Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:37 PM   #1

Propane camper light

My wife and I just purchased our first pick up camper, just too much work for us anymore to do the tent camping thing. Its a 1966 Holiday and actually in fair shape, previous owner did some dry rot repair I just need to correct some of his errors and we`ll be cleaning it up and enjoying it.
Just got a question on this propane light inside, how the heck does this thing work? it has this hole through the arm so how does the propane get to the mantle?Thank you
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0114.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	91499Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0115.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	91504

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 07:39 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday1966 View Post
My wife and I just purchased our first pick up camper, just too much work for us anymore to do the tent camping thing. Its a 1966 Holiday and actually in fair shape, previous owner did some dry rot repair I just need to correct some of his errors and we`ll be cleaning it up and enjoying it.
Just got a question on this propane light inside, how the heck does this thing work? it has this hole through the arm so how does the propane get to the mantle?Thank you
Attachment 91499Attachment 91504
Holiday,

It's kind of hard to tell on this crappy tablet but that looks like the part (shutter?) that mixes gas and air. Your LP stove should a similar looking thing for each burner.

Sunarc and Midstate still make gas lamps with the exposed remote mixer.

If you do any cooler weather camping you'll love it. I've read they're about 5000 btu but not everything you read on the internet is true. They take they chill off nicely and save your batteries. A tiny computer fan helps move the warmth.

I'm sure others will chime in to say using this will kill you or was that make you go blind and grow hair on your palms? I don't know. I just use reasonable caution whenever I use propane and I'm still alive.

Enjoy your new camper.

mangy dog

Old 04-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangy dog View Post
If you do any cooler weather camping you'll love it. I've read they're about 5000 btu but not everything you read on the internet is true. They take they chill off nicely and save your batteries. A tiny computer fan helps move the warmth.
That's awesome. I wish I had considered that before selling the old one I had in my parts box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangy dog View Post
I'm sure others will chime in to say using this will kill you or was that make you go blind and grow hair on your palms?
Old 04-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #4

I believe the gas goes thru the arm, as you suspected, but that hole you mentioned will also allow some air in as well. That is how you get the right mixture of propane to oxygen.

You might check with some folks who are more familiar with that type of lamp, but I recall you start with it almost closed, but not quite, and then open it a fraction at a time till you get the right burn.

BUT DO NOT do this on my advice alone. Get better advice, as I have not done this for a long time, and there may be a better or more specific procedure for that lamp. This is a flammable gas after all, and there is no value in getting yourself too deep.

As with most things, knowledge is power. Research from more than one source, and you will be fine.

Have fun.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #5

The lever on the base where mounted to the wall is the gas valve make sure it has a complete mantel on the holder. you can use coleman lantern mantles there should be a cermiac part that the mantles tie to light with match and adjust air mixture till you get a bright light flame. If you install a new mantel burn the mantle after installing before you turn on the gas. my dad had one of these lights in our camper years ago and they work good and they give off lots of heat. Make sure you have a window open to vent fumes and co2 once you have it set to burn bright it does not have to be adjusted again.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:16 AM   #6

Thank you for your replies,Iam taking it in to a local RV center to test the propane system for any leaks and will ask them also. Again Thank you all.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:41 AM   #7

Holiday,

It is just like the stove burners.
You see the valve at the wall, the jet is right in the wall fixture. When the gas is flowing, it grabs some air on the way through and mixes with it so it can burn in the mantle.

This is the only kind of light that uses less battery than LED.

Matt
Old 04-18-2015, 08:03 AM   #8

We had one in our 1964 Airstream. Loved it. Nice on a cool evening. Good light, but not bright. NO electricity used.

Use like a Coleman lantern. Turn on the gas, use a match to light it.

You can use a Coleman lantern mantel, but we found out that EVERY time we moved, they would break, as they are only ash after being used once. There are heavier mantles that can be bought to put on there. They will survive moving, most of the time.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:47 AM   #9

Yes, got it going thanks. Your right mpierce not bright but does the job.
I been looking into getting LED lights for inside also MattC since we dont have a generator on board.

Tags
light, propane