Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73DodgeTitan View Post
VERY helpful links Dave. THANK YOU.
I appreciate the insight into the wheels too. Last weekend we tried bolting up a set of 16's. The front went on fine but the backs wouldnt fit... back to the 17.5's it is!
The front is where you would have a problem with the 16's not fitting over the disk brake caliper's not on the rear. The rear wheels might not have the center holes large enough to fit over the axle, but you can make the center hole in the wheel larger.

I am watching this thread since I have the same RM350 chassis in my '73 Winnebago. The same green shag carpet too.

As far as the roof coating I used the Ames Snow Roof on my new roof. So far no problems. Great stuff.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Indian View Post
The front is where you would have a problem with the 16's not fitting over the disk brake caliper's not on the rear. The rear wheels might not have the center holes large enough to fit over the axle, but you can make the center hole in the wheel larger.

Appreciate it! the fronts bolted up w/o any problem, but we'll have to take a closer look to make sure there isnt a problem or anything rubbing. Since the boosters needed attention, we didnt try moving it. but, we'll take a closer look to be sure.

we stopped with the the rear - when we tried putting them on, the center hole was a tad too small. I wasnt sure if we could make that larger or not... if that would mess up a balance or something. what kind of tool would you recommend for making that larger?

Old 04-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73DodgeTitan View Post
Appreciate it! the fronts bolted up w/o any problem, but we'll have to take a closer look to make sure there isnt a problem or anything rubbing. Since the boosters needed attention, we didnt try moving it. but, we'll take a closer look to be sure.

we stopped with the the rear - when we tried putting them on, the center hole was a tad too small. I wasnt sure if we could make that larger or not... if that would mess up a balance or something. what kind of tool would you recommend for making that larger?
I would use a die grinder with a rotary file in it.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #18
RNW

Vintage RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I have 17.5 inch rims, that are split ring and I thought it was better to put on 19.5 inch solid rims?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW View Post
I have 17.5 inch rims, that are split ring and I thought it was better to put on 19.5 inch solid rims?
If I change wheels I would go to the 19.5" because it would change the gearing to give me lower RPM's and there are more 19.5" tires to choose from, and 16" won't fit over my disk brake calipers.
I thought all the 17.5" wheels were one piece? I have seen 17" split rims but never 17.5" Are you sure you have 17.5" ?
Old 05-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #20
RNW

Vintage RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Got mixed up my mistake they are 17'' split rims. I am looking to buy used 19'' 5 lug rims.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #21

Quote:
If I change wheels I would go to the 19.5" because it would change the gearing to give me lower RPM's and there are more 19.5" tires to choose from, and 16" won't fit over my disk brake calipers.
I thought all the 17.5" wheels were one piece? I have seen 17" split rims but never 17.5" Are you sure you have 17.5" ?
73indian.. the 19.5" - any idea where can i find them? is there a certain year/model vehicle the come off that will fit mine/yours? I have to drop some coin into new tires and need to research all this out. you are a huge help!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Well, Rickson and Alcoa both make them, but the trick is going to be finding used ones. You may want to budget around $5000 for the tires and rims.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #23
RNW

Vintage RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I am going to look at some salvage yards here in Ohio and hope I find 19.5'' 5 lug rims.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oh yea that Redneck guy has plenty of money to buy new 19.5" wheels (just kidding Matt). For my chassis, I have the 8 lug wheels, they are found on step vans but I have been told it is hard to find a complete set (7 of them) that are straight. Seems like they do bend when you hit a curb. So for you I do not know that any special year or chassis has the wheels for you, sorry.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:30 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Oh yea that Redneck guy has plenty of money to buy new 19.5" wheels (just kidding Matt). For my chassis, I have the 8 lug wheels, they are found on step vans but I have been told it is hard to find a complete set (7 of them) that are straight. Seems like they do bend when you hit a curb. So for you I do not know that any special year or chassis has the wheels for you, sorry.
Aye, I doubt he'd have the cash, but the 19.5" rims are really popular amongst the 1-ton single-rear-wheel truck crowd that ended up buying way too much camper for a stock single rear tired truck.

They just end up forking out a sizable amount of cash for the rims and wheels, around $3000 just for 4 wheels and the Load Range H tires.

Me, I nearly pass out when I get quotes for the four 235/85/16 Load range E tires I need to put on rear of my truck (New axle is under the truck, just need to finish bolting it back together and get new U-bolts to hold it in place (Stock ones were too short).
Old 02-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #26

Hi everyone, Its been a while since i gave an update on my project. The Titan is back on the pavement! I was able to find a complete set off ebay (even the spare) that have good tread. Much better than the cracked dryrotted ones that were probably originals. My ebay find seems to have a flat spot, given the thumping, but I'm hoping that works out or I'll replace the front tires.

We had to replace the hydrovac brake boosters, batteries, fuel line from the tank to the generator and some new plugs. It still needs lots of cleanup and TLC - but made a 45 minute drive with stop and go and highway miles.. w/o any problems!

The backyard was so wet, we had to use a truck to winch it out. Then we had to cut back a few branches to make room - and finally.. is a picture of the beast on the road!

We will be putting a fresh coat of Ames maximum stretch to the roof in the coming weeks and are going to flush all the fluids etc. HOpefully I'll have more updates and pictures very soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorhome.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	18069   Click image for larger version

Name:	clearing trees.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	18070  

Click image for larger version

Name:	motorhome on the highway.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	18071  
Old 02-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hey, I found yer door mat . Think I may order myself one .

Googe Shopping Results for - Keep on Camping door mat
Old 02-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, that looks like quite the project but I'm sure you'll conquer it. Make sure to keep us posted on the progress.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote