Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:28 AM   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
1986 winnebago 27 footer
deja vu This is our Ella

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #296

That's real nice Winnie there ftv37.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #297
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ella looks to be well loved.

Ken
Old 03-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #298

Our '83 HR Ambassador 33

Here is our old war horse. I am working on a design for the spare cover that says "Rolling Thunder". Since it has a new balanced 454, RV cam, Edelbrock intake and long tube headers, it is a bit loud, but I sneak it into parks with just a slight rumble at idle. I will make it quieter after I get some enjoyment from the 6 weeks of work replacing all brakes, all U-joints, front air bags, re-cored radiator (major job itself), exhaust system, both fuel pumps, water pump, hoses, belts, M/Cylinder, P/S gearbox, bell cranks and arms, tie rods, and soon ball joints. It came with a Gear Vendors overdrive, and manual anti-lock brakes and a million gadgets that orig owner put on it, including 4 air horns....took me several days to strip all the gadgets off it that had failed since being added. Our maiden voyage included throwing a front tire off the rim at 65 (changed pants) and ripped off fender skirt,power wires to hydraulic jacks and ended in a culvert, but no injuries and didn't roll it, so we were lucky. Second voyage was a short one, but no calamities...Won't be doing 65 again...gas was $2.00 then.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #299

Awesome old Winnie!

Plus Stangdoc what a superb looking Moho! Is that a monaco? Love the shape of those ones, really cool.Sounds a really wild ride with that new balanced 454 & extra goodies!
Can imagine what she sounds like with a tickle of the loud pedal !

Also a rather scary blow out & where you ended up, good job on staying right side up.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #300

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That's a Holiday Rambler.
J
Old 03-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #301

It looks just like mine! I love my old HR but I can't seem to get a vibration out of it at 65mph. I haven't decided if it is an out of balance tire, center drive bearing, u-joints or something in the suspension. Below 65 it runs nice but I would like to tighten up the steering somewhat. It does seem to wander. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #302

Ah thanks for the clarification :smile: Lovely example .

QuietWater, can you tell where the vibration is coming from at all?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #303

To me it seems to be coming from the right front tire. The tires were new two years ago and were balanced with lead weights on the rims. The tires were put on before I ever drove it so I don't know if the vibration was there before. I've looked at the carrier bearing on the drive shaft and it doesn't seem to be bad. I was told that was a common source of vibration. Although it is a 1984, it only has 26,000 miles on it.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #304

Vintage RV Owners Club
First trip

Our first trip with the new (old) Foretravel ftxred dragging the old benz behind (how to make slow even slower) We survived!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110317_154234.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	9027  
Old 03-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #305

QuietWater,
Here is a plethora of suggestions, that I'm sure others will add to. I would do the cheapest things first, then if not fixed, move to the more complex/expensive. First, park on level ground and measure distance from ground to body in front and in back, if front is higher, reduce air bag pressure till close to level. I have read people running between 40-70 lbs in front air bags. Mine seems to drive better with less air bag pressure than more...but mine has a four leaf Hellwig transverse leaf spring (overload or helper) spring in front which affects front end geometry/load. Since our rigs have 8' of overhang past the rear tag axle that has a 60-70 gal. gas tank (weighing up to 500 lbs full) and a 39 gal fresh water tank (312 lbs full) plus chassis weight, ours are a bit rear heavy causing a lighter front end. I ran 40 lbs last trip, and will try it with 25-30 lbs next time. Found out mine is an Imperial, not an Ambassador, so it has the huge 65 gal dual fuel optional propane tank that also affects weight balance. Get the front tire/tires re-balanced next, drive it if not better, have it aligned (for the wandering). I have replaced almost all the steering and front suspension parts on mine and IT STILL WANDERS!. Yours is just like mine down to the awning, except mine has 105,000 miles. I replaced the carrier bearing and all u-joints though they seemed ok. The rubber that surrounds the carrier bearing itself was cracked, and not knowing much about carriers, I replaced it because dropping the front of the rear drive shaft at any speed could rip the rear end out be very dangerous. I learned the hard way what 16,500 lbs of rig is like at speed when things go wrong....pretty scary. Due to age of both of our rigs, I replaced many safety related parts just because of age. Didn't get receipts for everything that MIGHT have been replaced, but I try to eliminate what I can. Just replaced the PS pump, and found after I spent MANY hours of painful laying on top of the motor reaching down to get to it, that the new one acted just like the old one, it just had chunks of rubber in the reservoir from the 28 yr old PS hoses deteriorating from the inside. Before replacing the PS pump or PS gearbox, replace all the PS hoses....20+ years of hot PS fluid breaks down the rubber. Yours has so little mileage, I doubt that any of the front end parts or PS pump or PS gearbox is bad, but rubber hoses age badly regardless of mileage. Some post here has alignment specs for P30's that allege to reduce the wandering. Most factory alignment specs are for unloaded 1 ton GM trucks, that don't allow for all the weight that a 33' MH is carrying, so they are almost neutral caster/toe settings like .5 deg pos or negative. Knowledgeable RV alignment shops I think use settings that splay out the bottom of the tire and have more toe out than toe in for better stability. I would sacrifice faster tire wear if I could get less wander. In central TX we have regular winds of 50-60 mph and the wandering REALLY becomes an issue with those winds! If you want to compare notes since we have virtually identical rigs, I will leave my number in a message to you.. Kevin
Old 03-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #306

Cool rig Ken...did you add the gold sections or is that original?
Old 03-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #307

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
1974 Shasta XL 2200

We Just upgraded from our 1976 Stuery Pop up to this fine previously enjoyed Travel Trailer.. so far this is the only Pic I have of it Im still waiting for the previous owner to finish cleaning his belongings out so I can go pick it up.. More Pictures to come. !
Old 03-29-2011, 01:24 AM   #308

1979 Winnebago Chieftain

Hey everyone, thought I'd share a pic of my vintage rig. I've started a chronicle of my restoration adventure too - check it out...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0036 - Copy.JPG
Views:	511
Size:	655.5 KB
ID:	9077