Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2008, 05:13 AM   #1

Just wondering for a spring project, anyone pull up their hall carpet for a non-carpet flooring. My wife hates carpet so, guess what? Nailing or screws, glue?
Any pictures or process ideas would be very helpful, thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2008, 05:13 AM   #2

Just wondering for a spring project, anyone pull up their hall carpet for a non-carpet flooring. My wife hates carpet so, guess what? Nailing or screws, glue?
Any pictures or process ideas would be very helpful, thanks
Old 12-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
The carpet is put in before the rest of the cabnets and all. Get a sharp razor knife and start cutting. I cut the carpet out of my bath with no problems at all. It is stapled down to the floor along the wall edges before the walls are set.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #4

So did you use like a floating floor? How did you secure it? Im thinking like the strips to secure the edge to the carpet like in a house. But im worried about what is under the floor where I would use screws. Thanks for any ideas.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
I used "Pergo" or the like flooring. Removed olde carpet & old pad, put down the new pad required for flooring. Left all edges 1/4" away from baseboards, cabinets, Ect... Found 1/2" X 1/2" screen molding (foam) in same color as woodwork in 5er. Installed molding over gap nailed with brad nailer. Around shower/tub just caulked piece on enclosure. At the entrance door I used a flat transition piece. Been in old 5er for 4-1/2 years now & no problems.
Wingnut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:48 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I purchased a heavy duty vinyl wood-look "plank" from Lowe's. They stick to each other - they have a 1" lip of adhesive so they stick to each other and "float" on the floor instead of being nailed, glued or screwed down. I am extremely pleased with the way that it turned out. I'll get a pic posted on here for you to see.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I stripped the carpet, wall covering, blinds, bath and kitchen hardware, counter tops, sofa and bed for a complete renovation. Then installed new wall coverings, plantation blinds, prefinished oak flooring, corian tops, quality bath and kitchen hardware, sofa, air comfort bed and refinished the existing walnut cabinetry.

The final touches include origional art, orential runners, decor items, several sizes of wine glasses, silverware cooking ware and very upgraded electronics.

A MH is just a mini home that you can change and upgrade to suit your personal taste.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:28 PM   #8

Wow Gerald! You are doing everything I hope to do!! What kind of rig do you have? Folks tell me I'm wasting money fixing my rig up so much, but it's my home, I can't afford a new one, so I do one thing at a time until it's the way I want it to be. I'm sure some of the things I'm doing will raise the resale value and somethings will make it too customized for most folks, but like I said - it's my home. I'm curious about the plantation shutters . . . do you have valances too or just the shutters? Can you share photos?? Thanks!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:03 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hi GraciesMom and all you vintage RV fans……The investment is a mixed bag. You will not be able to recover your costs, but you will be living in an RV that has been customized to your “wants”, needs and taste. The costs are certainly less than purchasing a later model and/or a new rig. In my case, I become attached to old/vintage MH, cars, 4x4, airplanes, boats, etc and just have this “need” to modify, upgrade and maintain them. And I enjoy nice surroundings. It’s a love/hate relationship.:-)

The plantation blinds are white Levolor faux wood blinds with 2” blades. I custom made the valances with walnut end pieces and fabric covered centers to compliment the interior décor.

My MH is a 1991 38’ DP SportsCoach IV with all the factory extras, the above noted upgrades, modified engine and transmission, upgraded electronics, walnut cabinets with raised paneled doors, suspension mods, etc. It is waiting for a slick new paint job in 2009. I have owned it since new.

And I must add, after reading your posts in the Solo section, that it is stocked with Champaign, white wine, red wine, desert wine, cordial, mint julep, frosted beer, etc glasses. :-)

Gerald
Old 12-25-2008, 07:02 PM   #10

Ah - nothing like a well-stocked RV!! LOL!! I'd love to see photos if you have any. Especialy of the window treatments. Gotta make some decisions by next week.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
GM...I emailed you three photos of the installed valances. Let me know if you need installation details, etc.

Gerald
Old 12-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GraciesMom:
I purchased a heavy duty vinyl wood-look "plank" from Lowe's. They stick to each other - they have a 1" lip of adhesive so they stick to each other and "float" on the floor instead of being nailed, glued or screwed down. I am extremely pleased with the way that it turned out. I'll get a pic posted on here for you to see. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A picture would be nice. The floating idea is what I want so pictures, pictures...thanks
Old 01-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #13

Gerald - thanks for the photos. That answered my questions as to how they were installed. I thought you were talking about the framed plantation shutters - not the wood blind type. I bought some honeycomb shades for mine. Not exactly what I want but will do for now until I can have custom roman shades made.