Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #1

power converter hot and humming

Greetings, the TU-740-2 converter charger in my 1986 HR Imperial is humming and giving of a pretty good amount of heat. I have had this RV for a little over a year now.Only been moved to new locations 3 times.I have been in this spot for about 10 months now. When I first got her, it was humming and hot. Over the summer I did not really notice the humming or the heat. Now that it is getting cooler(low 80's here in west TX) the symptoms are back. It does not seem to be any worse than I remember. I read a few post saying these old converters were prone to humming,but nothing was really said about the heat radiating off of it. The converter is located under a set of drawers in a closet and you can feel the heat when you open the closet door. Should I be worried? What would a good upgrade be for it? (sorry about the pic. I don't know how to rotate it.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150522_234521.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	109848  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 04:40 PM   #2

They should put out some heat but not so much you can't touch it. There should also be some ventilation . One thing that will make them run hotter is if it is under heavy load. Are you running more lights or using other 12 volt devices that draw a lot of current ? Do you have or can you put a amp meter in line and measure the total amp draw and compare that to the size of your converter?
ijds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #3
Community Moderator

If you decide to replace it, this is a good model. They also make smaller 50 and 60 amp versions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1445211191.647610.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	109864
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have an old fashioned magnetec that says that this is pretty much normal behavior in the "manual" that came with it (single slip of paper really). I want to eventually move to an intelligent charge controller of some sort but right now with winter coming on and my electrical and holding tanks in the same bay I figure the extra heat may actually be a blessing. (still plan to put a 75 watt bulb in there for extra heat)

Basically the really old converters are Just one giant transformer + heat sink and maybe a thermal cut out and voltage regulator and any decent sized transformer will hum.
wschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:49 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Normal, mine hummms and gets warm, mine has a built in fan thay kicks in when it get too hot
Old 10-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #6

It might be that it's trying to charge some junk batteries? It's set up to relax when the batteries get up to about 13.5 volts. If they're junk, they may not be capable of charging to that level. For the time and trouble it may cost you, it might be worth the trouble to disconnec your batteries to see if that makes a difference.

Tags
power, converter