Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #225

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcanopies View Post
Here is the old Avco I owned. Donated it to a No Kill Animal shelter. Was going to put a 6bt diesel cummins in it, but bought a new one instead.

I've talked to one of the original guys that came up with the concept of an all fiberglass shell. It was cool, but not big enough for us.

A pair of slides to cure the space problem, remodel interior.
A set of Alcoa's, move the spare to rear, polish or chrome the grill and bumper, clean and buff the gel-coat, new mirrors, big chrome air horns and BAM! I like that, was it a Dodge or Ford?
J

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
A pair of slides to cure the space problem, remodel interior.
A set of Alcoa's, move the spare to rear, polish or chrome the grill and bumper, clean and buff the gel-coat, new mirrors, big chrome air horns and BAM! I like that, was it a Dodge or Ford?
J
Yea, would have probably been cheaper than the route I went

I was just thinking some ears and call it good! Like the "Dumb and Dumber" movie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dogears.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	7039  

nwcanopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #227

This is our 11th (and last) RV, it is a 1990 Fleetwood Limited 37J that we bought brand new from Beaudry RV in Tucson, Arizona in 1990. To date it only has 44,000 miles on it as we don't have the opportunity to travel as much as we used to. It is a very, very nice rig with most of the comforts that we want in an RV. What it didn't come with, I added on myself, including my own self-aligning satellite system.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BG.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	7063  
Old 12-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #228

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dan View Post
This is our 11th (and last) RV, it is a 1990 Fleetwood Limited 37J that we bought brand new from Beaudry RV in Tucson, Arizona in 1990. To date it only has 44,000 miles on it as we don't have the opportunity to travel as much as we used to. It is a very, very nice rig with most of the comforts that we want in an RV. What it didn't come with, I added on myself, including my own self-aligning satellite system.
Those have always been one of my favorites.
J
Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #229
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'd love to see photos of the interior of that Limited.
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #230

Quote:
We have that exact RV! Same color and everything.
I swapped out the EFI 460 for a Hot Rodded 5.9 L Cummins backed up with an Allison transmission. Haven't used it much lately, will get going again once the wife retires. We wore it out when we first got it. We've driven it across the US 5 times and taken a lot of extended trips before the wife got sick on me. But, she's better now. Kinda. She's still working and has 2 more years to retirement. I retired a year and a half ago. Looking forward to wearing out the Cummins.

The old Ford motor overheated climbing out of Denver towing my rock climbimg rig a few years back and never had any power after that. It had over 75 K on it when it got hot. So I improved it with the Tim Allen mentality.

Love the Old Girl. It will be my last. I would love to add a slide out, but it's just somethig else to go wrong and we don't really need it.
I have an old manual sattelite dish, so I'm interested in the particulars of your automatic one. If you don't mind.

Those were the best Campers on the road in their day.
PM me if you want to share stories and ideas about our RV's.

Curtis in Texas.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #231

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
We have that exact RV! Same color and everything.
I swapped out the EFI 460 for a Hot Rodded 5.9 L Cummins backed up with an Allison transmission. Haven't used it much lately, will get going again once the wife retires. We wore it out when we first got it. We've driven it across the US 5 times and taken a lot of extended trips before the wife got sick on me. But, she's better now. Kinda. She's still working and has 2 more years to retirement. I retired a year and a half ago. Looking forward to wearing out the Cummins.

The old Ford motor overheated climbing out of Denver towing my rock climbimg rig a few years back and never had any power after that. It had over 75 K on it when it got hot. So I improved it with the Tim Allen mentality.

Love the Old Girl. It will be my last. I would love to add a slide out, but it's just somethig else to go wrong and we don't really need it.
I have an old manual sattelite dish, so I'm interested in the particulars of your automatic one. If you don't mind.

Those were the best Campers on the road in their day.
PM me if you want to share stories and ideas about our RV's.

Curtis in Texas.
Did you document the swap? I would like to see the details.
J
Old 12-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #232

Thumbs up

Quote:
Tell us about your other additions. You are a seasoned R'ver and we could use the information. Some pics if you can share.

