Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #1205

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68westfalia View Post
My 1968 VW Westfalia. My RV for the spots my Class C can't fit into.
That is a real nice VW

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #1206

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68westfalia View Post

My 1968 VW Westfalia. My RV for the spots my Class C can't fit into.
Niiice

Old 01-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomask View Post
Paint looks good from the pictures and the interior turned out nice too. By chance did you take a "before" picture you could share?

I want to put down a new "wood look" floor. Carpet just has no place down the aisle of a motorhome. What did you use on your floor?

I have had the RV for so lone I did not think to take a before picture. i found a photo from a trip many years ago i will try to scan & post. The factory paint, normal 80s cream with a stype. The new floor is Lowes peel & stick wood look strip about 3 inches wide by 36 inches long. It will not let add picture, I will add new post called my old paint job.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #1208

My old paint job

I am learning how to load pictures, Thanks .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pre paint.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	31701  
Old 01-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #1209

Thumbs up Nice work

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyralph View Post
I am learning how to load pictures, Thanks .
Thanks pappyralph, We all enjoy seeing before and after pics.

How hard was the install on that flooring and can you give any tips? Has it held up to your needs? It sure looks good compared to carpet which looks good till you do some real camping. I have noted in the last few years hard surface flooring is the norm in most rigs and carpet has been sent to the rear of the bus for bedrooms it seems.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #1210

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Niiice
NICE, That great looking VW bus brings back many great high school memories including camping at the Daytona Speedway.

Your VW camper is one of the all time classic campers if there ever was one. IMO
Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #1211

I thought it was fairly easy to install. It is a vinyl product, easy to cut. i did not try to do the drivers area. I removed any chairs & the sofa. I did new carpet in drivers area & put down a piece of carpet trim where products meet. Any flaws or cracks in sub floor tends to show on vinyl. I stapled the peremeter vinyl here & there to help pervent any shifting between strips. Is it perfect, no, but is more than OK for DIY & $.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #1212

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I kinda posted these in the "intro" thread, so this may be overdoing it a bit. But, I figured if nothing else they can serve as the "before" shots. Here's my newly acquired 1984 Southwind Eagle;

As you can see, her "makeup" is starting to run a bit and wear thin in places;

I found all the original paperwork with service records dating back to March of 1985 when the PO purchased the unit. He was living in California at the time. Moved to Idaho and then retired to Florida. So, she's seen quite a bit of the country it looks like. He did a really good job taking care of the inside as the pics show;

However, outside of the Pergo flooring, I plan to pretty much change everything else. Including the floral pattern walls in the bathroom.

1984 was a good year for "faux" wood, obviously. Most of these center drawer/door pulls are broken or not working very smoothly so I believe I'm just going to redo all the cabinet and drawer doors. Plus, I don't really care for cabinets that don't have some molding on them.

And, believe this or not, SWMBO is requesting a removal of the sofa and reinstallation of a dinnette booth, so I think I'm going to try something like this;

But styled more like a traditional booth, for room purposes, like this;
Old 01-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #1213

That's a good looking rig.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #1214

It's really inspiring to have gone through this entire thread and seen the fruits of all these brave souls' labor. Great job everyone. I am learning quickly that owning an older RV can be extremely challenging, but now seeing what others have accomplished, I have a renewed sense of hope. We've already done a lot to our almost vintage 94 Endeavor, and perhaps in a year when it becomes vintage (at least as far as this thread is concerned) I'll post some of the pics of the upgrades with details about all the mechanical work I've undertaken thus far. It may never be as beautiful as some of the rigs I've seen here, and it will NEVER be perfect, but I'm more optimistic than ever that our family is going to make some wonderful memories in our RV.

cheers
Old 01-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #1215

Thumbs up Finding the American Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
It's really inspiring to have gone through this entire thread and seen the fruits of all these brave souls' labor. Great job everyone....

cheers
To me. this thread personifies the "can-do" attitude that used to be so typical of Americans and now is so hard to find in much of our population. Keep the ember glowing!
TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicPilot View Post
To me. this thread personifies the "can-do" attitude that used to be so typical of Americans and now is so hard to find in much of our population. Keep the ember glowing!

Well said Dave, well said.

It seems everyone wants it fixed "right now" and folks do not want to "repair" things like we used to. Tear the part down, find and fix the problem and replace. Now it is just take out a part, insert a new part, pay the man.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #1217

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't you find the same attitude with most mechanics these days? Their first step to repair is to throw new parts at the problem.
Congratulations to all of you on your projects. I wish I had the mental and physical dexterity to do more myself.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #1218

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
As they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention". And, as it translates to RVs, "I'm broke, therefore I fix".....or is it, "I fix, therefore I'm broke?" One of those two surely applies.