Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #1037

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
Check the flex seal before you paint. Consumer Reports gave it not-so-good report on its ability to stop leaks. It only worked where it could fill in small spaces like a screen. It failed on roofing material and gutters.
Can imagine you sleeping under a drip
Not so good

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #1038

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
Wishing her the best and good intentions for perfect recovery

Old 08-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #1039

1979 Suncruiser

Hi all, i'm completely new to all this. Picked up a 1979 Suncruiser from kijiji... lots to learn!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120813-00431.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	550.1 KB
ID:	24865  
Old 08-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #1040

Vintage RV Owners Club
Haven't put my pics here yet. "It" is a 1983 Honey on an 83 Ford chassis, 460/C6. Got less than 500 in it so far.

So far, I've found that:

A/C works like a champ
A/C leaks in thru ceiling
A/C leak falls into kitchen sink

Went through a hailstorm which pulverized the roof
Parked it in barn, until I get roof fixed

Roof has holes in it from hailstorm
Hailstorm was most recent rainfall we've had, so virtually NO rot or mildew, as the summer south Texas sun dried it back out fast...structural parts of ceiling/roof are solid

Discovered in barn from some project 20 years ago, a roll of 4 ft flashing
Said flashing is going on roof

Ceiling has one section over kitchen that I pulled down to replace
Ceiling has ONLY one section that needs replaced

Fridge works and gets cold on propane
Generator cranks
12v water system works, no leaks Have not hooked pressure hose up to it yet
Tanks are intact and stinkwater tanks don't leak
(It came with a full freshwater tank, which I ran through all the sinks/tub/commode into the other tanks, and let sit for a day.

Both fuel tanks were full of NASTY gasoline, which is now sitting in a 55 gallon drum. Got lotsa fire-starting juice now

Engine cranks smoothly; today's the day I will probably get it started. It's a 25 mile round trip to get parts, so I tend to bounce from project to project, getting as far as I can on each, before going to town to get the 49 cent doohickey I need each time I need something

Came to me with a frozen up big-ass 1 barrel "Fish carb" on it, which has now been replaced with a Holley 600 4bbl that a friend had in a box on the shelf. (Yes, I am and hang around with packrats! ) Anybody have any experience with this Fish carb? Worth fixing? Paperweight?

ETA: Oh, and it came with a 2 inch tall stack of well-preserved manuals. I'll list them in the next few days in the sticky thread for "manuals"; if anyone needs a copy of something I've got, you're welcome to it!

Look at that dash.... not a crack, and still soft!

Kitchen area's gonna need some work, from dripping A/C or from roof leak from hailstorm, not sure, but end result is the same: the pressboard swole up and failed. Not a problem though--give me something to do

Dinette is solid and easy to sit at, no wobbling on table etc.

Bathroom is in good shape...

Shoved in the barn, where its new home will be, at least until the roof is fixed
Old 08-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #1041

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerLongden View Post
Hi all, i'm completely new to all this. Picked up a 1979 Suncruiser from kijiji... lots to learn!
Ohhh... very nice!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #1042

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckDog View Post
Haven't put my pics here yet. "It" is a 1983 Honey on an 83 Ford chassis, 460/C6. Got less than 500 in it so far.

So far, I've found that:

A/C works like a champ
A/C leaks in thru ceiling
A/C leak falls into kitchen sink

Went through a hailstorm which pulverized the roof
Parked it in barn, until I get roof fixed

Roof has holes in it from hailstorm
Hailstorm was most recent rainfall we've had, so virtually NO rot or mildew, as the summer south Texas sun dried it back out fast...structural parts of ceiling/roof are solid

Discovered in barn from some project 20 years ago, a roll of 4 ft flashing

Ceiling has one section over kitchen that I pulled down to replace
Ceiling has ONLY one section that needs replaced

Fridge works and gets cold on propane
Generator cranks
12v water system works, no leaks Have not hooked pressure hose up to it yet
Tanks are intact and stinkwater tanks don't leak
(It came with a full freshwater tank, which I ran through all the sinks/tub/commode into the other tanks, and let sit for a day.

