Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well there is a 2nd option.. You can get a couple of 30 pound luggable bottles.. This is the type of bottle used on Trailers.. You might even go with 50's. depending on how strong you are.

Then you can install the modern version of the old Extend-a-Stay
The Extend-a-stay waS made by Marshall Brass, they discontinued it appears it allows you to run a portable Grill off your motor home tank -OR- Run the motor home's propane system off tanks designed for portable grills.

Use the portables.. Your tank plus a 30 pounder or two and you have your 100 pound minimum for delivery,, or you can lug the empty 30 to the dealer for re-fill. Your choice.

In fact.. This is how my RV is plumbed propane wise.

Oh, If you go to an older RV store accessorsies man and ask for the Extend-a-stay he will understand

Modern wet behind the ears kids my need to hear "Stay-a-while" as I think that is the new name.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club

Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
Old 08-08-2015, 06:45 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The first part of the video link is about having the propane pumped in from a truck to fill the mounted tank. Then she goes on to hooking up a small external tank, to use instead of the mounted tank.

Every bulk tank setup that fills RV tanks has a pump to move the liquid gas.
I have a friend who owns a propane co.... Ill get him to set up what I need to make it work.. pump hoses exc
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #19

I have a related question. I recently got a MH (88 Fleetwood Southwind) that has a device in the line between on board tank, and regulator.

This device appears to be a simple 'tee'. When I purchased, it had a hose attached to the tee, and was using a simple 20 pound tank sitting on the ground near the MH, the small tank being a BBQ style tank.

Now, I do not have any sort of valve or divert. To move the MH, I disconnected the hose, and used the brass cap to seal off the 'tee'. I have used that set up one other time, where I turned off the MH tank, removed the cap, installed the hose, and then attached the hose to the bbq tank. I then fired up my water heater and stove to assure all was working well.

My question is, do I need to keep removing that hose? It has a simple screw on fitting that goes to the bbq tank. Is this hose self sealing when not attached to a tank? I was not sure, so I removed it and use the cap on the fitting.

I think it would be very nice to keep the hose attached, if I were sure I would not leak propane.

I guess I could look into a screw on valve to take the place of the bbq tank, at that end, but I am looking to keep the system intact, and just add the small tank when I want to...

Any ideas?
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #20

Turn off the main tank valve.

Remove the hose from the BBQ tank.

Slowly turn on main tank with BBQ tank hose end in hand. If it leaks gas you have your answer.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Turn off the main tank valve.

Remove the hose from the BBQ tank.

Slowly turn on main tank with BBQ tank hose end in hand. If it leaks gas you have your answer.
I thought of doing that as well. I was looking for an answer that was beyond the quality of my old fat sniffer. I have been known to miss malodorous scents, if I listen to my wife. Her sniffer is too sensitive however, as she can still smell stuff that happened before the beginning of this current century...

It is a simple and logical suggestion as well. I do appreciate that. I will likely do just what you suggest.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I have a related question. I recently got a MH (88 Fleetwood Southwind) that has a device in the line between on board tank, and regulator.

This device appears to be a simple 'tee'. .......
T yes, Simple no, and it is 4 ports more than likely so it is an X not a T

Ports are "Main tank in" this goes into the shut off valve for the tank
Main propane out,, The line to the regulator goes here, same connection as the tank valve

AUX-IN, hose hooks here

Extended out (Quick disconnect) this port looks like the top of a disposable bottle (those little 12-16 oz jobs) and there is a hose that connectes here with the same other end to feed your grill.

Inside the Fitting are check valves to insure propane flows from main or aux tank to Grill or RV, but can not flow back into main tank from aux, or out the inlet..

That, is the original Extend-a-Stay or the new Stay-a-While I mentioned in an earlier post.. A most useful device,, I have one.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
T yes, Simple no, and it is 4 ports more than likely so it is an X not a T

Ports are "Main tank in" this goes into the shut off valve for the tank
Main propane out,, The line to the regulator goes here, same connection as the tank valve

AUX-IN, hose hooks here

Extended out (Quick disconnect) this port looks like the top of a disposable bottle (those little 12-16 oz jobs) and there is a hose that connectes here with the same other end to feed your grill.

Inside the Fitting are check valves to insure propane flows from main or aux tank to Grill or RV, but can not flow back into main tank from aux, or out the inlet..

That, is the original Extend-a-Stay or the new Stay-a-While I mentioned in an earlier post.. A most useful device,, I have one.
I am glad you posted this. I went to the MH, and took a photo...

Furthermore, I added one hose to the top fixture, and it did not leak when I opened the valve. That top fixture is an output (Near 1 o'clock), and does not let the propane out of the hose, because there is no fixture there.

I will test this unit with the other input hose in place (near 5 o'clock) to see if that too will lock itself out when not connected to a bbq tank.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
As your home is and will be stationary I would consider trying to rent a propane tank of sufficient size to power your RV with. You would have to check with the propane company but they will rent tanks of various sizes so you will be able to get the amount you need to have them come out to fill it.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Here is what I have to work with.

It looks like there is a plastic or rubber cap on the left side of the valve fitting on the vapor side. When I remove it it looks like this:
Old 08-23-2015, 07:36 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
Whenever I've added a tank for a friend I buy the "extend-a-stay" on Ebay, it's usually a lot cheaper.

Our MH has a 29.x tank but I carry an additional 40# portable tank with us because we are drifters, when on the road, and never know where or when we're going to over night.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks to Todd157k I bought the Camco brass propane tee kit with hoses

I had it installed along with my new furnace and I should be good to go for hooking up an external tank now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151014_174307.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	109634

Tags
propane, tank