Thanks very kindly, Big Dan.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
Did you document the swap? I would like to see the details.
J
Yes I did but it was over 7 years ago and I'm not sure I can dig it out of the Web Forum I posted it in. But I'll try.
The engine swap was like building a full size ship in a coke bottle.
A LOT of work. Especially considering I did it 100% by myself.
Here's a link to the Photobucket Pictures if you'd like to browse through them!
Motorhome Rebuild pictures by Curtis-J - Photobucket

I don't want to hijack this thread!

And yes I agree with thomask! Let's see your improvements to you rig too.

Curtis
Old 12-09-2010, 08:25 AM   #234

I will take some pics of the oak woodwork that I changed when adding the larger TV up front and the towel racks, TP holder, stove cover/cutting board, sound system, sattelite system, etc. I installed the Banks Power Pack which consisted of the complete header system with larger exhaust pipe and muffler, a U.S. Gear overdrive, replaced the stock in-tank 155 lph fuel pump with a 255 lph pump (which made a noticeable difference), a couple of pusher fans in front of the radiator for use when needed and controlled by a switch on the dash, and air shocks on the tag axle system that is mentioned elsewhere on this site. I should have those in the next week or so, at the moment I am busy hauling firewood to my young 'uns in preparation for the winter months.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #235

Oh yeah, I almost forgot some of the stuff! I upgraded the service from 35 amp to 50 amp with a rewire and added a 2500 watt Trace inverter with 2 ea. Caterpillar 6D deep cycle maintenance free batteries in the battery bay. I also made a rock guard that hangs behind the tag axle that has "LIMITED" in yellow lighting on it. I normally tow a Mercury Mystique toad on a tow dolly most everywhere we go, which includes the Grand Tetons every 3rd year and Quartzsite every January.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #236

Quote:
I will take some pics of the oak woodwork that I changed when adding the larger TV up front and the towel racks, TP holder, stove cover/cutting board, sound system, sattelite system, etc. I installed the Banks Power Pack which consisted of the complete header system with larger exhaust pipe and muffler, a U.S. Gear overdrive, replaced the stock in-tank 155 lph fuel pump with a 255 lph pump (which made a noticeable difference), a couple of pusher fans in front of the radiator for use when needed and controlled by a switch on the dash, and air shocks on the tag axle system that is mentioned elsewhere on this site. I should have those in the next week or so, at the moment I am busy hauling firewood to my young 'uns in preparation for the winter months.
I've been thinking of changing out the front TV to a larger drop down HD unit this winter. Would love to see your improvements.
My Stove Cover started to rust on me. Go figure, I thought it was stainless!!! So I removed it.
We are also planning on tieing in the sound system into the TV and I want to rebuild the battery tray to hold 4 dry cell batteries for use with my solar panels I picked up for it and the wind generator I'll be adding later.

Also I'm going to add aother pair of reciever tubes to the back frame and see if I can put a motorcycle tray on the back for a scooter. (It will be an electfic lift mechanism that I'll build in my new machine shop.

I've owned the Old Girl more than 16 years and have yet to make any upgrades to the interior other than the gun rack in the back closet for my deer rifles. We were too busy driving it, I guess.
So please do show your improvements. I'm in the mood to do some on mine.
I'm a mechanic and can barely drive a nail straight. But, give me a welder and I'm good to go.

HEY!
Maybe we should start a start a Fleetwood J Mod Thread where all the Fleetwood J Motorcoach Guys can show off their Mods!

What do ya'll think. (Yea, I'm from Texas)

Curtis J
Old 12-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #237

I think that is a great idea!! I don't know a single solitary sole anywhere near me that has a 37J but I see one occasionally when we are in a large RV park. Where in Texas are you? I worked in Amarillo off and on for about 30 years. I will get my rig out when the rain lets up out here and get some inside pics and post them. Happy Holidays to all.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #238

Big Dan Pics

Here are a few pics of the interior of Big Dan and the rock guard (missing a couple of lights, I see!). Notice the large casters that I mounted to keep from dragging the hitch when exiting gas stations, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	big-dan-1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	7134   Click image for larger version

Name:	big-dan-2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	7135  

Name:	big-dan-3.jpg