is off, since 2 of our daughters and there families are now coming with, we will be staying in a hotel. Oh well, next time
__________________
1989 Champion LaSalle 34' 454 ci always doing something to it
Deano56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:37 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
BA-in-Mich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 472
Mine is one of the last of the carbureted engines. I replaced the intank fuel pump on mine last summer because I replaced all of the fuel lines on the tank. I wasn't having any problems nor do I want to have any like that on the road. After I pulled the fuel pump I took it to Carquest and did a match by looking through their books. It was a perfect fit. I had to have a custom fuel line line made because there was nothing available. I'm sure if something like this went bad on the road it would be quite costly. Peace of mind is a good thing. As far as bleeding the brakes, break one line at a time and let it drain on its own. It took me about two hours to do this on mine.
__________________
1990 28' Georgie Boy, 454, 4bbl, Thorley Headers, Recurved Distributor, 8.75 mpg. RVM 76
BA-in-Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Morris, IL.
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-in-Mich View Post
Mine is one of the last of the carbureted engines. I replaced the intank fuel pump on mine last summer because I replaced all of the fuel lines on the tank. I wasn't having any problems nor do I want to have any like that on the road. After I pulled the fuel pump I took it to Carquest and did a match by looking through their books. It was a perfect fit. I had to have a custom fuel line line made because there was nothing available. I'm sure if something like this went bad on the road it would be quite costly. Peace of mind is a good thing. As far as bleeding the brakes, break one line at a time and let it drain on its own. It took me about two hours to do this on mine.
I would like to put headers and a good exhaust on sometime this summer. What does recurving the distributor do for you?
__________________
1989 Champion LaSalle 34' 454 ci always doing something to it
Deano56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:24 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Piker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
I would like to put headers and a good exhaust on sometime this summer. What does recurving the distributor do for you?
It changes the rate at which the timing is advanced through the range of rpm. You can tune the engine to produce horsepower higher up or lower down in the range.

-cheers
__________________
1994 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE - Engine Rebuilt and Restoration in Process
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:51 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bartlesville Oklahoma
Posts: 1,222
I have state farm road service. If I was hauling a toad and travel more then I do with the MH (2000 miles a year) I would go with CN over SF. Make sure if going SF you have coverage H



https://www.statefarm.com/claims/res...-road-service/
__________________
1996 Damon DayBreak 454 P37 Chassis
Lifemember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
BA-in-Mich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 472
I had mine recurved a few years ago. It made a world of difference. It was like night and day as far as acceleration. and the fuel economy was an added plus. I went from around 6.7- 7 miles to 8.5+. I cost me $125 to have the distributor rebuild and recurved. I went from around 25 degrees max advanced to 43 degrees max advanced. There used to be a guy on here whose name was Jim Elliott. He has since past but boy what a book of knowledge about the 454.
__________________
1990 28' Georgie Boy, 454, 4bbl, Thorley Headers, Recurved Distributor, 8.75 mpg. RVM 76
BA-in-Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Morris, IL.
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-in-Mich View Post
I had mine recurved a few years ago. It made a world of difference. It was like night and day as far as acceleration. and the fuel economy was an added plus. I went from around 6.7- 7 miles to 8.5+. I cost me $125 to have the distributor rebuild and recurved. I went from around 25 degrees max advanced to 43 degrees max advanced. There used to be a guy on here whose name was Jim Elliott. He has since past but boy what a book of knowledge about the 454.
so you used the stock distributor or aftermarket? I sure could use some added mpg, I think I'm around 6 at best with a fresh tune
__________________
1989 Champion LaSalle 34' 454 ci always doing something to it
Deano56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
BA-in-Mich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 472
Stock distributor, All that was changed on mine was the springs. ( but sometime the weights also ) After he got done rebuilding and recurving the distributor, it looked like brand new. I also found a guy that rebuilt my carb. ( Qjet )
__________________
1990 28' Georgie Boy, 454, 4bbl, Thorley Headers, Recurved Distributor, 8.75 mpg. RVM 76
BA-in-Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:29 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Morris, IL.
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-in-Mich View Post
Stock distributor, All that was changed on mine was the springs. ( but sometime the weights also ) After he got done rebuilding and recurving the distributor, it looked like brand new. I also found a guy that rebuilt my carb. ( Qjet )
did you have the pollution pumps on yours? If you did how difficult was it to get the correct belt lengths?
__________________
1989 Champion LaSalle 34' 454 ci always doing something to it
Deano56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:44 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bamber Lake
Posts: 364
The earth is round and you will not fall off. Seriously! Traveling around and across this great country for the past 40+ years I've had breakdowns/problems and found great people to help get us back on the road. So do your trip prep, don't fix it if it ain't broke, and take off and no matter what you come across on Pee Wees great adventure you'll figure it out. Trust me! Oh ya one more thing a quote from my 102 year old Grandmother when ever I hit a bump in the road of life "you born in this country" to the point, no.
__________________

__________________
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Road trip/Road conditions to Wyoming D-S iRV2.com General Discussion 5 07-02-2015 08:50 PM
On the road to being on the road full time! Heiferyung New Member Check-In 9 07-09-2014 02:05 PM
Road Trip Pawnee Dan RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories 1 02-05-2009 06:47 AM
First road trip repairs W&D+3 Damon 6 04-25-2007 06:02 PM
Possible Road Trip -- Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach Newgma Southeast Region 4 09-17-2005 06:40 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.