Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
propane system question

So it appears that obviously once upon a time this trailer was set up to run at least some things on propane but as of right now there is no tank and I see no lines. Where should I start to look to see if ALL of it was ripped out or if I just need a tank, a regulator and a hose of some sort?

New2Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most trailers you will find the lines at the tong area where the bottles usually sit.

Does it have a RV refrigerator in it that has a gas setting?
Or is it a household one with a compressor?
Or maybe just a Ice Box in it.

Does it have a cook stove and maybe a oven that are gas powered?
Is their a furnace in it that is gas powered?

Does it have a 12V system for lights etc in it?

If yes to any of the above then their should be some gas lines on it.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #3

I'd suggest you add the brand & age of your ulnit - maybe someone has a similar unit. As to the question - are there gas burners on the stove - if so then yes it had propane or CNG. Most trailers have propane tanks on the hitch or in a compartment near the front and perhaps there is a propane line in that area.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oops. Sorry about that. I'm really new around here and new to this entire endeavor. It's a 10' 1968 Kit. Guy I got it from had started redoing a bunch of stuff and he had rewired all the electricity. It used to have the oven/stove because I can see in the countertop where it used to be built in (under where the fridge sits now) but right now it only has a small electric fridge, an electric microwave and a toaster oven.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
It has the empty place to hold the tank right in front so I know it should be able to be set back up. It's just finding out if all the lines were ripped out or if they were just capped off somehow. It has no furnace or heater. It has an electric window unit airconditioner in the rear window. I would really love to be able to run things off of propane because there will be times when I will be taking it to places with NO electricity. While I will still be happy with it as a glorified tent, it would be so much nicer if I could have more functioning creature comforts.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Vintage View Post
It has the empty place to hold the tank right in front so I know it should be able to be set back up. It's just finding out if all the lines were ripped out or if they were just capped off somehow. It has no furnace or heater. It has an electric window unit airconditioner in the rear window. I would really love to be able to run things off of propane because there will be times when I will be taking it to places with NO electricity. While I will still be happy with it as a glorified tent, it would be so much nicer if I could have more functioning creature comforts.
Hi, Sounds like the previous owner changed it to all electric, What is it you wish to add? Yes, you can add LP if you want.
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I would like the option to run temperature control (A/C and heater) off electric OR propane along with getting a fridge that would do the same. I'm not so much concerned with cooking because we mostly use fire or Coleman stoves for that.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Vintage View Post
I would like the option to run temperature control (A/C and heater) off electric OR propane along with getting a fridge that would do the same. I'm not so much concerned with cooking because we mostly use fire or Coleman stoves for that.
Hey Maggie,
Well you don't have much room in a 10' space, find a small used fridge thats lp/electric and a vented heater that will fit ,you can find a wall mount,or find an ac/heat strip unit roof mount or window unit if you want.
For the LP stuff you will need a tank or two, a regulator and hose almost like hooking up a gas grille,find what will fit and someone here will help.
Hope this helps
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
It does help. Thanks Richard. I will have to research which way to go on A/C heater choice to see which kind is less expensive or works best etc. Anybody able to give me acceptable new and used price ranges on these items? And or the lp/electric fridge? Don't need to get taken for a ride just because I don't know what I'm doing. Hahaha!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just to make clear; air conditioning does NOT run on propane. 115 volt AC only, so you can't run the air conditioning while boondocking (unless you have a fair sized generator). 12 volt fans are your option; Fantastic Fans Endless Breeze is the best, but there are cheaper ones that work ok.

For heating, a portable blue flame or catalytic heater is probably your best choice in a small trailer, like the Mr. Heater. Many folks use the Olympian Wave series cat heaters, but that might be too much for your square footage. All heaters need fresh air, so you must leave a vent or window cracked open while using one.

Propane refrigerators are EXPENSIVE. I would look for a lightly used one on ebay or Craigslist. Same for your range/oven. Good appliances are out there if you look. We bought our 22" Wedgewood Vision range for $85 on ebay last year, brand new (with a tiny chip in the porcelain cover).

Good luck on your rehab!

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
A lot of RV's that vintage don't have a strong enough roof to hold a 80-90 lb A/C.
I had a early 70's 22' TT that didn't.
I ended up putting a house window A/C in it.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane