Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #631
Junior Member
 
montecoolkid's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: middleboro
Posts: 25
oh, and i got it for $200..... i talked him down a hundred since i was gunna need to get it towed.... then after a few days of working on it after work i drove it home, kinda scary with almost no brakes haha.
__________________

__________________
montecoolkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #632
Junior Member
 
montecoolkid's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: middleboro
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyd111 View Post
Hey I know this camper personally!! Your a sandy necker. Is that 4wd
my rv was a sandy necker for years before i had it! cant wait to have it out there next summer!
__________________

__________________
montecoolkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #633
Senior Member
 
TitanicPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecoolkid View Post
oh, and i got it for $200..... i talked him down a hundred since i was gunna need to get it towed.... then after a few days of working on it after work i drove it home, kinda scary with almost no brakes haha.
Please tell us the part of your story about the end loader....
__________________
Dave & Marilyn - Southern Wisconsin
1985 33' Pace Arrow "Titanic", 454+.040", Thorley Tri-Y
Quadrajet, Torque Cam, TH475 w/Cooler, No Dash A/C
TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #634
Junior Member
 
montecoolkid's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: middleboro
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicPilot View Post
Please tell us the part of your story about the end loader....
haha, i used the front end loader to lift up the back end to do the brakes yesterday. the superior is pretty heavy and was very awkward when i tried to jack it up, even with my 3 1/2 ton cornwell jack. it actually has all metal framing and galvanized steel skins. so i just put one fork on the trailer hitch (with both front wheels chocked front and back) and very carefully lifted it untill i could fit jack stands under the rear end. Its still apart right now, im gunna have to wait till monday to get the wheel seals and cylinders.
__________________
montecoolkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #635
Junior Member
 
montecoolkid's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: middleboro
Posts: 25
the hitch distributes the wight nicely, i went really easy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	414276_10151131749990514_621850513_22655138_1525353601_o.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	16941  
__________________
montecoolkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #636
Senior Member
 
Wanderman's Avatar
 
Nor'easters Club
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 127
1991 Aero Cruiser 23RBa

Here's my RV.

It's a 1991 Aero Cruiser 23' 8" Low Profile (99" at roof A/C) motorhome. Built from 1988 through 1992. Although the 1988-Early 1990 are wood framed and the 1991-1992 are metal framed. (the 1992s all 12 or so of them are on a longer wheelbase) The aearly ones had a Vironex custom chassis, later models have an LGS modified chassis that fixed quite a few handling issues.

I looked a long time for the right year/floorplan. Since they only made 350 or so total, it was pretty hard. I chose it after researching countless models, since I HAD to have a separate shower/toilet and a full galley. I wanted a large corner bed and a large generator. I looked at the GMCs, the Vixen, the Chieftains (22ft/23ft), and MANY others.

Aero Cruisers all had the Chrysler Industrial 5.9L (360ci) V8 late 1990-1992 had TBI (Throttle Body Fuel Injection) I get between 12-14mpg on the highway and 10-11mpg on hills and back roads

For me, this is the perfect getaway vacation RV. I've put a lot of work/mods into it.

The weblog in my sig has a few of my mods written up, including my Solar charging setup. Since my roof space was tiny this wasn't so easy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC_rightside.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	16942   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA1462.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	426.0 KB
ID:	16943  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aero_Roof1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	16944   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01886.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	16945  

__________________
1991 Aero Cruiser 23RBa Class A
Almost 100% Self Sufficient!
http://www.thewanderman.com
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #637
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecoolkid View Post
hey guys, ive put up a few posts, but ill put up some pics of my 1975 doge superior 2800, dodge 440 engine. I'm in the early stages of a restomod. right now im just trying to get it mechanically sound, brakes are almost non existent which i was working on today, no rear lights. should be great when its done these superiors were built really well and its in pretty good shape!
Love the Left Hand gear select!
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #638
Junior Member
 
montecoolkid's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: middleboro
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Love the Left Hand gear select!
that's one of my favorite parts, reminds me a of a boat!
__________________
montecoolkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #639
Junior Member
 
illinitackle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 17
1978 georgie boy gruise air

Hello= My story is a lot like many here-I found this RV in a field next to a garage-been sitting for a few years- made a real good deal-it would not turn over-starter was bad-Mans wife just wanted it gone. We literally jacked it up as well as possible dug a little trench to get into where we could change the starter-Dodge 440 cu in. Took 2 of us-on from above one below. surprisingly, it was in pretty good mechanical condition-new brakes & exhaust-rebuilt radiator, etc. It had some water damage, but nothing that couldn't be repaired. We got it going and drove it 60 miles home with no incidents. Some of these pics are before-then after-here goes-











Thanks for looking-Al
__________________
illinitackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #640
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9
Here is a pic of the old Streamline last week in South Florida.
__________________
dmcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #641
Senior Member
 
thomask's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 100
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinileftta View Post
Hello= My story is a lot like many here-I found this RV in a field next to a garage-been sitting for a few years- made a real good deal-it would not turn over-starter was bad-Mans wife just wanted it gone. Some of these pics are before-then after-here goes-

Hey Al, Please show us what you are doing on your new RV. Looks like a good wash and general clean up will do a lot to bring her back in shape. Tell us what is planned.


