Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
I could only dream of a roof that looks that good!!! I would have to somehow get the paint that is on there off first. I thi9nk I am going to have no choice but to paint it again.
Amazing what a good pressure wash and scrub with Barkeepers Friend might do after it is resealed with Eternabond. Inside looks good barring water damage in bedroom.

sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Amazing what a good pressure wash and scrub with Barkeepers Friend might do after it is resealed with Eternabond. Inside looks good barring water damage in bedroom.
I have found that the paneling is bubbled under all of the windows so they are all coming out for a reseal. The vinyl wall covering is not coming off at any other spot besides the bedroom so I am going to leave well enough alone at the other areas for now other than to reseal the leaks. The sides are all faded and dull, I will address them after I do the roof. When you did your roof cleaning did you have to cover the sides to keep from streaking?

rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I have found that the paneling is bubbled under all of the windows so they are all coming out for a reseal. The vinyl wall covering is not coming off at any other spot besides the bedroom so I am going to leave well enough alone at the other areas for now other than to reseal the leaks. The sides are all faded and dull, I will address them after I do the roof. When you did your roof cleaning did you have to cover the sides to keep from streaking?
The picture I posted was not my roof. It was posted by another member after he cleaned and used Zep. That picture is one of the reasons that I have recently purchased the product to use. If you search the forums under Zep wax, there is a lot of info on the cleaning process and application of the product. You will see pictures of members who have used the wax on their whole unit. That is my intention with mine when the weather improves. I like the idea that it is a wipe on only product and does not need buffing.

You are probably gonna get black streaks no matter how you clean that roof, but they can be cleaned easily with black streak remover. Once you reseal the joints, you can get a lot more aggressive with your cleaning and scrubbing. When I clean my roof, I do the whole unit at the same time, starting with the roof.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #32

Just a couple of things to note. If this is a P30 chassis, it should have air bags inside the front springs. There may be lines underneath to air them up, or you may have to connect directly to the bag. Most likely, they are blown and need to be replaced. They are easy to replace and inexpensive. It will make a difference in handling as the P30s were NOT known for their handling characteristics.

Also, in regards to the air horn, your unit does not have air brakes, so somewhere on board should be a small compressor and air tank. It's very common for the air tanks to rust out which will kill the horns. That's just a matter of tracing things down and finding the bad piece.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #33

Quote:
OK, It is cracked so I will bite, How do you know?
Stopped at a rest area on a 1200 mile trip, looked up and one was gone. Lost it some where on the road. Stopped at a camping world and replaced it the parking lot.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #34

Same thing happened to me a few years back. We were heading to Florida and suddenly the AC wasn't cooling as well as it had been. Stopped for fuel and looked up and saw the entire shroud was missing. Stopped at Camping World in Nashville and bought a replacement.

I'd hate to have been the poor [moderator edit] behind me when that thing let loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
Stopped at a rest area on a 1200 mile trip, looked up and one was gone. Lost it some where on the road. Stopped at a camping world and replaced it the parking lot.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Same thing happened to me a few years back. We were heading to Florida and suddenly the AC wasn't cooling as well as it had been. Stopped for fuel and looked up and saw the entire shroud was missing. Stopped at Camping World in Nashville and bought a replacement. I'd hate to have been the poor [moderator edit] behind me when that thing let loose
Topdownman, that's funny, I think it may have been the Nashville Camping World we stopped at. We where heading to KY, and DW said oh there's a Camping World, so I pulled off HWY. BTW, all the Camping World bashers, they where extremely nice and very helpful.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #36

I am sure this question has been asked in the past but I am new to class A so I have to learn. I hear you all mention using your A/C while driving, Mine runs on A/C power so I would have to be running the generator. Is that what you are doing or do your units also run on DC voltage?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #37

Yes, you run the generator to run the roof ac.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #38

Well, I bought this RV as a fixer upper knowing I would have to do some work on it. Mostly interior repair from water damage. I found out that the engine water pump was bad so I tore into that dropping roughly 300.00 into parts that I had not planned on. Now I find out the radiator is bad! this is most likely goping to push this restoration over the edge for me unless someone knows of a good place to get radiators cheap which is not likely. Copper is way up so that means radiators are too. I am open to any suggestions, and no, repairing with stop leak is NOT an option.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most new radiators are aluminum.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #40
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
and no, repairing with stop leak is NOT an option.
You are very correct with that statement.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #41

This is true and is also part of the problem. On mine I have a third large fitting directly opposite the inlet that has a hose attached that extends the fill neck forward. Any radiator with a top fill is not going to work for me because there is NO clearance on top of the radiator. What this means is that the radiator will have to be specific to that application. If it were a copper radiator I could at least have the old tank with the needed fittings moved over to the new core. Aluminum radiators also have plastic tanks and these tend to be very problematic on vehicles that have high heat cycles like motorhomes have, the tanks come loose and burst away from the core. If anyone has a name of a supplier I would be glad to call them and see what they can do.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j...015_165315.jpg

This is a picture of the results of Zep
Looks brand new I bet the air will just slide right off, increased mileage. Mine is Alum so I can't do it.

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, winnebago