Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Propane tank question

I've just run into a roadblock today on my plans for living through the winter:
I have a 23.9 gallon fixed horizontal LP gas tank. The propane gas company does not come out for less than 100 gallons and pretty much considers filling RVs a total waste of their time. I may be able to get them to fill it when they are out filling the large tanks on the farm which may or may not be once a month.

My question is would a circa 1991 Suburban dynatrail furnace last most of a month with this size of a tank? or should I start looking to find a way to get this LP gas system converted to a canister system instead? are there other alternative ways I can do a fill myself on a permanently installed tank like this?

I'm assuming equipment for filling these things is prohibitively expensive.

What's the best way to go? I'm using this thing to live out of full time in a single location and there is no way I'm driving it into town to fill it for a lot of good reasons (poor roads, suspension and brakes are totally shot, etc).

I plan to augment my heat with a heat strip + a ceramic heater and keep the furnace turned down to about 50 or 60 degrees most of the time. but if I can't reliably fill it between times the gas truck is here I really can't rely on it at all to keep my pipes from freezing, etc.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
The best way that I see to solve your problem is to not use the tank at all bypass it and hook up a 100 lb. tank.

93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
X2 on the 100lb tank
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
How hard is it to do the conversion? The old tank is full of propane and already ready to go.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:18 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
They make a hose to hook into your propane system and the other end hooks into a portable tank. I think it is called extend a stay(might not have spelled it correctly).
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answser epically this time of year is most likely yes.

But if they will not come to you why do you not simply go to them? With one exception that's how I have filled my tank.

Many private RV parks have Propane (Tends to be expensive)
In some states gas stations and/or hardware stores have Propane.

And your propane wholsaler or delivery service, Soemwhere (The Tank Farm) they can do it.. Heck even in a little town like Tekonsha, MI (When I lived there the population was "Village-700 Township another 700) has a propane tank farm... I got filled there once (good price too). They wanted to give me directions but I did not need them.. I could find that place in my sleep (Slept there for like 15 years or so).
Old 08-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm going to install a 250 gal propane tank near my MH so I can refill myself , mine has a propane 6500 gen and 40 gal tank I like thats its quite and runs good but refilling at truck stops suck... good luck
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
I'm going to install a 250 gal propane tank near my MH so I can refill myself , mine has a propane 6500 gen and 40 gal tank I like thats its quite and runs good but refilling at truck stops suck... good luck
Wow, I think you mean 40 pound and 250 pound. A 250 gallon tank is over 1000 pounds.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The answser epically this time of year is most likely yes.

But if they will not come to you why do you not simply go to them? With one exception that's how I have filled my tank.

Many private RV parks have Propane (Tends to be expensive)
In some states gas stations and/or hardware stores have Propane.

And your propane wholsaler or delivery service, Soemwhere (The Tank Farm) they can do it.. Heck even in a little town like Tekonsha, MI (When I lived there the population was "Village-700 Township another 700) has a propane tank farm... I got filled there once (good price too). They wanted to give me directions but I did not need them.. I could find that place in my sleep (Slept there for like 15 years or so).
I can't go to them because the motorhome is not very mobile anymore. I'm down a very rough gravel road that is almost impossible to navigate in the winter with even normal vehicles. Aside from that the brakes and suspension are shot along with not wanting to aggrivate wear and rot on this thing. Basically it's more of a living quarters than something I intend to move around. I would also bet on the tires being close to their use by date on top of everything else.

I think if I could have done it over again I would have gotten an old 5th wheel to live in instead.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:31 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
They make a hose to hook into your propane system and the other end hooks into a portable tank. I think it is called extend a stay(might not have spelled it correctly).
Frank
I'm interested in this. Does it hook into the fill connection on a permanent tank somehow?
Old 08-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #11

Amazon.com: Camco 59123 Propane Brass Tee with 4 Port with 5' and 12' Hose: Automotive

and a hose to the portable tank
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wschaub View Post
I'm interested in this. Does it hook into the fill connection on a permanent tank somehow?
It Tee's into the discharge line of the mounted tank, before the regulator. You can shut off and save your mounted tank gas while using the free standing tank. If it needs a refill, open the mounted tank and unhook the other and take it to get filled.

I have seen them at full time RV parks. They set up gas delivery to the large tank.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Wow, I think you mean 40 pound and 250 pound. A 250 gallon tank is over 1000 pounds.
My tank on my RV is a 45 gal and I intend to put a stationary 250 gal tank at my house to refill RV with..
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #14

Sorry, I thought you were going to transport the big tank to get it filled.

Do you have a propane pump to fill the MH tank?

Tags
propane, tank