Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #1135
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
That is a sweet little Trillium.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #1136

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
What a great Silver Streak, and LOTS of propane too! how comfortable is that?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #1137

Neat Combination

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gringos View Post
I think it was some kind of local club outing. We were in the Lakeside KOA west of Ft. Collins, and woke up on a Friday morning to a bunch of trailers arriving for the weekend. A lot of Airstreams, but there were others too. Especially a lot of really small trailers. They left Sunday morning. We've got photos of several of them.
I saw that old car and trailer just west of Ault CO on hwy 14 a few weeks ago heading west to Fort Collins. I was heading east so I did not get a very long look at it but it sure looked cool.
KWitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdaisy View Post
Do you recall the names of some of the websites you found to have great vintage finds?
I looked all over the web. Then one day I overheard a conversation where a friend of my wife was telling how they ended up with two motorhomes and needed to sell one. I ask a few questions and the next week was driving it home from Virginia. Just keep looking, put the word out that your looking. Right now is a good time to buy a motorhome.

Also, keep in mind to kinda know what the price ranges are for the kind of RV you're looking for and, the condition it's in. That way you'll know when you find a good deal. Make sure to also check the condition of the tires as old tires are dangerous so, you may have that as an extra expense. Then, look for water damage. A little leak that was repaired may not be a big deal but, you have to check and be sure. Sometimes a motorhome can be ruined and you wont know it without paying attention to things like mold, soft spots, etc.. If you find one you love but, find that it has major water damage, keep looking. Most people can't repair that correctly and it can be a huge job.

Things I wouldn't worry too much about, for me, would be like, a generator that turns over but, wont start. If the seller says they were in the habit of not exercising the generator it's almost certainly the carb. That's an easy fix. Leaks in the plumbing are pretty easy to fix, cosmetic stuff, some chassis repairs, etc.. Harbor Freight became my friend when I needed to make repairs, 12 ton jacks, brake lights for the toad, etc..

Have fun and don't get in a hurry but, don't pass when you find what you're looking for. There is no perfect situation but, you can get real close. My chassis is a Chevy P-30. I haven't had the heat issues that people talk about. The front brake lines were replaced already when I bought mine. So, I just drive it.
falconbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #1139

Vintage RV Owners Club
The Polishing process has begun

I've started the polishing process, and it looks like it going to turn out great. The roof looks wet in the pics, but it's not. One can definately tell that this old rig has lived indoors most of its life.

[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0764.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	28018[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0754.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	28015   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0756.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	28016  

Name:	IMG_0761.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	28017  
bryguymi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #1140
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacy View Post
What a great Silver Streak, and LOTS of propane too! how comfortable is that?

We no longer have the Silver Streak. We sold it to purchase a 1989 Avion 34V. It is gone and we now have the 2008 Cameo 5th wheel. The Avion is really missed. It was such a great trailer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #1141

Fleetwood Owners Club
That is looking fantastic! I have quite a bit of fiberglass on my Tioga. Can you tell us a little about the product and process you're using to get that shine? Thanks!
Cubine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubine View Post
That is looking fantastic! I have quite a bit of fiberglass on my Tioga. Can you tell us a little about the product and process you're using to get that shine? Thanks!
I hope he says Red Max Pro! I have 2 gallons of that, and if I can get those kind of results...
Old 10-23-2012, 05:27 AM   #1143

Vintage RV Owners Club
Polishing process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubine View Post
First, I'm using a heavy duty rubbing compound with a professional buffer, then Meguirer's Cleaner Wax. I think an important thing to note here is that this motorhome has spent most of it's life inside, so instead of sun-fade, the primary issue is age-oxidation.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #1144

I'm rebuilding this old Holiday Rambler, but have no idea what year it is.. It has a shower and flush toilet /w a on demand hot water heater and a 30 gal. water tank that can be pressurized. It also has a LP gas frig from Sweden and a nice little stove with an oven. It's all pine inside and about 16'x 8' inside.
Haven't figure out how to upload the pix yet so only can show you the little one under my name.
Budd-Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Here is my 1971 Cobra Metropolitan slide in camper we just got it Sunday.

Man I love that!
Funrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #1146

Here is my two: First 1986 Prowler 3000 CL: then 1971 Airstream Overlander International - still working on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0386.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	28555   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7007.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	28556  

mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #1147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budd-Hand View Post
Haven't figure out how to upload the pix yet so only can show you the little one under my name.
Your title should have the year...

The easiest way to upload a picture is when you are composing a post. Scroll down and click "manage attachments" then browse out to your folder where you keep the photo... and click the file then click upload. The board automatically creates a clickable thumbnail of the picture and puts it in the post for you. (you won't see it until you submit or click preview)
SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:27 AM   #1148

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
Man I love that!
GREAT looking old truck camper! Got any interior pics?