Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #1

Pulling a trailer with old Winnebago?

Hi..
I'm new. This looks like the kind of place where I might find an answer I can depend on. I just bought an old 1973 Winnebago Brave with the 440 engine. Does anybody know if I can pull a camping trailer for extra bedspace? If so,do you know an upper weight limit or tongue weight limit? How about hooking to electric brakes on the trailer?
This looks like this will be a great website for real information.
djduffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

I had the same question about my '89 Elandan. I sent an information request to Winnebago and they sent me an email a few days later with all the towing ratings.

Winnebago is pretty good about providing technical information and wiring schematics for older vehicles.

Erik
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #3

first most rv have rear frame extensions welded in place (check welds) mine was beefed up. i tied the hitch into the spare tire holder i bet your hitch is 3500 lb total 350 on tongue
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #4

Like Whem2fish indicated, frame extensions, if installed, would be your biggest concern (break at weld). Though a D22 may not have those. Typically Winnebago only had a 200lb hitch load in the 70's. Thats the spec for all 78 Braves and Chieftains. Many have beefed up the Frame extension to get more towing capacity.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The frame extensions on my 28 ft Pace Arrow are such sloppy welds that I've recently beefed them up. I have access to a light weight all aluminum enclosed trailer that I plan to pull behind loaded moderately. But even before pulling it I will load it up with what I plan to carry and take it to a set of scales to get actual weight. I'll pull it with our work truck which I know won't be a problem before pulling anything behind this MH. I'll also get a loaded weight of it as well. I'd get those figures first off and make certain you do not overloaded by any amount. And I'd always have trailer brakes installed.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #6

I have a 1984 Cheiftain and the sticker on the back of the motorhome says 200lb tongue weight and 2000lb towing capacity. I definitely agree with the other guys about the frame extension. Check to see if your model has them and if it does inspect the welds. If you have access to a welder I would try and improve the job that was done from the factory. I also agree with the comment(s) about trailer brakes. On our first trip I towed a Mazda Miata which weighs 2300lbs. because I was afraid of getting stranded in the middle of know where. The motorhome pulled the weight as if it wasn't there, but stopping was a whole different story.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #7

I have an '88 Itasca 22' with a 454 and installed a hitch that bolts on before and on the frame extensions.
Pulled the wife's '98 Chevy 4X4 Tracker on an old U-Haul tow dolly to Wyoming and back with no problems. I had replaced the old surge brake system with a new surge brake system and it stopped just fine.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
In a related vien, be aware that many campgrounds will not allow two camping rigs on one site. You may be forced to rent a second site for the second camper, even if one is physically large enough for both of yours. Be sure to ask when making your reservations, just to avoid any surprises.

That said, bringing a 'mother-in-law' room isn't such a bad idea.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago