Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:25 PM   #1

Power upgrades

I am wondering what some of you have done for performance/power on the carbureted 454 Chevy's? I think mine has a staggering 230 hp, which for a big block is pathetic, and am concerned about the pulling power when we get to that. I will be putting a set of headers on in the near future and, going to single 3" exhaust out the drives side in front of the back tires but, not sure how that should look, as far as the 2 into 1

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2016, 10:28 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Deano56,
On my 88 454, I put on an MSD Blaster ignition modual and a Blaster coil. A set of ceramic booted spark plug wires, K&N air filter and raised the base of the air cleaner housing an 1" to an 1 1/2"( I forget which)as high as the dog house will allow. This will increase both your power and fuel mileage. I would go with dual exhaust with high flow mufflers and a crossover tube along with the headers. Try to bring cool air from in front of the radiator into the air cleaner also. The changes I made gained me between 1 and 1 1/2 MPG while pulling a 2200# trailer with a midsized car on it and 5 mph on the hills on I77 down in WVa, without the headers.
If you want to know more give me a shout.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Deano56,
On my 88 454, I put on an MSD Blaster ignition modual and a Blaster coil. A set of ceramic booted spark plug wires, K&N air filter and raised the base of the air cleaner housing an 1" to an 1 1/2"( I forget which)as high as the dog house will allow. This will increase both your power and fuel mileage. I would go with dual exhaust with high flow mufflers and a crossover tube along with the headers. Try to bring cool air from in front of the radiator into the air cleaner also. The changes I made gained me between 1 and 1 1/2 MPG while pulling a 2200# trailer with a midsized car on it and 5 mph on the hills on I77 down in WVa, without the headers.
If you want to know more give me a shout.
Frank
the K&N air filter was a standard sized one that fit into the stock housing, and why did you raise it up? Getting cool air by running a hose up font will be challenging but, I've seen some do it on here. Did you do any curving on the distributor? I also read on here that it will help on pulling power as well as fuel mileage. And then there's the twin air pumps
Old 05-08-2016, 07:58 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I used the filter that fit into the housing. Left the air pumps on, just because I didn't want to fool with it, but it will help to remove, especially if you put on headers, 1 less thing to mess with. You raise the aircleaner to smooth out the airflow into the carb, it seems to help.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, upgrade