Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #323

Vintage RV Owners Club
1986 Champion

This is our 1986 Champion Class B Motorhome we bought last year about this time. It was all fiberglass with a Chevy 350 engine. Interior was rough, exterior just need some new striping tires and a good waxing.
We named her Landshark after Jimmy Buffett..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86rvDSC02273.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	9476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iphone 015.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	9480  

Name:	Silver Lake Sand Dunes 001.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	9481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iphone 079.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	9482  

Name:	Iphone 008.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	9483  
Attached Images

desikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #324

Vintage RV Owners Club
The New Landshark II

In Nov of last year, I ran across a 1992 (only 19 years old) Airstream Legacy 31. Wow what a difference in Motorhomes.. This one is real nice. These are the before & after pics.. Meet my new lady... Landshark II. I think I will keep this one awhile...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3293_3.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	9485   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3291_3.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	9486  

Name:	LS4.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	9487   Click image for larger version

Name:	LS3.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	9488  

Name:	LS2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	9489   Click image for larger version

Name:	LS5.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	9490  

Name:	LS6.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	9491   Click image for larger version

Name:	LS7.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	9492  

Name:	LS8.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	9493   Click image for larger version

Name:	LS 1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	9494  

Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #325

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by desikk View Post
In Nov of last year, I ran across a 1992 (only 19 years old) Airstream Legacy 31. Wow what a difference in Motorhomes.. This one is real nice. These are the before & after pics.. Meet my new lady... Landshark II. I think I will keep this one awhile...
So did you sell the 'B'? The interior shots of the 'B' looked beautiful! I am assuming, since you said the interior was rough, you did the work?

Love both rigs. I hope that I have as good of luck as you did!! Thank you for posting these shots!

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #326

Vintage RV Owners Club
Landshark I & Landshark II

Yes I did sell the B. Loved the coach other than it was somewhat small. When we camped, I slept in the back bed (3/4) and my wife used the dinette. Real small bath. The B was a 23' model, and the A is a 31' with a large bath and walk around queen. We did all the work ourselves. It was fun and interesting. As I said in the last post, we have a graphics design business ( we print & cut vinyl graphics for RV's -Cars Trucks etc. ) and I am a retired furniture maker.. And we have a large shop to work in in the winter...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10-en-5f831b5dc4561403405f20dd8c1b9fa1.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	9497  
Old 04-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #327

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by desikk View Post
Yes I did sell the B. Loved the coach other than it was somewhat small. When we camped, I slept in the back bed (3/4) and my wife used the dinette. Real small bath. The B was a 23' model, and the A is a 31' with a large bath and walk around queen. We did all the work ourselves. It was fun and interesting. As I said in the last post, we have a graphics design business ( we print & cut vinyl graphics for RV's -Cars Trucks etc. ) and I am a retired furniture maker.. And we have a large shop to work in in the winter...
Wow! Too bad that I live no where near you, I could learn a lot from you and your wife. Beautiful work!!!! Better than a lot of new coaches that I have seen!

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #328

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangdoc View Post
Here is our old war horse. I am working on a design for the spare cover that says "Rolling Thunder". Since it has a new balanced 454, RV cam, Edelbrock intake and long tube headers, it is a bit loud, but I sneak it into parks with just a slight rumble at idle. I will make it quieter after I get some enjoyment from the 6 weeks of work replacing all brakes, all U-joints, front air bags, re-cored radiator (major job itself), exhaust system, both fuel pumps, water pump, hoses, belts, M/Cylinder, P/S gearbox, bell cranks and arms, tie rods, and soon ball joints. It came with a Gear Vendors overdrive, and manual anti-lock brakes and a million gadgets that orig owner put on it, including 4 air horns....took me several days to strip all the gadgets off it that had failed since being added. Our maiden voyage included throwing a front tire off the rim at 65 (changed pants) and ripped off fender skirt,power wires to hydraulic jacks and ended in a culvert, but no injuries and didn't roll it, so we were lucky. Second voyage was a short one, but no calamities...Won't be doing 65 again...gas was $2.00 then.

