Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #1

Possible road trip

I am thinking of taking our motorhome on a 1300 mile round trip from here in Illinois to central Pennsylvania. I have never had it much further than 180 miles from home once, so I'm a little concerned about going that far, plus through the mountains in Pa.. I put new tires, shocks, and airbags last summer and an alignment a few months back. The one thing that concerns me is that there might be a in tank fuel pump and I have no idea if its original or not. The fuel pump on the engine block is less than five years old so I'm not concerned about that. I did replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor this year also. I want to do a radiator flush on it with in the next couple of months ,since who knows when or if it was ever done. What do you folks think about the electric fuel pump, if there is one?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Have your road assistance paid up and take off.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:27 PM   #3

I-76 (Pa Turnpike) Is a very easy drive.

I-78 No problem either.

I-80 Very easy.

Don't worry about the mountains in Pa. Just go and enjoy the trip.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 04-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #4

in tank pump

I think you can forget about an in tank pump those are on fuel injected engines and if yours has a mechanical pump on the engine my guess is you have a carb.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:23 AM   #5

Parts for 454's are common & any decent mech will be intimately familiar with them. Ours is a bit newer(built in '96) but it has been to Manitoba - 2600 mi, and we just got back from a TN to Orlando to NOLA to TN run(1300 mi). Plans for the Rockies and beyond are in the works.
The only engine issue I had was on the last trip my idle kept creep up until it was at about 1300-1400 rpm so I used the shotgun approach & changed the TBI carb base gasket, TPS & IAC....idle is now now normal.

As far as the fuel pump, I would not replace it unless it fails(if it ain't broke don't fix it). If you want to carry a spare, they are small so no issue there. Here is a thread on the location on a similar rig:
454 in-tank fuel pump, mechanical pump, and strainer sock part numbers? 89 P30

As for maintenance, if you don't know when it was done - do it. Flush the Rad, replace the in-line fuel filter(it will be a silver metal canister on the passenger frame rail about mid way) and the in carb fuel filter. Grease all the Zerks, check the brake pads/drums, hoses, belts, tranny fluid/filter, air filter/etc.

Oh, and it would be a good idea to do a complete brake fluid change. Brake fluid attracts moisture, so over the years water finds it's way in there & water tends to boil a lot sooner than brake fluid, so when you need them the most your brakes might not work very well. Besides, water in your system causes a host of other problems. I had the dealership change mine out as part of the "deal" and I watched the Mech do it and got a good look at my rigs underbelly prior to signing the papers.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
Have your road assistance paid up and take off.
whats a good place to purchase that?
Old 04-07-2016, 05:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I-76 (Pa Turnpike) Is a very easy drive.

I-78 No problem either.

I-80 Very easy.

Don't worry about the mountains in Pa. Just go and enjoy the trip.

Happy Trails!!!
we take I-80 all the way to 220 N, they live outside of Lock Haven, Pa
Old 04-07-2016, 05:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometool View Post
I think you can forget about an in tank pump those are on fuel injected engines and if yours has a mechanical pump on the engine my guess is you have a carb.
yes I have a carb but, I thought I read on here there is a in tank pump to get it to the engine? Of course the generator only has the pump on the engine
Old 04-07-2016, 06:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Parts for 454's are common & any decent mech will be intimately familiar with them. Ours is a bit newer(built in '96) but it has been to Manitoba - 2600 mi, and we just got back from a TN to Orlando to NOLA to TN run(1300 mi). Plans for the Rockies and beyond are in the works.
The only engine issue I had was on the last trip my idle kept creep up until it was at about 1300-1400 rpm so I used the shotgun approach & changed the TBI carb base gasket, TPS & IAC....idle is now now normal.

As far as the fuel pump, I would not replace it unless it fails(if it ain't broke don't fix it). If you want to carry a spare, they are small so no issue there. Here is a thread on the location on a similar rig:
454 in-tank fuel pump, mechanical pump, and strainer sock part numbers? 89 P30

As for maintenance, if you don't know when it was done - do it. Flush the Rad, replace the in-line fuel filter(it will be a silver metal canister on the passenger frame rail about mid way) and the in carb fuel filter. Grease all the Zerks, check the brake pads/drums, hoses, belts, tranny fluid/filter, air filter/etc.

Oh, and it would be a good idea to do a complete brake fluid change. Brake fluid attracts moisture, so over the years water finds it's way in there & water tends to boil a lot sooner than brake fluid, so when you need them the most your brakes might not work very well. Besides, water in your system causes a host of other problems. I had the dealership change mine out as part of the "deal" and I watched the Mech do it and got a good look at my rigs underbelly prior to signing the papers.
post doesn't give the fuel pump part number
Old 04-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #10

If you have an in tank fuel pump, and it is whining, change it (at your location, and on your schedule). Replacing an in tank fuel pump on the road can be costly to your wallet and schedule. Ask me how I know...
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
I second replacing the brake fluid. My brother had an older RV that he drove up into the Sierra Nevada’s from his SF Bay area home and ended up calling me in a panic because he was having such a problem with brake-fade because of watery brake fluid. As long as you’re going to replace it anyhow, replace it with DOT 5.1 brake fluid. It’s a high temperature extreme duty fluid with a 100 degree higher boil point then the standard DOT 3. BTW your local Illinois (flatland) auto parts won’t know what you’re talking about and will try to sell you DOT 5. DOT 5 is a silicon based brake fluid and not compatible with DOT 3 or DOT 4. However, DOT 5.1 is completely compatible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_5.1 When I purchased it at O’Reilly’s AP’s in San Marcos TX they told me they didn’t sell it, I had to show them an internet page from their own website before they’d order it for me.

Steve

PS I'm curious, does anyone else hate that recaptcha anti-robot software as much as I do!
Old 04-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #12

do you's recommend a vacuum pump method getting the fluid out?
Old 04-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
If you have an in tank fuel pump, and it is whining, change it (at your location, and on your schedule). Replacing an in tank fuel pump on the road can be costly to your wallet and schedule. Ask me how I know...
I do not hear any fuel pump motor running back there, I hear the one on my car if I listen closely. I ended up calling Advanced auto about getting a replacement pump, they said they have to do some researching and call me back, haven't heard back yet
Old 04-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
whats a good place to purchase that?
We use these guys:

Coach-Net

-cheers