Both fuel tanks were full of NASTY gasoline, which is now sitting in a 55 gallon drum. Got lotsa fire-starting juice now

Engine cranks smoothly; today's the day I will probably get it started. It's a 25 mile round trip to get parts, so I tend to bounce from project to project, getting as far as I can on each, before going to town to get the 49 cent doohickey I need each time I need something

Came to me with a frozen up big-ass 1 barrel "Fish carb" on it, which has now been replaced with a Holley 600 4bbl that a friend had in a box on the shelf. (Yes, I am and hang around with packrats! ) Anybody have any experience with this Fish carb? Worth fixing? Paperweight?

ETA: Oh, and it came with a 2 inch tall stack of well-preserved manuals. I'll list them in the next few days in the sticky thread for "manuals"; if anyone needs a copy of something I've got, you're welcome to it!

Kitchen area's gonna need some work, from dripping A/C or from roof leak from hailstorm, not sure, but end result is the same: the pressboard swole up and failed. Not a problem though--give me something to do

Your gonna fit right in
Old 08-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #1043

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckDog View Post
Sounds like it has been sitting for a long time. Don't forget to change the engine oil before you try to start it. Oil gets acidic when sitting long periods of time and will damage the engine's main and rod bearings.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #1044

460 Ford Engines

The 460 engine is tough as nails. I would not be suprized that with new oil and gas it starts right up. Just hang in there and before you know it you will be done and out camping. Good Luck! We will be watching for your progress.Check your airconditioner and see how dirty it is. The rear ac on our rv had a hard time cooling. A friend who does ac work checked it and it was filthy dirty. Spent 30,40 minutes blowing it out with compressed air and now it really gets cold. I thought that being 28 years old it needed replaced. Not the case. A little air saved me $500. KW
Old 08-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #1045

Vintage RV Owners Club
You're right, those 460's are tough critters. We've had 'em around the farm for years. The trucks fall apart around 'em

There's two of 'em, and a 300 straight six, sitting behind the stack of lumber you see in the last pic. Not sure which I'd go with if I had to stuff a different piece of iron under the doghouse. 460's are great and tough and all that, but unless you wanna get there FAST, a 300 is tougher and drinks a LOT less gas. In about 1990, I went from a 460 in my pickup to a 300, and I swore I was gonna have to stop ever so often and let gas out of it!

That 300 did drink oil, though.... Dad's running joke at me was that I had to fill it up with oil daily and change the gas every 2500 miles, and he --with a 460-- had to do the opposite!

Didn't get anything done on it today, had to knock off early and go to dinner to celebrate Mom's 78th birthday. First time the whole family had been together since Easter, so it was lots of fun. Next time will probably be Thanksgiving, so we made the most of it.

When I actually get SOMETHING accomplished on this, where I have before and after pics, I'll start a thread in the appropriate section
Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #1046

460/300

I had a friend that would plow snow with a Ford that had a 300 straight 6 and I had a 302 V8 in mine and his pickup did use a lot of oil. In fact he never changed his oil because he just added fresh oil. His 6 would out pull my V8 any day and use less gas.
Grew up on a farm also and my dad was a Ford person and when I bought my first car (GM) he said he thought he raised me better than to bring home a GM car. ooops He was just giving me a hard time. He was a Great dad!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #1047

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1987 Dolphin, 4 cyl. Modified the over the cab bed to accommodate a full size regular mattress. Lived it it full time for three years and kept it for a total of 18 years.

VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #1048

Vintage RV Owners Club
old rigs ROCK
rickricca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #1049

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
1987 Dolphin, 4 cyl. Modified the over the cab bed to accommodate a full size regular mattress. Lived it it full time for three years and kept it for a total of 18 years.

Nice looking rig ... of course, having it 18 years, you do tend to get it looking and acting just like you want it to!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #1050

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelly116
Here is my Holiday I have had for 17 years
I wish my 2000 Holiday Rambler looked that sharp. That is a beautiful, well accented unit.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote