Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #379

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks, the things that have "crapped" out were items neglected by the prior owner. The unit was in storage for about ten years which didn't help. Since then it has gotten a new crate 454, new transmission, and tires. The engine and transmission both have gauge sets monitoring them and they perform perfectly. We made eight race weekends last year and logged over 7000 miles. It is the various support systems like the ignition, fuel pumps and tanks that have failed. Never has the unit seemed to strain or labor. I doubt if my trailer and racing car tops 3500 lbs. Lots of motor homes similar to mine are towing much more to the races and are doing fine.
Cheers,
Folis
Folis Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #380

Tiffin Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My 1989 Allegro. It's a front engine diesel. Unusual for that year I'm told. We call it Andante as we rarely pass anybody! But it'll go anywhere anytime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	campin' rig 2.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	11182  
chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #381

What a great looking Allegro! Love the shape & color of those motor homes.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauland Ro View Post
AGREED! That has to have had been stored indoors most of it's life.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #383

this is our "new" project. 1972 Skylark purchased for $400.

after some elbow grease by hubby:

had already taken curtains down. I'll be sewing new ones and new cushion covers too in a retro pattern. we aren't going to change much at all and prefer to keep it as original as possible.
I really don't find a lot of info on this model or company. It's not a Jayco Skylark, I've talked with a rep. from Jayco. It's a defunct co. now called Skylark from what I can tell. It will be painted orange and white to match my 72 Monte Carlo when we get to that point. It's a 16ft. and sleeps 6. has a potty closet (not an orig. potty- that is newer I guess).
72Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:17 AM   #384

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauland Ro View Post
Ditto! What a rare find!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:30 AM   #385

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Waltzin' MaTrillda-
For her tendency to sway just a bit to let me know I'm driving over her comfort zone speeds of 55-65 mph...

Francesca
When we used to tour a lot on motorcycles, and towed a camper, there was a trip where I'd changed the way I packed. Up about 60 mph, the trailer started swaying severely--turned out my plan to put the soft cooler inside, over the axle and use the tongue cooler for dry storage was a big mistake! Emptied the dry stuff, filled cooler with the heavier groceries and ice and took off again. Problem cured. Single axle trailers are finicky--no matter what size they are!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:47 AM   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipg View Post
My 1989 Allegro. It's a front engine diesel. Unusual for that year I'm told. We call it Andante as we rarely pass anybody! But it'll go anywhere anytime.
Interesting. What engine and transmission is in your Coach if you don't mind my asking?
I converted my FERD Fleetwood to diesel and am curious what the manufacturers used.

CD
Old 06-14-2011, 07:02 AM   #387

Tiffin Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
It's a Cummings 5.9 turbo diesel with an Allison tranny. I'm not sure which model it is. I can say that it really needs one more gear to get the most out of the engine. However, the combo has been dead reliable. We take across the country without worry. We just take it slow with a max speed of about 65.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #388

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
It's a Cummings 5.9 turbo diesel with an Allison tranny. I'm not sure which model it is. I can say that it really needs one more gear to get the most out of the engine. However, the combo has been dead reliable. We take across the country without worry. We just take it slow with a max speed of about 65.
Is that a Chevy Tahoe as toad or the smaller blazer?
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #389

Tiffin Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
It's a Tahoe. It's a heavy, but nice when we get there. I have two teenage boys. They don't fit well in the small toads.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #390

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Skylark View Post
this is our "new" project. 1972 Skylark purchased for $400.

after some elbow grease by hubby:

had already taken curtains down. I'll be sewing new ones and new cushion covers too in a retro pattern. we aren't going to change much at all and prefer to keep it as original as possible.
I really don't find a lot of info on this model or company. It's not a Jayco Skylark, I've talked with a rep. from Jayco. It's a defunct co. now called Skylark from what I can tell. It will be painted orange and white to match my 72 Monte Carlo when we get to that point. It's a 16ft. and sleeps 6. has a potty closet (not an orig. potty- that is newer I guess).
Nice find! Looking forward to some future pics!
Johnnyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:14 AM   #391

Quote:
If you think it's needs one more gear then that tranny is probably an AT542. And that's the same 4 speed transmission I have behind the Cummins 5.9 that I put in my Fleetwood. It does not have a lock up torque converter or overdirve. It is a robust transmission that doesn't have any electronics to mess with or go bad. Easier for swapping and a lot cheaper than the Allison 1000 Series. But the 1000's have 5 and 6 gears with a lock up TQ. And all that electronic computers to mess with.

They are the same transmission used in school buses and delivery trucks.

I like to row my own, so I'm thinking of putting in a 6 speed manual because we tow a rock climbing rig and lots of toys when we hit the road.

I wished my Fleetwood had the Cummins to begin with, sure would have saved me some serious money but I've got one in it now. And I've bumped mine up so it goes like a house on fire now. The Allison AT 542 I put in there was a real dissappointment, but I was in a hurry to get it back on the road and found a good deal on it. I even regeared my rearend to try and get that one extra gear for a better top end. Still without the lockup it's just not where I want it.

Thanks for the info. I've always wondered just what engine the Diesel FERDS had in them from the factory.

CD
Old 06-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #392

Here's my birthday present

So finally got around to taking some pictures. Here is the 1985 Georgie boy my wife brought home for my Birthday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00908.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	11640  
jimzz2001 is offline   Reply With Quote