Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:06 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhrlto View Post
A very poor example....not even close representation

Its not a poor example if you lived it...
T[/QUOTE]

Why the past tense. Seems to me still going strongly

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 05:10 AM   #44

There are any number of things you could tell them that would put the federal justice system behind you.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:17 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhrlto View Post
sorry I brought it up now.
Don't apologize. There may be someone reading this who is about to make an offer on an older rig and they will reassess what they plan to offer now that they know they may be refused entry into certain parks. You have done a service by creating awareness. When considering older rigs the 10 year rule should be a factor in the negotiation. I am curious to know how many people selling older rigs disclose to the buyer that because the rig is 10 years old they may be denied entry into certain parks. For those who may have sold older rigs do you disclose this to the newbie buyers?
Old 10-24-2016, 02:52 AM   #46

National RV Owners Club
Wouldn't such a rule be smarter to say something like:

"We reserve the right to reject vehicles that are not well maintained or are unsightly in appearance." You could have a 2005 Prevost and not get in while someone else with a 2007 RV that is thrashed gets in. Seems a little too inflexible to put an arbitrary number on it. Some vintage RV's are in mint condition where other much newer ones which were cheaply built to begin with are wearing very badly after a few years of use.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:29 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I could care less and would go else where to stay .... Their rights to their property and My rights to drive what I want . Mine is 22 years it old (3 more years and we'll get classic lic plates) and we are going for 40 and if it comes down to it I can buy a place to park it wherever we want to go.
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:37 AM   #48

Well, just to put it out there, but my rig is 14yrs old and we stay at Anaheim RV Resort several times a year. I've never had an issue. They may be a bit more lenient on the older DPs though. I know I've seen other rigs there that are just as old, if not a wee bit older, than mine. Of course there is always Orangeland. I'd stay there before Anaheim Harbor, unless all you are looking for is a two block walk to Disneyland.

As others have pointed out, there's no need to get in a huff over it, there are always other places to stay, usually cheaper too. We normally just look for a KOA when we're on the road, or a Jellystone, since they always have amenities for the kids.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:41 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post

"We reserve the right to reject vehicles that are not well maintained or are unsightly in appearance." You could have a 2005 Prevost and not get in while someone else with a 2007 RV that is thrashed gets in. Seems a little too inflexible to put an arbitrary number on it. Some vintage RV's are in mint condition where other much newer ones which were cheaply built to begin with are wearing very badly after a few years of use.
I've stayed at several places with a 10 year rule and never been questioned about it. It's really just a rule to help keep clunkers and the "involuntarily homeless" out of their parks. I imagine that it could depend on the kid behind the counter though. Some see a rule and stick to it. They have the RV park equivalent of "zero tolerance", while other employees use more personal discretion.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:42 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
The problem as I see it when comparing a rule like the 10 year minimum age on a camper to racism, is the choice factor...

If a person is born with a certain amount of pigment in their skin, and another person discriminates against them, it has nothing to do with the choices they made, or their chosen lifestyle. Because of this, most people (all reasonable ) will condemn it.

If a company (a campground is a company) targets a certain group to sell their wares to, and tells a different group they are not in that target, it has nothing to do with discrimination of people. If a person were not in the target group, and wanted to be, they only need buy a new camper.

Now, if you are saying that owning an older camper means you are poor, and that owning a newer camper means that you are rich, and you are poor because of a factor of your birth, and not a function of your life choices, then you could potential compare the situations.

Unfortunately, this latest situation is not supported by facts. Many people who are born poor do not stay that way, many people who are born rich eventually become poor, many people with a 20 year old camper have a higher total net worth than others with a 10 year old camper. For that matter, many 20 year old campers (like a good class A) may easily be worth more money than a 7 year old travel trailer.

So, while some may want to claim they are being discriminated against, and as far as I am concerned, are free to feel that way, they cannot claim it is the same kind of discrimination as racial discrimination.
Very well said, Karl, I X-2 what you said!

Now, I have a 20 year old 1996 Monaco Windsor 38' DP, never once ask, how old, how long? Just compliments on how nice it looks! It was my choice to buy this year of coach, and was exactly what I was looking for! Most, when they find out how old it is, just say, Wow! Really? If a CG or RV resort questions how old it is, I will tell them straight up! And tell them Proudly! And then, if the "ten year rule" is mentioned, choose another place to stay! It does not bother me, as I am happy with my choice!
I was looking for a very well built, semi-monocoque chassis, MH, with a manual injected Cummins 8.3, and a 6 speed Allison! Got what I was looking for and am super happy with the drive and handling of this MH! No rattles, air leaks, super quiet, comfortable touring coach! Rail!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160419_154913.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	142449

Name:	IMG_20160419_155018.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	142450
Old 10-24-2016, 06:08 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Very well said, Karl, I X-2 what you said!

Now, I have a 20 year old 1996 Monaco Windsor 38' DP, never once ask, how old, how long? Just compliments on how nice it looks! It was my choice to buy this year of coach, and was exactly what I was looking for! Most, when they find out how old it is, just say, Wow! Really? If a CG or RV resort questions how old it is, I will tell them straight up! And tell them Proudly! And then, if the "ten year rule" is mentioned, choose another place to stay! It does not bother me, as I am happy with my choice!
I was looking for a very well built, semi-monocoque chassis, MH, with a manual injected Cummins 8.3, and a 6 speed Allison! Got what I was looking for and am super happy with the drive and handling of this MH! No rattles, air leaks, super quiet, comfortable touring coach! Rail!
Same here 20 plus years old everywhere we go I have had people come by and look at ours and even ask to look at the inside ,, We have gone off in the toad and come back to guys checking it out several times . . This is not worth you being upset over there are plenty of places to stay that would love to have you stay with them......Support them !!
[
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:03 AM   #52

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I first encountered this 10 year rule when my RV was less than 10 months. At the time I formed a theory, and I've lived by it ever since.

If they have a 10 year rule, it means they have so much business they need to turn people away.. So they clearly do not need MY business

Park elsewhere.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
start posting specifics regarding those parks that reject good looking units over 10 years old..................like name and location.............I am coming up on 10 yrs and would love this information.................there are still plenty of us out here with older coaches.............hit the parks where it hurts, in their pockets..................funny, old vs new, expensive vs. less expensive..........staying at a park in Michigan last week, guy rolls in in 2015 coach that costs probably $400 grand..............he was hooking up and notice a leaking radiator...........expensive rigs still have their issues.................
Old 10-24-2016, 07:39 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
.....expensive rigs still have their issues.........
But they sure do look nice! ( I think that's the main point with the 10 year rule. )

We stayed here last week for $9.50 a night this past week. The weather, fishing and views were awesome. We did have a guy living in his van beside us and a few rigs that were in pretty poor shape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	heart arcadia.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	142460  
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Great pic OKC, especially the kids forming the heart !!!

Aren't the rants about the 10 year old rule about 10 years old ?!?

Everywhere has rules, even this forum...
so abide by them, lie, or find some other endeavor to waste your time on ... but the rules are there because someone 'forced' them to make the rule...

The decision is up to you... and your decision tells us a lot about you, not the campground - Happy camping.
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post

Now that's a subjective call and exposes the employee that made it vs. something that is black and white.
Most of these places BTW are the same ones that also don't allow Class C, even if they are $500,000+

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote