Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #1

Question about 1988 Southwind

Hello
Im new here. I want to buy a 1988 Southwind from somesone. The price is $2300 It comes with generator,3 batteries. Interier is ok there is no stove and sink. BOth a/c units barely work. THe engine is in need of repair. THe headers need replaced on the chevy 454 engine. ALso cosmetically, the rv is in bad shape. Upholstery stained, rust, wall paper peeling, closet door missing, table useless... SO, my question is. Do you think that it is worth it? Or how much is it worth?
Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like something to deal way down on. I'd offer him half. My 79 Pace Arrow cost me 1500 and is in much better shape then what you have described.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #3

Sounds like something a person is trying to get rid of. I bought mine in what I thought was in fairly good condition but have put a small fortune into it trying to get it road ready. At least once you have fixed everything, you will know what you have and it should be ready to go for awhile. Tires alone will eat up at least $1000. For the right price you could afford to completely replace the motor with a new or rebuilt one. However, a lot has been said here about the radiator and cooling system and the amount of money put into that. Then there is the chassis air conditioning which you may or may not want to update. Does it have a tag axle? How are the brakes? All that adds up. I've already spent over $5000 of your money and we haven't even touched the interior, yet. Good Luck. But there is always the joy of working on your own RV. It has given me a lot of enjoyment fixing piece by piece. My next project is to drop the gas tank and see what is in there.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you really like it don't offer over $500. It will take a lot of time and money to fix it up. Otherwise find something in camp ready condition in the $3500 to $5000 range for an RV of that age.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Two years ago, we bought what appeared to be a beautifully maintained 1991 Pace Arrow 32H. We knew it needed an awning, and would be needing tires soon. What we did not know was that it needed a refrigerator, front end bushings, leaky plumbing under the bath sink, and other minor parts. We did a complete safety and mechanical inspection. We have abt $15,000 into it and we did not have some of the problems you nave mentioned in the Southwind.

I would agree that $500 or less...maybe worth it. But, before you begin to enjoy it, you will spend a lot of money.

JoAnn
1999 National Tradewinds (and a like-new 1991 Pace Arrow for sale)
Spokane Valley, Washington
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally I would probably not consider it. You say rusty? Make sure you check the frame for sure. I really think you should keep looking. With all you say it needs just add that money to a usable rig and save yourself some headaches. You'll always have something that needs to be done on these rigs but maybe a bit less then what you are describing.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #7

Thank you so much everyone ! I think I won't get this one I will wait for the better one.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Any vintage motor home will be a project. There will always be things that you didn't see or that break shortly after purchase.

This one, however, is not a $2300 rig but really a $5000 or $6000 rig as soon as you drive it away, and that is BEFORE you start fixing the stuff you can't see yet.

An old RV that has been used and maintained properly will look it- neat, clean, more-or-less road ready, even if a little tired and worn.

A junker will look like a junker. Who takes out the stove and sink, for pete's sake?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #10

i paid $2000 for my 83 southwind 30ft it runs an everything works on it . I looked for 1 year b4 i found what i was looking for it needs some work on the out side the paint is dull. An i have been waxing it for 1 week already an im done with the front lol now to do the rest ..the family loves it my 3 dogs love it . What can i say im a happy camper
mr.road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #11

Some more DETAILS
5.7 ford engine. 38k miles
2 new batteries.
previous owner put wrong exhaust manifolds on. you need irregular porthole exhaust manifold for 1988 ford 5.7 L engine. about 45 each online.
will require drilling out old bolts .
gen is and onan emerald 6k kilowatts with 500 hours. requires startup at the gen not inside.
kitchen is removed except fridge and microwave. new toilet.
both over head ACs work.
new belts
new power stearing res
tires are good.
tranny good

whole drive train is good
cosmetically not great.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #12

you didn't say where you were, but there are better rigs for that kind of money and LESS... our '84 cost me $2300 last year; it wasn't perfect but i'm entirely happy with it. the 454 runs great, the tranny works great, the genny works, the AC works, the stove works... it needs tires, but i knew that going in. i'd hesitate to even buy the one you described for $500, because you may lose THAT getting it towed away when whatever engine trouble it has rears it's head permanently.
if you're on the East coast or Gulf, hunt the classifieds in the middle Florida area.... that's where the bargains are; retired folks who've roosted and need to dispose of a financial burden they don't use any more. you showed a lot of awareness finding the problems you told us about, that's a good thing and you need to keep your eyes open!
raccoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
same rig

is this more details rig the same rig we have all said to pass on, or is it another rig you are looking at.
Patience is so important here. Good deals come along that are in really good shape and just need updated. but you have to be patient and ready to buy when they come up.
Lokahi117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #14

Yes its still the same one. Im still thinking about it but my husband say no so no more question about this one I guess..We live in south florida now and we will go see a couple RVs tomorrow. Thank you again

Tags
southwind