Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #1

Questions concerning RV Roof

I believe the roof has previously had an EPDM coating applied and is pretty shabby (not sure how the wood beneath it all looks, i had someone weighing around 120lbs on the roof to cover up broken vents and, there was no sagging but she told me that the roof coating wasn't touching the wood, now my thoughts were apply a coating or few of Liquid RV followed by Stop Leak along the seems but, i would love to know what everyone's thoughts are? all i want is no leaks and to prevent any further damage (if there is in fact any)

-Thanks, Contra
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141015_114503.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	77527   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141015_114507.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	77528  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141015_114511.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	77529   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141015_114521.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	77530  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #2

When I started reconditioning my Bounder. The roof appeared to be in much worse shape than your photo. I use the ProGuard Liquid Roof. I washed and caulked...taped and sealed all areas that needed emergency attention. Applied the Liquid Roof per instruction. The RV will get some decent number of seasons more before I must go up and replace the EPDM completely. But this bought me the time I need to ease into a big repair like that.

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
When I started reconditioning my Bounder. The roof appeared to be in much worse shape than your photo. I use the ProGuard Liquid Roof. I washed and caulked...taped and sealed all areas that needed emergency attention. Applied the Liquid Roof per instruction. The RV will get some decent number of seasons more before I must go up and replace the EPDM completely. But this bought me the time I need to ease into a big repair like that.
Thank you so much!, this is precisely what i wanted to hear.. frankly i'm new to RV'ing. This is my first rig, ripping into that roof is not something i want to be doing before i get so much as a single night of camping ha. Honestly i can't tell you how much i appreciate this Forum and, more so the people here!

-Once again thank you!, Contra
Old 10-28-2014, 06:49 AM   #4

Contra...take one project at a time. Do it properly and you will find that the list gets shorter real fast. My old Bounder has been a nice project. I worked slowly and smartly...keeping in mind that it is a $6000 RV. I have placed a full solar kit up on the roof and upgraded the battery system to be able to "boondock" most effectively. the wife and I turned this rig into a bicycle hauling platform where we can go out with the other oldies...and find a local or far away path and stay for several days without the need for the generator or connected power.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #5

the roof on my 73 looked pretty similar to yours. We blew off the debris/lightly sanded the flakes and then put Ames maximum stretch over it. Sealed the seams up with seam tape before the Ames and its been good to go ever since. just do some work to prep for the paint - should be g2g!

Old 10-29-2014, 05:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My 1974 Shasta looked about the same as yours, Just wash it good, knock off all the loose stuff, make sure it is clean and free of mold and such. Then after it has dried, do all the seams, front, rear, around all the vents and a/c, and the sides. Go to your local big box store, and go to the roofing section, and you will see the elastomeric roof coating! It comes in gallons, buy 1, and read the directions, it is easy, and does a very good job! Once it has dried and cured, you will be set for many dry years! Enjoy! Rail!
Old 11-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #7

I would suggest a google search for Dicor roofing products. You will find replacement roof material and roof coating material. I would feel much more comfortable using these products rather than something developed for your house.
It's your call but you need to explore your options and talk to several RV roof repair shops to get a consensus of the proper repair method.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #8

Call or look at The RV Roofman.com 916-284-7067 Talk to Ron. they do only roofs,and come to you.

Tags
roof