Good Find.









Thanks for looking-Al
Great RV and can't wait to see your restore....POST SOME PICS pls.
__________________
Remember, it's not always the destination,
it's the journey. So let's go...
thomask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #642
Junior Member
 
illinitackle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 17
After going thru this thing thoughly-we did pretty well indeed. All appliances work well-had to refinish the rusty stove top. Furnace works-roof air works (may 1need roof gasket tightened or replaced) PO just had a new water pump put in. There was alot of water damage to the roof over the driver compartment-fold up bunk saved the things under it from too much damage-we ripped out the celing panels and replaced two rafters too.



I have a lot of roof work to do-and side panels too-here are some more interior pics-






I do have a question for those Gearheads out there-It's a Dodge 440 engine-it shows 89,00 miles on it-it runs really well, I think it will need a fuel pump though-BUT-my question is: should I worry about the timing chain yet in this industrial version of the 440? -Thanks-Al
__________________
illinitackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #643
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Olivehurst, CA
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinileftta View Post
After going thru this thing thoughly-we did pretty well indeed. All appliances work well-had to refinish the rusty stove top. Furnace works-roof air works (may 1need roof gasket tightened or replaced) PO just had a new water pump put in. There was alot of water damage to the roof over the driver compartment-fold up bunk saved the things under it from too much damage-we ripped out the celing panels and replaced two rafters too.



I have a lot of roof work to do-and side panels too-here are some more interior pics-






I do have a question for those Gearheads out there-It's a Dodge 440 engine-it shows 89,00 miles on it-it runs really well, I think it will need a fuel pump though-BUT-my question is: should I worry about the timing chain yet in this industrial version of the 440? -Thanks-Al
Easiest way to check if the timing chain is excessively worn is to point a timing light at the timing mark on the harmonic balancer while the engine is running. Make sure the vacuum advance line is disconnected and plugged. If the timing mark appears to jump around dramatically then there is a good chance that the timing chain has excessive slack in it. When the chain has excessive slack the camshaft will speed up and slow down rapidly effectively pulling tight against one side of the chain then bouncing back the other way and pulling tight on the other side of the chain. Since the distributor is mechanically connected to the camshaft, the point at which the spark plug is ignited will change in relation to the position to the crankshaft. A wore distributor can cause a similar effect, but generally will be less dramatic and less likely especially if the vacuum advance is disconnected. The mechanical advance in the distributor should not have any effect on the test since the engine will be at idle speed only. I hope this information is helpful to you, have fun.
__________________
Winnebeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #644
Junior Member
 
montecoolkid's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: middleboro
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
Easiest way to check if the timing chain is excessively worn is to point a timing light at the timing mark on the harmonic balancer while the engine is running. Make sure the vacuum advance line is disconnected and plugged. If the timing mark appears to jump around dramatically then there is a good chance that the timing chain has excessive slack in it. When the chain has excessive slack the camshaft will speed up and slow down rapidly effectively pulling tight against one side of the chain then bouncing back the other way and pulling tight on the other side of the chain. Since the distributor is mechanically connected to the camshaft, the point at which the spark plug is ignited will change in relation to the position to the crankshaft. A wore distributor can cause a similar effect, but generally will be less dramatic and less likely especially if the vacuum advance is disconnected. The mechanical advance in the distributor should not have any effect on the test since the engine will be at idle speed only. I hope this information is helpful to you, have fun.


If you dont have access to a timing light, take the distributor cap off. turn the crankshaft back untill the distributor rotor moves, then turn it forward untill it moves again. much more than an 1/8th turn or so is kinda sloppy.

as for the fuel pump, keep in mind that the tank is a looong way from the pump, and a mechanical pump wont pump very well with out being primed, my rv has a electric lift pump that is used just to pump the fuel up to the pump on the motor. I only turn on the electric pump if its been sitting for a little while and the fuel drains back a bit. so make sure you dont have a piggy back pump and if you don't it might be a good idea. when i first bought my rv i thought i had a issue and ran a electric pump right to a small 15 gallon tank just to get it home. when i got it to run, it was running for about 5 minutes and then it started spraying fuel every where. That was before i found the lift pump, so that shows how long it takes for a mechanical pump to get the fuel all the way from the tank to the motor....... or you could just have a bad pump haha, pull it off and but you thumb on the intake side and push the lever, it should suck your thumb to it and hold it for a bit. if it loses suction right away you could have a pin hole of small tear in the internal diaphragm.


Hope this helps! - Dan
__________________

__________________
montecoolkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Restored 1948 Spartan Spartanette Bob&Pat Vintage RV's 29 09-10-2010 07:56 PM
adding photos to post moisheh Monaco Owner's Forum 13 06-14-2008 04:10 AM
Value on vintage MH grumman72 Vintage RV's 3 04-12-2006 06:54 AM
post photos sal avitabile Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns 3 02-03-2006 10:21 AM
adding photos to post Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns 13 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.