Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #743

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks my wife and I got her for 5200 Had to fix some things on her and still learning a lot about rv's

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #744

Here's our Dodge "Jayco" Sportsman 23ft Class C. She's a '77, but you'd never know it. It's mostly original, including paint, which still shines thanks to a coat of wax every now and then. Never had a problem with it for as long as my family has owned it...just a few touch-ups here and there over the years. This Jayco has been a testament to how well Jayco built their motorhomes, and how ahead of their time they were (lets face it, there was some odd looking stuff made in the 70s). Many thought ours was an 89-90 lol.

If only they all held up this nice...

When I polish it, I tape off the windows/molding, so I don't get any on the matte black window frames. Wax stains anything that isn't shiny. Spray detailer also helps keep make that wax job last twice as long.

Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #745

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Wow.. nice. Guess I wish most would simply wax theirs once in a while... Mine has faded and pealing paint. Cant even Red max Pro it at this point..
Old 04-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #746

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
Here's our Dodge "Jayco" Sportsman Class C. She's a '77, but you'd never know it. It's mostly original, including paint, which still shines thanks to a coat of wax every now and then. Never had a problem with it for as long as my family has owned it...just a few touch-ups here and there over the years. This Jayco has been a testament to how well Jayco built their motorhomes, and how ahead of their time they were (lets face it, there was some odd looking stuff made in the 70s). Many thought ours was an 89-90 lol.

Where do you store it?

in a time capsule?

Very Nice!

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #747

Vintage RV Owners Club
OOO! I like, very nice! need to wax mine when I get it back...
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Where do you store it?

in a time capsule?

Very Nice!

Thanks. I'm glad you like it. We love it. We keep it outside, which might surprise some given how it looks. It has seen plenty of hot summer sun/elements. A coat of wax and some window shades to prevent fading... that's all you need to keep an RV looking decent. No RV carports required.

When the Jayco Corporation saw it a few years back, even they were impressed. At that point, it was a little over 30yrs old.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #749

Here is our 1985 coachmen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2953609227.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	516.0 KB
ID:	19935   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2906774920.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	504.0 KB
ID:	19936  

Old 04-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhigham View Post
Coach battery is isolated +, shared ground. The chassis batteries are in parallel. Whaen I bought the thing the guy had the two little batteries in it one for the coach, one for the chassis, so I used them for the chassis, and installed the 8D,(which was what the spec's called for), for the coach.
Quote:
I didn't mean to put a picture of the battereis on here, but got my picture numbers screwed up when I was uploading them. Terry
It makes sense to me now Terry. I am a retired Distribution Op's Electrical Technician for the Power Company and we used batteries in our Substations to power the switching equipment during power outages. So naturally your battery pictures caught my eye. Had a very young "College Wonder made Supervisor" one time who wanted to start throwing car batteries into the mix with the Industrial batteries, and I had to educate him as to why different amperage batteries would be a bad idea. I don't think he caught on, but finally gave the idea up at my insistence.

I'm glad you did put that picture up. Even with all my dealings with batteries I have never considered putting in Industrial Batteries in my Motor coach. But it makes perfect sense for the Coach power. I have room for three of those monsters in my battery bay. The Chassis battery is under the hood.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
Here's our Dodge "Jayco" Sportsman 23ft Class C. She's a '77, but you'd never know it. It's mostly original, including paint, which still shines thanks to a coat of wax every now and then. Never had a problem with it for as long as my family has owned it...just a few touch-ups here and there over the years. This Jayco has been a testament to how well Jayco built their motorhomes, and how ahead of their time they were (lets face it, there was some odd looking stuff made in the 70s). Many thought ours was an 89-90 lol.

When I polish it, I tape off the windows/molding, so I don't get any on the matte black window frames. Wax stains anything that isn't shiny. Spray detailer also helps keep make that wax job last twice as long.
I am blown away with your Coach Jon. That is a great looking finish!
Old 04-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #752

Thumbs up NICE real NICE JON

I have to say that 77 looks as good or better than some 97's or 2007's on the road today. How's the interior and could you share some pics?

You should be one proud owner, it shows for sure.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #753

Made some progress on my days off, got all but a few pieces of final cut finished on the floor, still gotta do the entrance step and run moulding. Not sure what I'm going to do in the cockpit area, but it looks awfully shabby now against the rest of the floor. Located one more very small leak with my inspection camera that was behind the water heater,where some ,I'm sure good intentioned moron did a water line repair.Still can't figure out if they did it replacing the water heater or what.Wife's making new black out curtains for the cockpit area right now, still has to heam them,but has all the pleating completed. Ill keep you all posted.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #754

Meant to post pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-04-13_19-16-41_852.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	20026   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-13_19-19-55_509.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	20027  

Name:	2012-04-13_10-31-59_528.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	20028   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-13_19-18-38_732.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	20029  

Old 04-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #755

Sorry ,still getting used to this.This is the plumbing pic I meant to post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-04-13_14-19-08_528.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	20030  
Old 04-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #756

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry ,still getting used to this.This is the plumbing pic I meant to post.
If you haven't already fixed this fine example of plumbing mayhem, try using Shark Bite style fittings- they will let you go from copper to pvc or PEX and back to copper if that's what you need. They are pricey but the best thing ever for fixing old plumbing in hard-to-reach places.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote