Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #29
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Joke: Get a nice warm spouse to cuddle as well. Best way to keep warm.
Yeah, all that fighting is a great way to exercise and keep warm _all_ _night_ _long_.

ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #30
I wish the hot woman could be with me but she has to stay home and work her job and stay around for my son that still lives home. Great idea!

glennj3cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #31
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
A question no one has asked is the design of your rig. Is it a basement model, or equivalent, with enclosed water and waste tanks and water pipes?. Many older Motorhomes just hung these components underneath where they were exposed to the elements. If this is your situation, you need to winterize. If not, then be sure the plumbing bays stay sufficiently warm. Some people put incandescent light bulbs or other heaters in the bays and also use wireless thermometers to monitor the temperatures.
I highly doubt that 87 has a basement with the tanks nicely tuck up in there. Mine has a heat duct where the water hookup is and the black and grey tanks have heating pads up on the bottoms of them. Never tried to see if they work
1989 Champion LaSalle 34' 454 ci always doing something to it
Deano56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #32
Do you winterize the waste holding tanks? They do hang below but are covered with insulation of some sort, like black tar.
My pipes are all inside running inside of cabinet spaces etc. The water heater is close to the outside of course but it is located beneath a seat at the dining table.
I open most all of the cabinet doors, access door to the fresh water holding tank and run an electric heater near the center of the RV. This is when it is in my yard waiting to go.
While boon docking, the temps will not be freezing during the day light hours.
Looks like I will need to run the generator a lot in order to keep the batteries up and keep me warm.
The roof ac unit has a heat strip in it but does not put out enough heat to bother to use on cold nights. I did not get directions on how to use the heat, I assume put on low fan and turn the thermostat to warm??

glennj3cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #33
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
I highly doubt that 87 has a basement with the tanks nicely tuck up in there. Mine has a heat duct where the water hookup is and the black and grey tanks have heating pads up on the bottoms of them. Never tried to see if they work
I dunno. I have an 88 Fleetwood Southwind with a full basement. Water compartment has a heat duct from furnace, and bulbs, but not separate heat built in.

Plumbing is under the cabinets, not inside them, and while all RVs are different, so are all RVers.

I am pretty comfortable in the 50s inside in the winter, but when not winterized, I do not set the furnace below 50 to 55. 60s are more comfortable, and when my family is with me, I would go to at least the mid 60s at night.

The risk of freezing, the decision of temperature comfort or fuel cost discomfort are very personal decisions that most have to make for themselves.

While the OP was asking for suggestions, I believe there are no single correct answers here. Ultimately, we all have to draw our own thresholds for cost vs comfort levels.

Good luck all. Have fun. Stay warm enough to be happy.

Karl I. Sagal KarlSagal@Gmail.com
Well done is better than well said. (Ben Franklin)
1988 Fleetwood Southwind, 34'
KSagal is online now   Reply With Quote