Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
power/ airconditioner on top

So after reading a bit about power stuff here on the threads...
I have a question. If I plug into my home power via extension cord and adapter, and the air conditioner works ok, but doesn't get really cold, like cold enough to offset Arizona daytime temps... is that because the power is a little different than plugging into a 30 amp power source...should I try it at a camp ground with a 30 amp power supply?
(I did learn not to plug it into the old dryer connection that looks like the cord! I don't think the pigtail would have been long enough to try that, so that saved my behind...without my even being aware of it! I'm not sure it occurred to me to try it, but useful info.)

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Were are you plugged in? A standard wall outlet?

Old 05-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
Were are you plugged in? A standard wall outlet?
Check your air filters, they will cut down on your efficiency if dirty
Old 05-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #4

Dometic says that the average RV AC will only cool the air 20 degrees cooler than the ambient air it is intaking. So if the temp inside the RV is 95 it is only going to blow 75 degree air. As the air inside the RV gets cooler the outlet air will also get cooler. So if you are in Phoenix or Yuma its gonna take a while to cool the thing down.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #5

I just went through mine and I noticed since I did a retrofit of a new ceiling cover, there was a large gap allowing the cold air to mix with the return air. A bit of sealing tape and it does blow colder. Mine will blow 70 when it's 95 out. I have considered a evap unit for the over bed vent, still may do that to add some cooling power when the humidity is low.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
If you are plugged in to a 15-20 amp circuit, I'd be careful to check extension cord, and outlet you are plugged into for heat. You are nearing the capacity of the circuit. (Assuming that a few lights, converter/battery charger, etc. also on.) Turn circuit breaker on/off that controls the outlet in house to be sure it is free to trip if overloaded.

More amps won't mean more cooling. Check coils for dirt, air leakage into space between headliner/roof, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #7

If it is cooling, take the roof cover off and clean the coils. Take the garden hose and blow the water from the inside towards the outside through the fins. Cleaning the fins/coils is the best way to get the efficiency back in the A/C.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-in-Mich View Post
If it is cooling, take the roof cover off and clean the coils. Take the garden hose and blow the water from the inside towards the outside through the fins. Cleaning the fins/coils is the best way to get the efficiency back in the A/C.

With this you have only cleaned the condenser coil. A bit more inportant is the evaporator coil inside the RV.

Run the unit on high fan fro 10 minutes or so and then take temperature readings across the unit. You want the the temperature at the air inlet and then the air outlet. If the outlet is 18 to 20 degF lower than the inlet, the unit is doing all it can do.

Make sure the filters and the evaporator coil is clean first.

Ken
Old 05-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-in-Mich View Post
Hey I got a story to tell about removing the AC roof cover. First when I ran the unit on hi, it vibrated a lot, so I ran it on low or medium speed. Half the screws on the cover were rusted in place. Took me about two hours to get them all out. Got my hose and and some spray cleaner and was about to clean the fins when I noticed that the four bladed plastic fan had a small chunk missing from the tip of one blade and the hub where it was on the motor shaft was cracked. Loosened the screw clamp holding it on and it slid right off and broke in two pieces, the clamp was holding the fan together. Bought a new fan on eBay for 10 bucks and it was a six bladed fan. After the cleaning, removing all the leaves and crap in there and installing the new fan plus all new SS screws, it ran quiet and smooth and was colder then ever, it just makes a lot of water condensate now.
That's my story
Old 05-31-2012, 11:05 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks fellas... My hubby is beginning to tease me about ya'll because I have prefaced too many statements with... "well, the fellas on the the iRV2 site say" ...but ya'll have been right on so far! LOL!
Old 06-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Thanks fellas... My hubby is beginning to tease me about ya'll because I have prefaced too many statements with... "well, the fellas on the the iRV2 site say" ...but ya'll have been right on so far! LOL!
We've all been there at one time or another
Old 06-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
any clues about how to get the screws to stay stuck in there? toothpicks? they seem to want to fall out onto the floor of the motor home... well, several places are getting like that.... not just the A/C cover. Old is ...well...old. LOL!

Tags
power