Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #855

Here is my 1971 Cobra Metropolitan slide in camper we just got it Sunday.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #856

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdaisy View Post
I haven't been able to determine what it holds. It is so old and I got no manuals. The Vehicle Data Card says it is a Manchester 65142 but I got nothing when researching that. The size is about 3 feet by 1 feet. Does that sound similar to yours. Also, the fridge will be operating on elect, but it will use a tiny amount of propane for the cooling unit. Is that similar to how yours uses propane or does your fridge use only propane?

Thanks so much for any help.

Sounds the same as mine, I have no clue how much it holds! Sounds like you won't be using much though. Is there a way to hook it up to your bbq tank if need be?

I'm pretty sure we've never run ours on anything but propane so I have no clue how much you'd go through.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #857

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I haven't been able to determine what it holds. It is so old and I got no manuals. The Vehicle Data Card says it is a Manchester 65142 but I got nothing when researching that. The size is about 3 feet by 1 feet. Does that sound similar to yours. Also, the fridge will be operating on elect, but it will use a tiny amount of propane for the cooling unit. Is that similar to how yours uses propane or does your fridge use only propane?

My fridge uses no propane when running on 120V. Also, if you are in a CG where electricity is included, you will save money by purchasing a small hotplate for cooking. I don't use ANY propane when I have CG hookups.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #858

Carolina Campers
our Rig

first one is "In the beginning"
second one is "@ Roy's in Amboy, Ca with current loadout" (17700lbs total)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2290.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	573.6 KB
ID:	21829   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0048.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	21830  

Old 06-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #859

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Here is my 1971 Cobra Metropolitan slide in camper we just got it Sunday.
Cool two tone gold white color combo, that's so seventies!

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Especially with the quilt design in the gold... awesome! I would totally throw a disco ball in there somewhere!
Old 06-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #861

Quote:
VIN year digits/numbers are counted from right to left. You can not read the VIN like a book from left to right because the year can be in different positions due to different lengths of VIN's. Up until 1979 the VIN year would be numeric i.e. 9 could be '69 or '79. In 1980 the VIN year started with A for '80, B for '81 and so on.

The year is the eighth digit/letter from the right.
And, if I recall correctly, Z is 2000. After that, the digit is again a number. I'm not sure what happened in 2010.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #862

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdaisy
I hope I'm not interrupting anything, I'm still learning this forum but I am kinda in a dither.
HELP. I just got settled in my rv park to stay for the next 4 months and checked my propane tank guage and I only have a fourth of tank left. I meant to stop on the way but thought I had more than that and would be ok. If I am using it only for the fridge and tiny bit of stove use or none depending on what I find out, do you think it will last the four months?
Your fridge should require absolutely no propane running on 120v. The only part of it that could while on 120v would be the gas pilot, which can be turned off when running on 120.

I'm assuming that your propane tank is not removable and able to be taken somewhere to be filled. There is a product called Extend-a-Stay that can be installed on your current propane tank that allows you to connect portable propane tanks to run off of. If you're fairly handy you can install it yourself. Pretty easy. They're a little pricey at around a hundred bucks or so but well worth it in a situation like yours. Also, the Deluxe model comes with a long hose that allows you to use your propane on grills, lighting, etc.

Or, you could just bite the bullet, pull out, and get your tank filled. I can see a tankfull possibly lasting four months under minimal use. No guarantee though.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #863

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndolph
first one is "In the beginning"
second one is "@ Roy's in Amboy, Ca with current loadout" (17700lbs total)
Ha! Your Jamboree looks just like ours mostly. We call ours Jambo-Moho-Pig. Why you ask? 6.8 MPG! That's why it's currently setting at a seasonal spot for "staycations" at a local campground.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #864

Thumbs up

Quote:
Cool rig, what great condition, can we see inside please?

Old 06-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #865

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven1 View Post
Your fridge should require absolutely no propane running on 120v. The only part of it that could while on 120v would be the gas pilot, which can be turned off when running on 120.

I'm assuming that your propane tank is not removable and able to be taken somewhere to be filled. There is a product called Extend-a-Stay that can be installed on your current propane tank that allows you to connect portable propane tanks to run off of. If you're fairly handy you can install it yourself. Pretty easy. They're a little pricey at around a hundred bucks or so but well worth it in a situation like yours. Also, the Deluxe model comes with a long hose that allows you to use your propane on grills, lighting, etc.

Or, you could just bite the bullet, pull out, and get your tank filled. I can see a tankfull possibly lasting four months under minimal use. No guarantee though.

Thanks to all who sent replies. I was kinda overwhelmed yesterday and felt panicky. I decided the waterheater pilot and (possibly) the fridge will not use much propane. I am just going to keep watching the guage and if it does get down to an eighth, I'll drive out and find some propane.
Thanks again.
texasdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #866

Quote:

I've run my Dometic 3 way freezer fridge sucessfully with zero propane from months. So, you should be fine if you can keep the fridge on 120 volt. I have fixed my propane system so I can switch over to a regular BBQ grill tank. Then I can do an exchange at the local Wally World. Maybe you can find a local propane company that will deliver. I get my Coach tank filled by the guys who fill up my propane tank at the house. Same price and they are happy to sell me more gas.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #867

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
Especially with the quilt design in the gold... awesome! I would totally throw a disco ball in there somewhere!
No disco in 1971- we were still doing hard rock at that time

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #868

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks to all who sent replies. I was kinda overwhelmed yesterday and felt panicky. I decided the waterheater pilot and (possibly) the fridge will not use much propane. I am just going to keep watching the guage and if it does get down to an eighth, I'll drive out and find some propane.
Thanks again.
Your water heater will use significant propane if you leave it lit all the time. If you turn it off and relight it only when you'll need hot water, you'll save a lot, but I doubt if it will last for months.

The fridge either is running on propane (usually with 12volt DC electric controls) or its not. Its certainly not using 110 volt AC AND propane. If you leave it on propane, it will be burning pretty much all the time in warmer weather. Turn it to electric (110 volt AC) if that's an option.

It won't hurt anything to run completely out of propane, but why is it a problem to just get it filled? Unless you are in a very remote area, propane is usually readily available, at gas stations, co-ops and propane dealers.

Ask the campground office if a local propane truck will make deliveries, and get it filled at your site.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote