Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2010, 06:21 AM   #99

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
A buddy of mine made a new door using the hardware from the old door mated to a new door from home Depot. He used a door that was close in size and cut it to fit and installed the old window.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianodan View Post
I think total time involved (I did most of it unassisted, other than sliding the old one out, sliding the new one in, and getting the axle in and out of the springs) was almost 3 weeks. I had the old one out on the draveway waiting fkr the new one%2K so during that'time I took cari of the springs and bushing and/looming up the wires, general cleaning stuff as well. It was rather labor intensive, I figured at a shop rate of $85-$125/hr it would have cost me around $7200.00 in labor, maybe more. The new engine was $6250.00, core was $2500.00. This was a "drop in" replacement except I had to make some changes to make room for the inline injector pump (much larger than the old rotary), and I fabricated intercooler (Charge air Cooler, pick the term you like best) piping. I also had to make a new front "insulator" mount (that's an engine mount, it's held in by one up front and two on the tranny), the new bigger engine has a larger dampener pulley on it than the old. Like this year, last year was dead around this time and nobody was calling me to work on their pianos and stuff until around the time I was installing the new engine. I would put them off for a few days, getting the engine in place and hooked up took precedence. Oh, I also had to replace the kickdown cable for the tranny with a shorter one, re-route the throttle cable and make a cable actuator for the injector pump to work.

I did almost the same exact thing to my 90 Fleetwood about 10 years ago. After 75K miles the old Ford just wouldn't do the climb west out of Denver anymore. And yep we are still running it when we can. Had a bunch of Health issues last Summer while School Teacher Wife was off, and going for round two this Summer. Hope to get out to playing regular again maybe next year.
All the work was done by myself (Alone). I went through the front. The biggest difference is I converted from a 460 EFI Ford to a 240 HP Cummins with an AT 542 behind it. The AT is still not giving me the mileage performance I'd hoped. But still a lot better than the 460.

It was a real tight fit. A lot like building a full size ship in a bottle.
Tired Old Ford !

Fresh Newly Rebuilt Cummins!

We just love taking the "Big Girl" to Moab and beyond to use as our home base for our other Adventures you can see attached to the Towed!

It still needs one more gear for the best economy, even after regearing the rearend, but I'm working on that.
I kept the gas gen set and just added a 13 gallon gas tank when I converted the main to diesel. I get some odd looks when I put both both gas and diesel nozzles to it at the same time.

I think I'm going to enjoy this new sight! Something about having your toys paid for makes them that much more fun. And looks like there are several here like me who enjoy tweaking on them.

The FNG
Curtis in TX
Curtis in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #101

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Almost Vintage

My cousins' 1991 Fiesta, soon to be on the market, his girlfriend wants a Class A.
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0262.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	3662
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #102

Our 1983 Pace Arrow. We did all of the renovations ourselves. As you can tell, we love Disney.
litch6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #103

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
This is my 1975 barth I love it and Oh yeah it has less than 1,ooo.00 miles on it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00672.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	4154   Click image for larger version

Name:	049.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	4155  

Name:	133.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	4156  
Ryegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
1975 and not even 1000 miles....WOW.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:05 PM   #105

Vintage RV Owners Club
see my baby
Old 05-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryegal View Post
see my baby
We'd love to!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:58 AM   #107

Fleetwood Owners Club
Any inside pics?
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #108

RYEGAL:

Great unit you have. Please tell us the story about your unit and some more photos etc. How long have you owned her? What are your travel plans?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #109

Vintage RV Owners Club
inside look

This is the inside of my 1975 Barth.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01322.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	4196   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01321.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	4197  

Old 05-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #110

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Strange....two boxs in picture and both are wine bottle boxes.... Great rig Gal, love those clasic colors....
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #111

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'am glad you appreciate her.She is a jewel to drive. I love the big windows in it . Will try to take more pics tomarrow. She was parked across the street from me for many yrs. the man who owned her had a wife and a girlfriend. Wife liked MH girlfriend like Hotels. when his wife died he still let it set there. one day he told me he was going to seel it and wonderd what it would seel for I said not much as it so old. He said he was going to ask $5,000 for it I said no way nobody would pay that. I said I would give him $2,000 for it but it had to be that day. he said no I said ok and walked to my car, as I put my hand on the doornob he ok I just want it out of here. I called my boss and told her I would be late and why she was fine with that. we went to the dmv changed it over and I have been a happy camper since.I lived in it for 2 yrs. Then bought another MH ( larger) so now I have 2 MH and a car for 1 person.LOL I will retire in one year and the Barth and I will travel. the coushions are orginal. Yes I like the colors also.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #112

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"I'll give you 2,000" ....are you sure you're not a used car salesperson......Great story and buy...
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote