Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #1

Project underway! 1978 Avion MH22

Purchased this cute little guy last summer, and have been working on it over the winter with extensive upgrade plans. Now that the project is picking up steam, it's time to blog about it! I've gotten lots of great advice from the folks at iRV2, and you'll probably be hearing more from me when I get in over my head in 3...2...1...

Project Terranova, part 1 | Fuel Infection

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2014, 04:05 AM   #2

Great looking project!!! I could not help wondering if you could extend the frame on the newer van and "move" the Avion to the newer frame. You would then get the only four door "C" I'v ever seen!!! and great for the family!!!

stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Boy I haven't seen one of those in years. Happy you saved her and are going to bring her back to life. How is the interior? We have the Carburetor 454. in our 82 PA. I am from those years... I know nothing about fuel injection (as far as repairs) Good report, Thanks for sharing.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Boy I haven't seen one of those in years. Happy you saved her and are going to bring her back to life. How is the interior? We have the Carburetor 454. in our 82 PA. I am from those years... I know nothing about fuel injection (as far as repairs) Good report, Thanks for sharing.
Tim
Same here as far not seeing one of these in years, My beast is one of the last of the carbureted 454's. It's easier to trouble shoot a carb than fuel injection. I'd like to see the beast do a little drifting.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
Great looking project!!! I could not help wondering if you could extend the frame on the newer van and "move" the Avion to the newer frame. You would then get the only four door "C" I'v ever seen!!! and great for the family!!!
The idea did cross my mind, but I lack the facilities to lift the house off of the original chassis, and don't know how I'd go about extending the frame safely or getting a longer driveshaft. Sadly I think it would be way more $$$ than I've got!

There was a company a few years ago that did a crew-cab C on a Ford Super Duty chassis. It was AWD as well. Pretty cool vehicle.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Tim
Tim, the interior looked nice at first blush but was pretty much destroyed, thanks to a leaky hot water heater that went un-repaired for 5+ years. Mildew had taken over. :( Details on that in the next installment!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #7

It's here in Michigan now? Maybe I'll see it around sometime? Maybe at a racetrack? Isn't that COTA at your website?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
It's here in Michigan now? Maybe I'll see it around sometime? Maybe at a racetrack? Isn't that COTA at your website?
I live just outside of Detroit, so that's where the rig is. Hopefully you'll see it on a shakedown run soon!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyJ View Post
I live just outside of Detroit, so that's where the rig is. Hopefully you'll see it on a shakedown run soon!
If you need a guy to work on that Q-jet I know one in Livingston county.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #10

Find a way to extend the frame and create a 4 door Terranova.

There are lots of good welders who will help you make this happen.
Alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #11

Initial cleanup begins!

http://www.fuel-infection.com/2014/0...t-1-purgation/
Old 04-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like a great project and it's great to see some of the older units coming back alive. We're from Trenton so maybe I'll see her on the road. Good luck and have fun.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote