Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #1

Preparing for the Storm

Yesterday I figured I better fire up the protable generator, just in case, It would not start, some trouble shooting discovered the shutoff valve was gummed up with varnish from sitting since last hurricane season, cleaned thatb up and it is running fine.
My neighbor came over and we decided to start his gen up, same issue would not start, after a lot of trouble shooting it turned out to be the carb float valve and bowl was all gummed up with vannish, got that fixed and it was running
My sister in law said she could not start her gen, we tore it apart and it was the worst of all, the carb bowl was full of varnish as was the float valve but the biggest issue was the main jet, it was completly plugged with varnish. after a lot of cleaning we got that one going
All three sat with gas in them from last season, just goes to show you what this crappy gas we have now a days does to motors,

So this morning I started the RV gen, I run that about once every few months for a few minutes, well today it did not run smooth and it was pumping out little puffs of black smoke every now and then. Last year I did a complete service on it, new eveything and it ran and looked good. Today I noticed that two of the little rubber fuel lines leading to and from the
fuel pump to the carb were badly deteriorated on the exterior, see pictures.
I can only imagine what has passed thru and into the carb, gonna change them and pull the fuel bowl to see whats going on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV fuel lines and Breakers 001.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	25233   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV fuel lines and Breakers 002.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	25234  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
Yesterday I figured I better fire up the protable generator, just in case, It would not start, some trouble shooting discovered the shutoff valve was gummed up with varnish from sitting since last hurricane season, cleaned thatb up and it is running fine.
My neighbor came over and we decided to start his gen up, same issue would not start, after a lot of trouble shooting it turned out to be the carb float valve and bowl was all gummed up with vannish, got that fixed and it was running
My sister in law said she could not start her gen, we tore it apart and it was the worst of all, the carb bowl was full of varnish as was the float valve but the biggest issue was the main jet, it was completly plugged with varnish. after a lot of cleaning we got that one going
All three sat with gas in them from last season, just goes to show you what this crappy gas we have now a days does to motors,

So this morning I started the RV gen, I run that about once every few months for a few minutes, well today it did not run smooth and it was pumping out little puffs of black smoke every now and then. Last year I did a complete service on it, new eveything and it ran and looked good. Today I noticed that two of the little rubber fuel lines leading to and from the
fuel pump to the carb were badly deteriorated on the exterior, see pictures.
I can only imagine what has passed thru and into the carb, gonna change them and pull the fuel bowl to see whats going on
In all of my gas engine equipment I put in this mix with every fill up: a few drops of Marvel Mystery oil, a few drops of Gum Out, a few drops of Stabile, and then fill the tank. Works great and have never had an issue with engines that have sat for a while starting right up and running perfect. I read about it somewhere (sorry can't remember where) a lot of years ago when I was having a starting issue with a push mower and have been doing it ever since then. No more problems.
Todd

Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #3

Wow, some fuel lines! I've given up outboards and power mowers because of this crappy gas.
My generator had been acting like the mounts were broken, so I pulled the whole business out of my MH. Some task to do by yourself, on a hill, in the dirt. As I was trying to move this really heavy unit, I noticed some pink insulation inside the generator. I started fishing-out pieces with forceps and my shop vac. I pulled out the equivalent of a bowling ball of insulation! I still have to turn it over and examine the mounts.
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #4

Every 20 or 30 years it's good idea to service/PM these things , meanwhile I run my gennys once a month and store with some Sea Foam in the gas.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With Generators:

Run 1/2 hour (Or more) under 1/2 (or more) at least once a month (or more).

If that is the ONLY time you are running it on portable generators add Sta-Bil or Seafoam to the fual. On a motor home if you drive often (Full time) forget this, but when parked for the off-season, Sta-Bil there too.

Now be a good boy and write this 100 times

1/2 hour under 1/2 load every month.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
Wow, some fuel lines! I've given up outboards and power mowers because of this crappy gas.
My generator had been acting like the mounts were broken, so I pulled the whole business out of my MH. Some task to do by yourself, on a hill, in the dirt. As I was trying to move this really heavy unit, I noticed some pink insulation inside the generator. I started fishing-out pieces with forceps and my shop vac. I pulled out the equivalent of a bowling ball of insulation! I still have to turn it over and examine the mounts.
Both of those fuel line broke open when I tried to remove them, I actually pulled them in half to get em out of there. The lines are now replaced and the motor runs a little funky, not smooth, but not rough either, just not the way it should, guess I am gonna have to pull the carb apart to see what fuel line pieces got in there
Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
With Generators:

Run 1/2 hour (Or more) under 1/2 (or more) at least once a month (or more).

If that is the ONLY time you are running it on portable generators add Sta-Bil or Seafoam to the fual. On a motor home if you drive often (Full time) forget this, but when parked for the off-season, Sta-Bil there too.

Now be a good boy and write this 100 times

I run the gen with one ac on every month or so yesterday in prep for the coming storm I fired it up and turned on both ac's, it ran ok for a while then it started to struggle and surge a little and kept popping one of those line fuses
Old 08-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Every 20 or 30 years it's good idea to service/PM these things , meanwhile I run my gennys once a month and store with some Sea Foam in the gas.
Here is the new lines installed and one of the old lines as they came apart while removing them
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New RV Fuel Lines 001.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	25236   Click image for larger version

Name:	New RV Fuel Lines 002.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	25237  

Name:	New RV Fuel Lines 003.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	25238  
Old 08-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the post Bilito. What year is your RV? I assume these are the original fuel lines.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Thanks for the post Bilito. What year is your RV? I assume these are the original fuel lines.
It's a 91 Silver eagle and I guess those probably are the original fuel lines, I will let know if I find anything in the carb. The manual says if it is running a a little rough the auto choke may be sticking
Old 08-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
It's a 91 Silver eagle and I guess those probably are the original fuel lines, I will let know if I find anything in the carb. The manual says if it is running a a little rough the auto choke may be sticking
Waddayaknow, the choke was sticking at half closed, got it running now with the choke wide open, smooth, no puffs of black smoke and I have both ac units running on it. Gonna let it run for 30 min or so just to be sure
Old 08-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Just left reading my sailing forum. Preparing for the storm has a whole other meaning over there. Sailors are moving their boats to protected waters, removing exposed gear and doubling up mooring lines. I enjoy both my RV and my sailboat. Each require preparation for the coming storm.

Everyone, tie everything down and be safe.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPSDX View Post
Just left reading my sailing forum. Preparing for the storm has a whole other meaning over there. Sailors are moving their boats to protected waters, removing exposed gear and doubling up mooring lines. I enjoy both my RV and my sailboat. Each require preparation for the coming storm.

Everyone, tie everything down and be safe.
More prep stuff
I got one of those cheapo harbor freight chain saw sharpeners, once you learn how to use it, you can get the blades killer sharp, I like it
I have two saws one is a pole saw and spare chain for each, I am sharpening them all just In case something of mine falls or a neighbor needs help, be prepared
Old 08-24-2012, 11:31 PM   #14

Carolina Campers
Hope no one has any problems from yhe coming storm, but glad you are prepared. I saw a convoy of about 20 utility trucks from Ohio pulling into our local Holiday Inn tonight. Guess they are on their way down to FL.

rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote