Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #1639

Affectionately called the gypsy wagon. I already had it jacked up and unhooked before I thought to take a picture. That is why the front is so high.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10311359_10100891435663063_7208503783221141753_n.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	70444  

jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #1640

My 1988 Allegro Class B+

These were made from 1986-1989. They ride and sleep four with a 4.3 V6 Vortex which provides decent ( not thrilling) capabilities and great gas mileage. They are 21' and the size makes it really easy to handle through City streets and fitting in regular parking spaces.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	88 Allegro.png
Views:	108
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	71456  

Old 08-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #1641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer-1964 View Post
These were made from 1986-1989. They ride and sleep four with a 4.3 V6 Vortex which provides decent ( not thrilling) capabilities and great gas mileage. They are 21' and the size makes it really easy to handle through City streets and fitting in regular parking spaces.

Very cool. I was wondering if anyone made motorhomes on the Astrovan. Now I no longer have to wonder.

I'll bet these are hard to find.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #1642

Bill,

They are really difficult to find in good condition. I think Allegro like Beaver did not really make a name for it's self until they started building well built class A's later in the 90's. However old Beaver s ( my parents first RV a 1976 class C 23' when I was growing up ) just like these old Allegro's are really built well.

If you use a search engine like, All of Craigslist and type in Astro Allegro you can usually find a handful, again rarely in really good shape. The astro also was used for three other types of RV's that I am aware of and I have included pictures. The Tiger Provan Pop Top is rare and the hardtop version is " really" rare. I suspect because of MPG and the compactness of theses units. Last I have also included the Astro Aerolite that is rare as well.

My parents who are 75 and 79 respectively today, just got rid of their second RV a 33' Class A and purchased a 2014 Roadtrek Camper Van with all the bells and whistles, I was in sticker shock to see that the compact units command more money then a well equipped Class C today; over 100K. I can imagine this has fueled the popularity of the older units. I purchased mine for $2800.00 and invested about $ 7000.00. Bringing me to 10% of what a new rig can cost.

Enjoy the pictures, in this same category under "Allegro's Wanted", I have posted other pictures as well.

Debra
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2014, 12:50 AM   #1643
bap

some great looking rigs,,,the wife and i have just sold our 96 class a fleetwood and have gotten into the little vintage campers,,it doesnt seem like 80s an 90s are now vintage to us..lol..i guess were older than we feel..lol....we just finished refurbing a 67 shasta single axle camper, and now were ready to paint a 68 aristocate landcamadnor,then next is a go tag along single axle...not sure how old it is but it will need a complete interior make over,,but still has the turquise ice box,2 burner stove,and sink..not much info on these GTA,s so if anyone could give me a hint of year would be awsome,,also i found underneath many coats of repaints it had the turquise upper,,,from what i have read they had stopped using turquise in the late or early 60s,,,not sure at the moment its late and im barley holding the old eye lids open...lol
i know this is a pic. thread and i will post up some soom of our new to us love of thesee little old campers...we actually lovee them so much we are in search of one to full time in....anyone can tell me what brand would be a good one for wintering in as our ky winters go from cold to subzero sometimes....thanks in advance for any info,,,and i will post up a few of of our projects..as soon as i can..
thanks again and like i said....u alll have some very nice rigs..
Old 08-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #1644
bap

trying to post my first pic on here of our old shata

lets see if i can find it,,,this was our first build,,,and really miss the old girl
i thought for our first build she turned out nice

sorry thiss was before we redone the ole girl...for the life of me i cant find the after pics yet....but at least i know how to post the pix..lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SHASTA,REDDY HEATER,GENERATOR,JEEP 001.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	72285   Click image for larger version

Name:	SHASTA,REDDY HEATER,GENERATOR,JEEP 002.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	72286  

Old 08-28-2014, 10:50 PM   #1645

It Hasta be Shasta!

Love it. I wish I could find one at a reasonable price. The good ones have gone nuts.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #1646

Vintage...here's my 70 Travel Queen 16 footer...never seen another

Have had several campers over the years and yet never a MH, weird huh...well nevertheless I had my eye on this one for some time never could figure out who had it until one day the stars aligned and now she's got a home for life. currently undergoing a complete refurbish and on the road again.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:46 PM   #1647

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoon14 View Post
Have had several campers over the years and yet never a MH, weird huh...well nevertheless I had my eye on this one for some time never could figure out who had it until one day the stars aligned and now she's got a home for life. currently undergoing a complete refurbish and on the road again.
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...90801162_n.jpg
Old 08-31-2014, 02:58 PM   #1648

We saw this rig in Louisville earlier this month when we were on our way to the Forest River International Rally in Goshen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Goshen 2014- 021.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	72516  

BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:53 AM   #1649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
Did you read power that Motorhome or did it come that way. I'm curious because it's a ferd.
Any idea what the rear end gear ratio is? I repowered my Fleetwood and used @n AT 542 but want to replace it with an Allison 1000 5 speed. I re geared to 4:56 but am curious what rear end gears are behind a 6 speed.
The Vectra diesel (35RQ) came on a Spartan chassis. cummins 5.9L diesel pusher. same one used for fire trucks and military rigs.
If it had the 4 sp trans mission it has 3.73:1 gears, if it has the 6 speed, it has 4.11:1 gears. so with the 6 sp at 65 mph is about 1800 rpm.
The 6 speed also locks in every gear, so it feels like it shifts 12 times.
and it has a "mode" button. I think that holds it in gear longer b4 it shifts.
The other vectras that were gas were either ford or chevy.
not sure of their gear ratios.
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #1650

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7uxe View Post
The Vectra diesel (35RQ) came on a Spartan chassis. cummins 5.9L diesel pusher. same one used for fire trucks and military rigs.
If it had the 4 sp trans mission it has 3.73:1 gears, if it has the 6 speed, it has 4.11:1 gears. so with the 6 sp at 65 mph is about 1800 rpm.
The 6 speed also locks in every gear, so it feels like it shifts 12 times.
and it has a "mode" button. I think that holds it in gear longer b4 it shifts.
The other vectras that were gas were either ford or chevy.
not sure of their gear ratios.

Thanks for the reply!
That 3060 is a monster tranny. About 650 lbs IIRC!

I thought I had one located in Lower Washington State but the deal was apparently a scam. The guy droppped off the end of the World when I asked to see a picture of the Data Plate so I could check it against the Allison Factory Records to make sure it was what I needed. All I wanted to do was get an Independant Verification that it was indead what he said it was. Apparently he doesn't own one, and was trying to get his hand in my pocket.

Good thing I was cautious. I was going to trade him a Rebuilt Overdrive underdrive Spicer for his MDT.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #1651

barely vintage 1993 George boy swinger... pics to follow once I figure out how to post
Old 09-04-2014, 01:09 AM   #1652

1984 Shasta Class C, I think it was made by coachman. The person in the pictures is not me, Its my buddy who is always willing to help.