Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #967

Quote:
Originally Posted by themsuangel View Post
That's pretty awesome. Ideas for me are to install solar panels and have everything run on electric. Put in LED lighting. Take out the propane system. I guess there's no way of making the engine electric. It'll be cool to run on the sun. My first goal is to make everything sound before buying pretty stuff for it.

I'll see if a wind break is allowed. Might be a good idea to keep the under carriage from the elements.
Be sure to run a "cost vs return" on the solar powered RV idea. For lighting and such, sure!
But, as a main source of propulsion, it's not going to pay, and you'll be disappointed with the performance.
Having strictly solar powered vehicles are a long way away. Especially big RV's.

You can build your own wind generators to assist your solar panels with keeping the batteries topped off for general electrical needs, but making an RV that you could drive strictly on the sun is not financially viable today. You be better served to make it nuclear powered. Would be about the same money and you could run the same uranium pellets for 30 years. But then there would be that "Government Approval Hoop" you'd have to jump through with the EPA and NRC! But, if money were no object in this discussion you wouldn't have to worry about owning a old Classic RV now would you? You'd be cruising in style in the latest million dollar land yacht, like all the rich folks do. To heck with fuel prices! You be like,
"Wonder how the caviar is in Aspen today? Let's go see!"

Or taking your dog along behind you on vacatino in his own Gummit Owned Jet Aircraft.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
Be sure to run a "cost vs return" on the solar powered RV idea. For lighting and such, sure!
I totally agree. I did a cost versus return for our motor home and it just didn't work out for our usage. The other issue that I had with a large solar system besides the outrageous cost was the amount of weight it would add to the motor home. You can generate all the power you want, but if you are not immediately using it then you have to store it somewhere and large battery banks add a lot weight. And even if the GVWR would allow the extra weight of the batteries, where would I put them. I find it funny that everyone refers to solar as a free energy source, what about the cost of batteries, solar panels, controllers, wiring, etc, etc. The cost of the system is far from free, gas for our generator along with frugal usage of our appliances is far more cost effective than the cost of a worth while solar system.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #969

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Although, panels have gotten to the 85 cent per watt range now... And, you dont really need that many batteries.. Theres a thread or two on here about it...
Old 07-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #970

Vintage RV Owners Club
here is a pic from my first shake down run on my 1975 superior. i have been slowly makign progress on it, rewired the entire exterior lighting system front to back, and installed led tail lights, did a wheel cylender and wheel seal, as well s put in a new water tank couch and fridge. It still needs a good bit more work but it is finally registered and ou ton the road again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	23357  
Old 07-11-2012, 04:53 AM   #971

Mid Atlantic Campers
Working on restoring our 1965 Shasta Airflyte. Could use any input on this model.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #972

My 1975 Dodge Sportsman Open Road 20

Bought this 3 months ago for $1000. I've only had to replace the converter, fix a couple water lines, changed ALL fluids and filters. Kohler Genset still runs A/C and all appliances are working too. This was a true fall in my lap kinda deal. Very little water damage to a front left of the cabin just behind the drivers door. Needs a paint job. (PO tested a color as seen in the bottom left behind the rear wheels). It only has 2000 miles on all tires. I'm third owner with 160,700 miles. Has always been under a cover and has not been used for 2 years except being started a few times. More pictures attached.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-05-11_09-41-01_745.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	23415   Click image for larger version

Name:	7198725736_9fddc3a7cd_b.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	23417  

Name:	7198741894_990e1bf3f2_b.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	23418   Click image for larger version

Name:	7198756866_95b4d4b0bc_b.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	23419  

Name:	7198713950_33e817f5af_b.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	23420  
Old 07-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #973

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Congratulations!!! She looks well cared for; a real find!!

Hope that you have lot's of wonderful times with her.

Sheila

OBTW, WELCOME!!!
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:10 AM   #974

Quote:
Originally Posted by boharris
Bought this 3 months ago for $1000. I've only had to replace the converter, fix a couple water lines, changed ALL fluids and filters. Kohler Genset still runs A/C and all appliances are working too. This was a true fall in my lap kinda deal. Very little water damage to a front left of the cabin just behind the drivers door. Needs a paint job. (PO tested a color as seen in the bottom left behind the rear wheels). It only has 2000 miles on all tires. I'm third owner with 160,700 miles. Has always been under a cover and has not been used for 2 years except being started a few times. More pictures attached.
Nice score!!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #975

Quote:
Originally Posted by boharris View Post
Bought this 3 months ago for $1000....
Very nice, Bo; there's a lot of good times left in that rig!
TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #976

Carolina Campers
Sweet! Do you still have the 16.5 wheels and tires? I changed all of mine due to the unavailability of new rubber... what was on the RV was 7 years old with the rubber tits still on them... That was the only 'major' item that I did... mine is a Jamboree on a Dodge Chassis with a 440 and 727 tranny... runs great.... good luck and enjoy!
Old 07-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #977

I love the layout, even the wine color inside.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #978

Here is our new to us 1988 Winnebago Chieftain 22, got her on Craig's List for 2400, 78K miles, well cared for, so far, so good!

Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #979

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I love the old Winnies! Looks like maybe some delamination along the bottom of the wall in the second picture. Any water damage evident inside? Good luck with her!
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #980

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Couldnt tell if that was delamination or some kind of reflection.. The shadpws from the mirror and running light seem to indicate its a reflection