Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #701

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
My cat Porcha loves to travel. Here she is in her Carrier watching a Milk Tanker Truck go by. The red harness is for walking her around at the rest stop. In case something like a loud truck startles her and she tries to climb the nearest tree. These pictures were taken in the Wifes car going cross country, but she is like this in the MH too!

I got her trained to stay inside the MH when I tell her to "Stay Inside"
We found her as a little bitty kitten on the back porch one night. So that's where she got that name. For "A Porch Cat"!

Somebody dumped her out here in the Country where I live.
We just take her carrier in the MH for her to use as a bed when we are driving. And she sleeps in it when we're moving. I strap it down in the recliner so she can see out the window when awake.

I just unzip the top about half way and she props herself up on the zipped half. She's a happy camper! Never gets out of our site or sight of the MH at the campgrounds.
Thats cool

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #702

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Porcha looks like a happy camper...

ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #703

Vintage RV Owners Club
Finally have her home...

First up ... clean interior,
find a way to make blinds behave better and secure them while on the road, clean fresh water tank,
run water on top to check for leaks
plug it in a run electrical items
fill with propane,
Check propane items

And whoopee! I found appliance manuals in a drawer for heater, fridge,generator, and microwave... so that's some of the puzzle parts!
I would feel better if the gas gauge worked, but DH didn't want to spend on that yet until he had other stuff fixed, Like the exhaust manifold and a couple coolant leaks... which are now fixed.

At this point I was thinking what's another 100 bucks to be sure I don't run out of gas on the road...but I don't make the bucks... just spend them!
MartySQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #704

[QUOTE=MartySQ;1105786]Finally have her home...

First up ... clean interior,
find a way to make blinds behave better and secure them while on the road, clean fresh water tank,
run water on top to check for leaks
plug it in a run electrical items
fill with propane,
Check propane items

Sounds like a good plan, how about some interior shots as you go. And hey, a powered parachute for a toad? That's far out, kinda like a James Bond film would have.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #705

Vintage RV Owners Club
Step in the door and look left and here is the view:

Look right and this is your view...

MartySQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #706

Nice Marty, real clean unit there, keep us posted.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #707

Getting started

Names Terry.The wife,[Dianna], and I just bought an older,1984 Vogue 2 33ft. center bath, that we just got home today.Ran out fine,[454],seemed to have ample power. The interior is decent,but awfully dated so were going to start tearing out the carpet and the hida bed and redo the walls and do the floors ,probably with the Allure vinal board type flooring.The wife thinks it would wear better than wood, so I gotta do as I'm requested.
We already removed everthing that wasn't bolted down today and began the cleaning.I'll begin removing the old carpeting on my next days off.
I'll post plenty of pic's as I work along, and appreciate any suggestions as to how to accomplish the tasks that I'm undertaking.
Looking forward to getting on the road on my vacations this year,See you around.
Something is wrong and the site will not allow me to upload any pics right now, I'll post later.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #708

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhigham View Post
Names Terry.The wife,[Dianna], and I just bought an older,1984 Vogue 2 33ft.
We have a 1990 Mallard on the Chevy chassis with the 454. It's a good chassis. Make sure your tires are good. You don't want a blowout on that rig. I had a blowout last summer due to the cheap Chinese tires that the previous owner had on this thing. Now I have a full set of Cooper 10plys, E-rated. Keep an eye on tire pressures and keep them at the rated pressure for that tire.

Historically, the 454's are hard on plug wires, especially on cylinder #7 (right rear). It's a good idea to keep a spare set of plug wires, rotor cap and button on board. If the motorhome starts stumbling when pulling hills and such a good suspect is those things. You can fix it on the side of the road pretty quick. Just don't lose track of the routing of the plug wires, just replace one at a time.

You probably have the turbo 400 transmission. That's a good transmission. It's easy to service and should be serviced regularly. I will tell you this. When it's full it may weep some tranny fluid when working hard pulling mountains. They have a vent tube on them. When I pull the toad up a long mountain climb the transmission will spray some transmission fluid on my CRV. I don't really care. It doesn't hurt anything.

Your master cylinder is located under the driver's seat portion of the chassis. It's a pain to check but, do so before every trip. If you need to it's easy to replace. You have to jack up the MH (be safe, good jacks, jack stands and wheel chocks), pull the left front wheel and well liner. Then it's not to bad. Helps a lot to have a air ratchet.

If yours has the added electric fans on the radiator then you may need to repair that at some point. It's easy. The parts are: Factory Air Switch turns the fans on when coolant temp reaches a certain level. The relay is just a standard, off the shelf heavy duty relay, and 30amp circuit breaker. There is also a switch in the AC freon line and of course, the fans.

You probably have two batteries that can be linked together by a switch in the RV. The solenoid for that, in my RV, is mounted to the inside engine compartment area in front of the driver's compartment. Make sure to take out your phone and snap a picture before you disconnect anything so you get it back together the right way. The house battery and the chassis battery are wired very specifically.

