Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #15

F/U

Just got the RV back from the mechanics. Changed out the fan belts, one was very bad.
All hoses looked good, brakes tires transmission fluid, all good.
Still very expensive to have the belts changed but better than me doing it!
I decided it might be best not to pull anything, will just rent a vehicle when we get to our destinations!
Thanks for all of you input!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #16

Update to vacation trip is now home. The trip went great (around a 900 miles) only two problems. One was the mechanic that prepared it for the trip did not put brake fluid in the master cylinder. The front must have a slow leak, I thought the brake pedal was low when I left, got to St. Augustine and it was about to hit the floor! I topped it up and pumped the brake some and it has been fine.
Next, about 2 hours from home (driving 60 to 65 MPH) the right rear tire shredded the tread. We smelled rubber for a little while, about the time I started slowing down it blew. Good location to stop. Road side assist took 1 and 1/2 hours to get there, very nice fellow and I gave him a nice tip.
My spare was only 19 years old and looks like new ! The tire that blew was only 10 years old!
The mechanic that checked everything for me put a lot more pressure in them than I usually run. He put 110 Lbs cold. I reduced it to 103 lbs after arriving into FL.
I usually run 93 lbs. The tires state 120 max cold.
I could have changed the tire myself if I had carried a tire lug wrench by using my hydraulic levelers.
All in all a very nice trip and the new cruise control worked like it should, saving me !

Old 08-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennj3cub View Post
Update to vacation trip is now home. The trip went great (around a 900 miles) only two problems. One was the mechanic that prepared it for the trip did not put brake fluid in the master cylinder. The front must have a slow leak, I thought the brake pedal was low when I left, got to St. Augustine and it was about to hit the floor! I topped it up and pumped the brake some and it has been fine.
Next, about 2 hours from home (driving 60 to 65 MPH) the right rear tire shredded the tread. We smelled rubber for a little while, about the time I started slowing down it blew. Good location to stop. Road side assist took 1 and 1/2 hours to get there, very nice fellow and I gave him a nice tip.
My spare was only 19 years old and looks like new ! The tire that blew was only 10 years old!
The mechanic that checked everything for me put a lot more pressure in them than I usually run. He put 110 Lbs cold. I reduced it to 103 lbs after arriving into FL.
I usually run 93 lbs. The tires state 120 max cold.
I could have changed the tire myself if I had carried a tire lug wrench by using my hydraulic levelers.
All in all a very nice trip and the new cruise control worked like it should, saving me !
yes, it is called dry rot. We see it here in AZ after 4 years. best replace your installed spare at the least. You are on borrowed time on the rest of them who knows how long they will last.

When preparing for a trip to test the engine take a dollar bill and wad it up then stick it in the tail pipe, one each pipe if it has duals. start the engine, If they blow out then you know you should fill up one of the drawers inside the coach with cash for repairs on your trip!
Old 08-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #18

As much as I don't want to, I will start looking for tires to replace all and use one for my next spare.
I don't even know if the tires on it are the ones prescribed?
I would sure hate to replace all those every 4 years!
Old 08-14-2016, 02:29 PM   #19

I'm confused here about the tire pressure. I had a class A just like yours a few years ago and while in Socal visiting my son he asked about how much pressure I ran in the tires. I had around 65 pounds cold and everything was fine. He thought 80 would be better so I tried 80. We were from Or. and half way through our trip and going home. After an hour on the highway and going bumpity bump for 100 miles I thought everything inside was going to fall apart from thr rough ride I stopped and checked the pressure and it went up to over 100 pounds because of the heat. I lowered the pressure and went on my way with no problems. I think that if I had 100 pounds to start with I could have blown a tire after the heat boosted it up. I may be wrong but that kind of pressure seems excessive. I have never had a more uncomfortable ride than that with high pressures.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #20

Biker Art,

Tires are rated for certain loads at certain pressures. What's on the sidewall is merely the max load carrying capacity, which always occurs at the max pressure rating of the tire.

The pressure will indeed rise as the tires get hotter. This is actually a good thing... as the rubber gets hotter, it also gets softer, so additional air pressure from the heat keeps them stiff and maintains their load carrying capacity. All tire pressure specs are "cold inflation." Your RV should have a tag somewhere that tells you what size tires and how much to inflate them based on vehicle weight. That said... these tags are sometimes bogus... ask me how I know...

For example... on our motorhome, the rear axles sees weight in excess of 13,500lbs. In order to carry that, we have to have the duals inflated to their max rating of 95 psi. When the tires are hot after traveling, the pressure goes up above 110 psi. This is normal.

Under inflated tires will not likely last as long... they will wear on the outside edges, not to mention they will generate more heat when driving because of the bulging, and stress the steel belts, etc.

-cheers
Old 08-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE=glennj3cub;3207113]As much as I don't want to, I will start looking for tires to replace all and use one for my next spare.
I don't even know if the tires on it are the ones prescribed?
I would sure hate to replace all those every 4 years![/QUOTE

I'm certainly no tire expert, but I found out after our rear blowout, that our tires had been replaced (by the dealer) with metric sizes. It seems that there wasn't the same amount of space between the duals and under load or prolonged bumpy roads, those tires can contact each other leading to failure. As you know, parts of I-95 in SC can be brutal.

Stick with what the chassis manufacturer recommends. I found the best deal at a truck shop that was experienced with 19.5 tires. I've been happy with Sumitomo.

Glad to hear the rest of your trip went well.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:23 PM   #22

Unless you are certain the tires are indeed the exact size speced for the RV based on the label in/on the RV go by what the sidewall on the tire recommends. Many times the tires are replaced with different sized tires than what was on the label in the RV therefore the psi recommendation will also differ sometimes by as much as 15+psi.