Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #995

1965 Kodiak Camper Trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	1,021.6 KB
ID:	24028   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	24029  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	24030  
jeffdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #996

Reminds me of an old trailer my parents had in the backyard for the longest time before they finally sold it. It was supposed to be a project for my dad but that never happened. lol
Old 07-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #997

Kodiak Camper

I had a friend that had one like yours and he cut a square hole in the front and put a window airconditioner in it. I used it a few times and that baby would freeze you out. It was nice to use for fishing trips to the state park. I bought a small generator thinking he and I could use it to run the air on the next fishing trip. That way we could hit some fishing spots out in the boonies that were not over fished. Only to find out he decited to trade the camper for a nice hunting rifle. Kim Enjoy!
KWitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #998

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Your 13.5 kw AC unit will not cool much over 20 degrees below ambient temperature- that is, if its 95 degrees on the roof, you will probably see 75 degrees inside.

If the cooling is much LESS than 20 degrees, you might want to check/clean your inside air filters and clean and straighten the fins on the evaporator and condenser units on the roof.

Its tough to cool off an uninsulated tin box, period. Try using Reflectix on the windows on the sunny side, use your patio awning and close your drapes and blinds, especially on the windshield to help you AC work its best.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #999

AC Unit

Thanks Chief, I backed my RV in my drive way, cut a few branches off a fur tree so I could get close to the garage and use the cord on the RV and leave the extention cord alone. The AC unit was putting out 65 degree air.(Using a thermometer) You are right about trying to cool down a hot RV. I turned the AC unit on in the morning and it seemed to keep up with the heat when we gave it a chance.
Now I have to get someone to look at the generator. It doesn't like to have a load put on it. It will cough, sputter and just about quit when I turn on the rear AC. Until then we will just plug the thing in. I will get this thing ship shape one of these days. Thanks again, Kim.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #1000
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWitzki View Post
Now I have to get someone to look at the generator. It doesn't like to have a load put on it. It will cough, sputter and just about quit when I turn on the rear AC.
Is it getting fresh gas?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #1001

Generator issue

Hey John, I have filled the tank a few times and I use the mid-grade in the RV. My wife and I picked the RV up in Lincoln Ne and we ran the gererator to run the furnace on the trip home. We bought the rig back in late Feb. and the temp was around 20 below. Not one of our brightest ideas. The generator ran well then but the AC must pull a few more amps. I might try adding some carb cleaner in the gas tank and just let the thing run. Question does the RV need to be level to run the generator? I changed the oil in the generator and suppose it should be run from time to time to keep things from drying out.
The RV was one that was lived in by the owners son so I don't think he used the generator much. I did not find this out until Merry and I drove the 400 plus miles to purchase the RV. I guess I did not ask about that when I talked with the owner. All in all the thing is in pretty good shape for being almost 30 years old. I think if we use this rig enough we will up grade to a newer one. Thanks for the reply. Kim
Old 07-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #1002
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It does not really have to be level to run, I would think that any severe out of level condition that would hurt it you would not be parked or driving at.

The next thing I would consider is changing the fuel filter for it.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #1003

Generator issue

Why did I not think of the fuel filter. Good idea! I shall give that a try and see what happens. I bet that thing has not been replaced ever.
How did you add your RV photo with your name? I would add one of Merry and me or one of the rig. KW
Old 07-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #1004
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWitzki View Post
How did you add your RV photo with your name? I would add one of Merry and me or one of the rig. KW
Read reply #14 of this thread if I try explaining it you we may end up closing the site down

If you don't get the hang of it let me know via the PM system and we'll get it taken care of for you.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #1005

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would guess the fuel filter as well but low oil will have a similar effect. The gen. will run fine for a few minutes but then as the oil starts to run and thin a little it will try to shut off under the low oil automatic cut-off. I had the same problem and took the fuel filter out and found it to be clean. I checked the oil and it was a little low. After I changed the oil it ran perfect. My manual says to let it warm up for a minute before putting any heavy loads on too. Good luck with it!
Cubine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #1006

Generator

I will top off the oil. I checked it and it is a little low but not to the add mark yet. I purchased some carb cleaner additive to add to the tank and we will get the rv backed into the driveway and let the generator run for a while. I am crossing my fingers that this works. If not she will have to see the gen-a-coligest.That was bad I know. Thanks for the advice KW
Old 07-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #1007

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
When you tried to start the AC, had you let the generator run for a while or did you try to start it up as soon as you fired off the gennie?

Your generator requires a few minutes, maybe 5, to warm up before you attempt to put any load on it. It will shudder, shake and die if you add a load too soon.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #1008

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
A better method to clean the gennie carb is to add a full can of SeaFoam to a one gallon can of gas.

Disconnect the rubber fuel line, insert it into the gallon can and fire off the gennie. Let it run for an hour or until the can is empty. This will clean the worst varnish out of the carb (typically, the symptom from varnish is surging when not under load).

Also, besides checking/replacing the fuel filter, look carefully at the rubber fuel line all the way back to the tank. If its perished or cracking, it may be collapsing or sucking air when fuel is being pulled rapidly through it.