Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #1219

Fix it right now = what I call the fast food effect. We want it now or even yesterday.

As for the mechanic comment - there are "real" mechanics and then there are "parts changes" Please don't mix the two....

Tony

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #1220

Vintage RV Owners Club
Great Place to Take Your Vintage RV

For those looking for a great place to take their vintage RV's check out our recent article about the Cajun Palms RV Resort in LA. in the Feb. 2013 issue of MotorHome Magazine, you can see it on-line at MotorHome Magazine -- Motorhome Reviews - RV Camping. ile there you can also read about our 1983 Apollo Sceptre, it was featured in the June 2012 issue. Keep up the honorable work of keeping our RV heritage alive-one old RV at a time. Semper Fi, Dennis and Cheryl DeNoi

PS: the Below photos are of our 1983 Apollo Sceptre along with another Sceptre

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0393.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	32211

Name:	P2020251_0094.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	32209

Name:	downsized_0809111829-1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	32210

Old 01-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomask View Post

Well said Dave, well said.

It seems everyone wants it fixed "right now" and folks do not want to "repair" things like we used to. Tear the part down, find and fix the problem and replace. Now it is just take out a part, insert a new part, pay the man.

Don't you mean, Now it is just take it to the Dealer and say |"Something broke, let me know when it's fixed, pay the man".

I taught my Children to diagnose, fix and enjoy! Now I'm teaching my 2.5 year old Grandson. He loves telling people "Me and PaPa fix it"! He will spend hours in the shop with me when he visits, and I always find my tool box re arranged after he's gone. He loves tools. And has already figured out righty tighty, lefty loosey!
I have never had a New Car, nor have I ever taken a car I own to a Dealership to repair. Company Trucks yea, but only because my Bosses told me I couldn't fix them myself!
I've hauled transmissoins to a Transmission shop to have them go through it because I was busy, but I pulled it and reinstalled it.
I've always built my cars or trucks! Or kept them going till the wheels fall off!
Same thing with my Coach!
It's what keep me entertained!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:15 AM   #1222

Rfort, nice RV there. Could you post a link to the actual article? I've looked around on the web site, but I didn't succeed in finding it.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:21 AM   #1223

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spotted this one recently.... Parked under a tree in the corner of an old farmyard.

Too far gone to be any use to anyone. Rain pouring through the dropped ceilings... floors rotted out, rust everywhere...

Vandals had been by at some stage and bust the door open. Trashed the inside... NO old motorhome should die this way.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blag View Post
Spotted this one recently.... Parked under a tree in the corner of an old farmyard.

Too far gone to be any use to anyone. Rain pouring through the dropped ceilings... floors rotted out, rust everywhere...

Vandals had been by at some stage and bust the door open. Trashed the inside... NO old motorhome should die this way.
A very disturbing picture... it's like looking at a corpse.
TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #1225

Vintage RV Owners Club
In responce to the request for link to the Apollo Sceptre Stands the Test of Time article, go to motorhomemagazine.com and on the home page they have a search box near the top right side, type in Apollo Sceptre and it will take you right to the article. You can also google Apollo Sceptre and it should pop-up along with other info and photos of our Sceptre and a few others. Thanks and I hope you find it. Semper Fi, Dennis

PS: There are also two Youtub videos, Apollo Sceptre Part 1 and Part 2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2236.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	32251   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2240.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	32252  

Name:	100_2241.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	32253  
Old 01-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #1226

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfort View Post
Is that docking light recess something you made up yourself?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #1227

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Beautiful MH, rfort. Nothing is nicer in my opinion than an older unit that has been lovingly cared for over the years. Units in that group are getting harder and harder to come by in this disposable society we seem to live in. Kudos to you guys!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #1228

1989 Airstream Classic Motorhome 345LE

I've had this beauty for 1 1/2 years now Have camped in it a few times, but now the interior is torn apart. Honestly, I didn't buy this to 'camp' in, I bought it to retire in, and that's a LONG 8 years away. Still, being able to park it at my home (and yes, I'm within my community's codes) and get inside when I have a few extra hours during the week, means I'll be able to strike off when I please, knowing that most is repaired, or that I've got the extra parts to repair it myself, lol
Thanks, Derek
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	32359   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	32360  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	32361   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	32362  

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	32363   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	32364  

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	32365   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	32366  

Name:	20.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	32367   Click image for larger version

Name:	23.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	32368  

Old 01-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #1229

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
I've had this beauty for 1 1/2 years now Have camped in it a few times, but now the interior is torn apart. Honestly, I didn't buy this to 'camp' in, I bought it to retire in, and that's a LONG 8 years away. Still, being able to park it at my home (and yes, I'm within my community's codes) and get inside when I have a few extra hours during the week, means I'll be able to strike off when I please, knowing that most is repaired, or that I've got the extra parts to repair it myself, lol
Thanks, Derek
Looks like a great retirement rig! It really is a beauty! What are you doing to the interior? Pictures of your progress, please.
TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Thanks, Derek
Not too many of those around any more. Nice find!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #1231

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Very nice, Crazee and I 2nd the motion of more pics!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #1232

My progress

As most of you know, when you purchase a 'slightly used' RV, there's always someone else's interpretation on how it could be done better. Usually better means the cheapest, easiest way to do repair.

My first 2 photos are my own 'repair'. Pulled the guts out of ThinLites florescent fixtures in motorhome, purchased several rolls of LED's strips (15 feet long) and started the conversion. If I turned on all of my florescents, you could obviously see how much it drained off the battery when not hooked up. With the few conversions I"ve done (4 more to go) there's no drop whatsoever in battery. LOTSA light and NO heat!

Entry door at some point had interior aluminum skin removed and replaced with cheap particle board. No idea what happened to original interior door skin. Yanked the pink fiberglass insulation (most of it had sagged into door ribs) and am installing Reflectix as a replacement.

If any of you have ever been inside of an Airstream in colder weather, you'll know that these babies SWEAT from the difference between interior and exterior temps. Airstream installed kitchen decorative wood paneling on backsplash area of my motorhome. Then, someone previous owner decided to paint it white and put blue sponge paint on wall. When I tried to remove the vinyl on wood paneling, the wood crumbled from the 24 years of 'sweating'. Plans are to remove the lower kitchen cabinet completely to get all of the wood off the wall, somehow remove the vinyl that was attached to the interior aluminum wall and polish.

As well, shower pan must've leaked at some point. So, instead of repairing the pan, someone painted it with black speckled garage floor paint. And to make the shower even prettier, they painted the walls white with what appeared to be the toilet bowl brush.

Upper cabinet behind driver has some damage as well. Guessing someone used it to store something really heavy. L-shaped brackets are all that's holding it together at the moment.

Want to remove all of the carpet from drivers area all the way back to bath area and install either bamboo flooring, or wood flooring. Laminate is nice, but I've never seen any that I've liked. Hoping to do bath floor and hallway floor between toilet room and shower with some kind of tile. All depends on how much the tile will weigh before making that decision.

And least I forget, instead of repairing the exterior hose reel, someone just pitched it and rigged some sort of awful fresh water contraption at rear bumper (which leaks like a sieve) Was able to find replacement shower pan and replacement fresh water hose reel from fellow Airstream'r who's gutting same size model as I have. WHEW!

I've got plenty of time, just need to pay off the beast first, so I can get started on all of these 'upgrades' In the meantime, I've purchased a couple of polisher/buffers to polish the exterior aluminum to a mirror shine!

Thanks, Derek
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	031.jpg
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	32486   Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	32487