I know it's not polite to laugh at someone elses misfortune but your description of throwing a tire at 65mph had me laughing out loud. By all means I'm glad everyone was safe. It just provided a mental picture for me that I could relate to. By the way, it is funny how so many people 'improve' their cars, RVs, etc by adding things only for them to become ornaments in the future. I know, I've worked on enough Jeeps in my life removing those 'improvements' by the previous owners!
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #329

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlapml View Post
I know it's not polite to laugh at someone elses misfortune but your description of throwing a tire at 65mph had me laughing out loud. By all means I'm glad everyone was safe. It just provided a mental picture for me that I could relate to. By the way, it is funny how so many people 'improve' their cars, RVs, etc by adding things only for them to become ornaments in the future. I know, I've worked on enough Jeeps in my life removing those 'improvements' by the previous owners!
Hey dunlapml, See you are a JEEP guy too. Been restoring a 85 CJ7 as a toad. Can you give me any tips on towing etc?

Wondering too if any others have "classic toads" to show pics of here?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:46 PM   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomask View Post
Hey dunlapml, See you are a JEEP guy too. Been restoring a 85 CJ7 as a toad. Can you give me any tips on towing etc?

Wondering too if any others have "classic toads" to show pics of here?
Yep, Jeep guy all my life. Of course, there area Jeeps and then there are Jeeps. Fact is I drive a Liberty now but I don't really count it as a Jeep. But I've had my share of 'rag tops'. Including a 78, 84, 85, & 97. The last tow I had was the 97 Wrangler TJ. Loved towing it! Then I went through the 'we need to down size' stage and I sold it to my son. He's loving it and I'm missing it. But we DID have too many vehicles around. So now it's a Ford Sportrac (Explorer truck). The one thing I already miss about my Jeep was the simplicity of towing it. I've got to work on the Sportrac to be able to place the transfer case in neutral. Can you believe they built it w/o a neutral position? But I've got a solution for that...thanks to some forums and the internet.

To answer your questions about towing the Jeep. I'll assume you have a straight shift. To keep it simple: Place the transfer case in neutral, leave the transmission in 4th or 5th gear, put the ignition in a position that the steering wheel ISN'T locked but the acc is off. That's pretty much it. The one thing to remember is to keep the transmission in a gear. I had a 5 speed and I found that 4th worked well. Hope that helps. Always glad to take Jeep.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:21 AM   #331

Vintage RV Owners Club
The Landshark II 's Toad

This is our toad for the Landshark II. We redid this 2 years ago, has 140K on her. Have had this 1995 Wrangler for almost 7 years. The new stripes on the Landshark II match the color of the Wrangler.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy (2) of Doug & Marcia.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	9548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy (2) of Doug & Marcia 2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	9549  

Name:	Copy (2) of Doug & Marcia 3.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	9550  
Old 04-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #332

I don't have any photos of my old tow on this PC but mine was very similar to yours. Red, TJ, winch, same flares as yours, lifted about 4", rock gaurds under doors. You know, the typical fun stuff to do. I had just replaced the top on mine when I sold it to my son. I'm still scratching my head on that one. But he's loving it. I'll see if I can post some photos if I can get my hands on them.

Hope you're having a blast with the refurb on the RV.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #333

To Desikk:
We just purchased an '86 champion and are completely redoing the interior. Did you redo the carpeting in the front and if so, how difficult was it and any tips or hints ie what grade of carpet etc. Thanks, Lana
LanaGhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #334

I love these picks! New to the forum...thanks all for sharing

rv-girl-100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #335

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlapml View Post
Yep, Jeep guy all my life. Of course, there area Jeeps and then there are Jeeps.

To answer your questions about towing the Jeep. I'll assume you have a straight shift. To keep it simple: Place the transfer case in neutral, leave the transmission in 4th or 5th gear, put the ignition in a position that the steering wheel ISN'T locked but the acc is off. That's pretty much it. The one thing to remember is to keep the transmission in a gear. I had a 5 speed and I found that 4th worked well. Hope that helps. Always glad to take Jeep.
Thanks dunlapml, My toad is a 85 cj7 4 speed and with the diesel pusher mh you better remember she is back there LOL.

Do you need to stop every hundred miles or so and crank her up and shift through gears?

Let's see a pic of your sons Jeep, I know you miss her.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Labor Day 2010 175.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	9608  
Old 04-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomask View Post
Thanks dunlapml, My toad is a 85 cj7 4 speed and with the diesel pusher mh you better remember she is back there LOL.

Do you need to stop every hundred miles or so and crank her up and shift through gears?

Let's see a pic of your sons Jeep, I know you miss her.
On our trips we never had to stop to crank it up to change gears. It seemed to work fine if I simply left her in 4th (5-speed). At least I can say I never had any damage caused by towing. I'll have to get my hands on some of the Jeep photos off the home computer.