Change out your fuel filter right now. You can buy it at Walmart for cheap and it's like, the most common filter GM uses. But, for a 454 it's small. It is located on the inside of the right side frame rail about halfway between the axles. I can crawl under my MH and change that thing out in 5 minutes. It might save you from replacing a fuel pump (this is assuming that you have the fuel pump in the fuel tank).

If you have the rubber roof and find that it needs a recoat it's an easy but, messy job. I used EDPM liquid rubber. I bought the 5 gallon bucket of white rubber designed for commercial roofs. It was cheaper than the RV version and I was told that it's the same stuff. It takes about 4 gallons to get a good coat and then I saved the last gallon to touch it up a few months later. I feel real good about the roof on my RV. Basically you mix the whole thing and cover the roof. Take what's left over and put it in the fridge. Wait a few months and then get up there and put what's leftover on the places that look a little thin.

Have fun. I love the older motorhomes. We have camped in ours in the heat at the beach and in freezing cold at dog shows. My RV requires all my attention to drive. I think all the older class A's tend to want to wander in the lane a little. You just have to pay attention. No texting and driving.

We carry two electric heaters in our RV even though the furnace works fine. When it's chilly the electric heaters work fine. When it's really cold we use the furnace (and maybe electric heaters too). We still have the original TV in ours with a DTV converter box. So, we can get local antenna TV or use the cable at the campground. We have a 4K Onan generator on board. I run it every two weeks all year. That keeps it running like a top. I change the oil once a year and use Rotella 15-40 and a Fram oil filter. I tuned it up last summer. That's an easy job.

As far as servicing the P30 chassis I have a grease gun from harbor Freight. I use 10-30 (what ever is on sale) oil and a Fram filter on the engine. I think it takes like, 7 quarts of oil. The tranny is just that standard DexIII or DexMerc. I change out the coolant every two years. I change the air filter every year and just use a cheap filter like Fram or STP. The PCV valve is the same as a 3500 truck and I change that every two years. I haven't messed with the spark plugs since I bought it. It purrs so, I just leave it alone. In the fall I start adding Sea Foam to the gas. When I winterize it I add several cans of Sea Foam since it will basically sit for several months only getting started and driven short distances. The carb on my generator is as clean as a new one and I credit the Sea Foam.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #709

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhigham View Post
The interior is decent,but awfully dated so were going to start tearing out the carpet and the hida bed and redo the walls and do the floors ,probably with the Allure vinal board type flooring.The wife thinks it would wear better than wood, so I gotta do as I'm requested.
We already removed everthing that wasn't bolted down today and began the cleaning.I'll begin removing the old carpeting on my next days off.
We just recently pulled out the old carpet and laid down Snaplock Vinyl Plank Flooring from Armstrong (Lowe's) and we love it!

Tearing out the carpet was nasty, since they're held in with 10 zillion rusty staples, but laying the planks was fast and easy, except for the fancy cutting required; straight cuts are just score-and-snap with a razor knife).

The look is beautiful (it really does look exactly like wood) and so easy to sweep and clean. Because of the snap-lock edges, its waterproof, so no worries about spills (unlike laminates). We put a good underlayment down, so its not cold.

We put new carpet down the sides of the bed where the dog sleeps and in the cockpit and doghouse. Hadn't planned on redoing the cockpit, but it looked so crummy when we were done with the vinyl, we had to!

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #710

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
We just recently pulled out the old carpet and laid down Snaplock Vinyl Plank Flooring from Armstrong (Lowe's) and we love it!

Tearing out the carpet was nasty, since they're held in with 10 zillion rusty staples, but laying the planks was fast and easy, except for the fancy cutting required; straight cuts are just score-and-snap with a razor knife).

The look is beautiful (it really does look exactly like wood) and so easy to sweep and clean. Because of the snap-lock edges, its waterproof, so no worries about spills (unlike laminates). We put a good underlayment down, so its not cold.

We put new carpet down the sides of the bed where the dog sleeps and in the cockpit and doghouse. Hadn't planned on redoing the cockpit, but it looked so crummy when we were done with the vinyl, we had to!
And... so... where are the pictures?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #711

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Our '75 Chieftain

Here are some pictures of our 25' 1975 Winnebago Chieftain. We've had it for about 6 years and have have been slowly working on it. The biggest mechanical issues were getting the rear brakes working and replacing the Thermoquad carb on the 440 last summer. We've been painting the outside bit by bit and replaced the carpeting on the inside with some wood grained vinyl flooring for right now. We also had the front seats recovered with a saddle colored vinyl since the original flower patterned cloth was pretty ripped up.

The 5kw Onan generator works very well and the roof top a/c unit still blows cold air! I've added hangers for a 32" flat screen tv inside and out so we can entertain our neighbors with movies.

Dave

Old 03-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #712

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Awsome
Old 03-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #713
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Love the "Eye brow" Winnies.