Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #15

Thanks for the welcome Don and I may be picking your brain as I get into this thing. I have read that they put relays on the ignition to alleviate burnt switches and I know the radio needs a constant feed so I think it is as simple as separating the radio from the main circuit. I am picking it up this weekend and then I will be able to get a better idea of what I am up against.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #16

I have a 1990 Chieftain 31rq. My roof is metal with a seal around the edges. Your pictures leave a bit to question though. With these older RVs theres no telling what some yahoo did before you, such as possibly coating the entire metal roof with a rubber roof material...
I would say, scrape a small section and it should be pretty easy to tell the difference between fiberglass, metal and rubber.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #17

I will definitely check it but metal or fiberglass, it is a lot better than the rubber over rotted wood that is on my slide in!
Old 11-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think Winnebago will email you Wiring and Plumbing diagrams if you give them the VIN and Winnebago serial number. They start with 1990 on the WEB site.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #19

Going to pick it up tomorrow and now they are calling for rain! It has sat for a couple years so I will bet the wipers are shot. Can anyone tell me the part number for replacement wipers for an 89 Winnebago Chieftain 31rt?
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #20

Well, I brought it home today. That was not a very enjoyable 100 miles. Had a pull to the right and the front suspension bottomed out hard on every dip. I thought it had bags in the front but I do not see anywhere to fill them. I have not crawled under it yet. Most everything seem to work but there are a lot of issues to take care of. Tires are way out of balance, drivers door window goes down but you have to pull pretty hard to help it up. The horns do not work, air or regular. Sounds like the water pump (engine) is going out. How in the world do you get to that?
It has a Steer-safe system on the front end. What is the general opinion of these? I know I had put similar things on pick-ups for people years ago when I had my shop and they did nothing but cause problems.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #21

Well, started tunneling my way back to the water pump today. This is not going to be a fun job. All of the coolers, the A/C condenser and the radiator with support all have to come out the front. For something so big and boxy there is not much room to work. I am going to want to get the front tires off to get to some of the stuff and also to balance them. What is the trick to getting the wheel covers off? I am guessing I have to pull off all of the pretty lug nut covers? They do not look like real nuts and there are no wrench marks on them. There is no identifying name anywhere on them but I do not see any form of attachment. There are two rusty pins it looks like sticking out through the covers on opposite sides, I am guessing they are for cover indexing.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well it looks like you have a project in hand but what the heck these things are a labor of love.
The hubcaps, where what look like lugnuts, two of them should have dimples in them and were across from each other. Locate those and with a lug wrench that should have come with your coach you remove those two dimpled lug covers and then take off the wheel covers. Check the date codes on your tires it's possible they're old enough to need replacing. Be cautious under that motorhome and be sure to have jack stands to withstand the weight. Good luck and keep us up on how your coming along. If you can't find the wrench for lose nuts you'll just have to purchase a socket that will fit.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Well it looks like you have a project in hand but what the heck these things are a labor of love.
The hubcaps, where what look like lugnuts, two of them should have dimples in them and were across from each other. Locate those and with a lug wrench that should have come with your coach you remove those two dimpled lug covers and then take off the wheel covers. Check the date codes on your tires it's possible they're old enough to need replacing. Be cautious under that motorhome and be sure to have jack stands to withstand the weight. Good luck and keep us up on how your coming along. If you can't find the wrench for lose nuts you'll just have to purchase a socket that will fit.
Thanks for the wheel tips, I got all the tools and camping gear that was with the previous owners so I will go through it and the wrench is probably there. I can slide under the front bumper without jacking it up so I am lucky there, don't have to worry about it falling. The tires were replaced in 08 and appear to be in excellent condition with no checking at all. The brakes feel a little spongey but I can see it has a new master cylinder and a new Hydroboost unit. I have all of the receipts for a complete brake job including new rotors and calipers from 08 also. It only had less than 1000 miles on it since then. I will pull the wheels and check everything and then bleed the brakes and I am guessing that will be the problem, air in the lines.

Rick
Old 11-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
I called Winnebago and the service manager told me the roof is fiberglass. He did not sound like he really wanted to talk so I left it at that but I would really like to know what is under the fiberglass and also how thick the fiberglass is. I can push down on the top in the area where the leak was and make it move and that worries me. I am used to wood structures so I maybe over thinking it but I only want to fix it once. Once I get it stripped of all the old sealant and resealed with Eternabond I will need to repaint the top. What is the preferred coating for a fiberglass top?
You may not have to paint the roof. Clean really well, scrub with Barkeepers Friend, and use Zep High Traffic floor wax. Search Zep on forums. Lot's of people use this. I have just purchased some for myself.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j...015_165315.jpg

This is a picture of the results of Zep
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #26

Looks really nice except for the roof. While your up on the roof you may want to check the air conditioner shroud. If it's cracked or brittle go ahead and replace it. Ask me how I know 😗.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j...015_165315.jpg

This is a picture of the results of Zep
I could only dream of a roof that looks that good!!! I would have to somehow get the paint that is on there off first. I thi9nk I am going to have no choice but to paint it again.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
Looks really nice except for the roof. While your up on the roof you may want to check the air conditioner shroud. If it's cracked or brittle go ahead and replace it. Ask me how I know 😗.
OK, It is cracked so I will bite, How do you know?

Tags
purchase, winnebago