Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2019, 04:14 PM   #1

Radiator's Electric Fan

Radiator's Electric Fan

Have still running OEM electric fan on radiator. Not sure it always comes on at appropriate times. There is also a good condition clutch fan on 454 motor.

Thinking about putting on new electric fan for summer trip over desert areas.

Heard there are some super duper air-movers for new fans.

Suggestions??

Thanks,

Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3463.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	243780  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2019, 04:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Rather than the expense of the new fan, how about putting a switch on your still running electrical fan? It usually runs off a temp sensor on the passenger side of the engine block, turning on at like 220 and off at 200. You could put a switch and a relay on so you can switch it on and off. Word of caution: That fan SUX power, more than your alternator puts out. Don't turn it on and leave it on or you will brown out. I know, I did it with my '89 454 HR AlumaLite. Freaked me out.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:02 PM   #3

On my P30 chassis, that is fan for the A/C and only comes on when A/C is switched on.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Rather than the expense of the new fan, how about putting a switch on your still running electrical fan? It usually runs off a temp sensor on the passenger side of the engine block, turning on at like 220 and off at 200. You could put a switch and a relay on so you can switch it on and off. Word of caution: That fan SUX power, more than your alternator puts out. Don't turn it on and leave it on or you will brown out. I know, I did it with my '89 454 HR AlumaLite. Freaked me out.
Good idea!
Old 04-27-2019, 08:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW_Al View Post
On my P30 chassis, that is fan for the A/C and only comes on when A/C is switched on.

That may be same with ours. I'll check. Thanks!

Still thinking of bigger fan with sensor that also turns on when engine reached 220 +/- and turns off at 205 +/-.

Wondering if there is better fan than this original.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
Good idea!
On my old Superior MH with a 440 Dodge it would run hot while moving around & parking in the campground after a long run, Added a fan to the front of the radiator with a switch on the dash & solved the problem!
Rick Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:59 PM   #7

First thought, if it works, don't fix it.
If you replace it with an ebay or auto parts fan, most cheap ones are junk, they don't move much air. You can gauge their capacity by amperage rating.
My preference is an OEM fan. Reasonably priced, move A LOT of air, and available everywhere. They do draw a lot of amperage, so you may have to upgrade your wiring. Dodge neons come to mind in a lot of engine swaps.
Check to see how the current one is actuated. If it's by AC, it's probably through a trinary switch. You could add a temp sensor to trigger the relay too, what I do.
garys 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:57 PM   #8

Thanks for info Everyone!

I've been looking at fans in "Classic Industries" Chevrolet GMC Truck Catalog... that my mechanic handed me.

Not in a big rush and will suss things out before making any move.

Seems that a heat sensor on the engine as well as off/on direct line toggle switch on dash would be smart to have with any fan.

I'll probably hook up those two activation items to the orig fan now in place and go from there. First one hooked in will be direct line toggle. The simplest and most assuredly effective if I feel need for the fan to be pushing air.

It's not that the engine is overheating... cause it's not... so far. Then again I've only driven Sweetie some 130 +/- miles and not in real hot weather, on real hot blacktop.

We shall see!!!
Old 04-28-2019, 06:06 PM   #9

Looks OEM

To RM Art,
Definitely looked familiar and OEM. Went to check ours, and it appears GM may have used different suppliers, or different sized fans for various chassis weights. For you to compare, ours measures 19" tall.

The fan engages around 205+ degrees in heavy traffic, A/C on or off. My step-dad did add an auxiliary fan override, (in picture) under the hood. I do plan on moving that switch to the dash board. He also added a fan to the transmission cooler, which is operated by a dash mounted switch. That fan is 10 1/2" wide, and does drop the trans temp in stop and go traffic quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1183.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	243931  
Old 04-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #10

By far the best electric fans are made by spall. Google them to find somewhere to order. I warn you now they are expensive, but well worth the extra money. The amount of air that they move compared to a generic brand is insane. I have 2 on my off-road car, and if you were to look around at most of the serious, purpose built off-road vehicles use them, play cars and race vehicles as well. Having remote mount radiators there is no mechanical fan and these keep it cool.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #11

Pretty much what I did. See post 62.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/my-ne...-323427-5.html
garys 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:10 PM   #12

Looking into Spall fans.

This eve started RV and let engine get fully warmed up... for being in idle that is, while parked in lower yard area. Electric fan did not come on.

Hit AC for 10 minutes - fan did not come on.

Temp gauge never went over 210 degrees [normal running temp].

I do know that the fan has come on before when using the vehicle. Will keep close eye on current OEM fan circumstances.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
Looking into Spall fans.

This eve started RV and let engine get fully warmed up... for being in idle that is, while parked in lower yard area. Electric fan did not come on.

Hit AC for 10 minutes - fan did not come on.

Temp gauge never went over 210 degrees [normal running temp].

I do know that the fan has come on before when using the vehicle. Will keep close eye on current OEM fan circumstances.
The OEM electric fan on mine is set to come on when the refrigerant pressure reaches a certain level (high heat and poor heat dissipation= high pressure) The pressure switch is likely at the A/C drier. Fan is also switched on when the engine coolant reaches ~220 degrees. On the a/c you will notice a decrease in cooling performance before the fan comes on. I added an additional switch and relay to manually control the fan to keep the a/c performing at it's best on hot days and keep engine temps down in the 205-210 range.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
The OEM electric fan on mine is set to come on when the refrigerant pressure reaches a certain level (high heat and poor heat dissipation= high pressure) The pressure switch is likely at the A/C drier. Fan is also switched on when the engine coolant reaches ~220 degrees. On the a/c you will notice a decrease in cooling performance before the fan comes on. I added an additional switch and relay to manually control the fan to keep the a/c performing at it's best on hot days and keep engine temps down in the 205-210 range.
I too will add the manual toggle switch to fan!

Tags
electric, fan, radiator