Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #1

Rant: 10 year rule

What the hell is this 10 year rule? I'm encounteringing it in a lot of RV parks. What gives these park owners the right to say that because your RV is over 10 it resembles the RV from the movie Christmas Vacation.
We wanted to stay at the Anahime RV park next to Disneyland and while I was making the reservation on the phone the lady asked "and what year is your RV" and I said its a 92 Pace Arrow, and she came back with "oh your too old for our park". I then asked her what gave her the right to judge my Rig by a number. Theres more to the conversation but thats the jist of it.

This is wrong, this is like being back in the 60's and being black, this is a whites only diner, your not allowed in. Same principal

I thought we got pass this type of discrimanation.

Tony

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhrlto View Post
What the hell is this 10 year rule? I'm encounteringing it in a lot of RV parks. What gives these park owners the right to say that because your RV is over 10 it resembles the RV from the movie Christmas Vacation.
We wanted to stay at the Anahime RV park next to Disneyland and while I was making the reservation on the phone the lady asked "and what year is your RV" and I said its a 92 Pace Arrow, and she came back with "oh your too old for our park". I then asked her what gave her the right to judge my Rig by a number. Theres more to the conversation but thats the jist of it.

This is wrong, this is like being back in the 60's and being black, this is a whites only diner, your not allowed in. Same principal

Tony
To simply put it........Their property.......their rule's..........just like you set the rule's on your property. If you use the search bar at the top of the page, and do a search for "10 year rule" you will find a lot of thread's and hour's of reading on this subject.........

Old 09-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

Their business, their rules I guess.

They seem to be getting a lot of good reviews on Google, but they won't be getting my money.

Steve
Old 09-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
To simply put it........Their property.......their rule's..........just like you set the rule's on your property. If you use the search bar at the top of the page, and do a search for "10 year rule" you will find a lot of thread's and hour's of reading on this subject.........
It still does not mean its right! And nowhere on thier web site can I find anything that states this fact! I'll check out the other stuff you mentioned.
This is just wrong, and not good news for a beginning RV'er as my wife and I are.

Tony
Old 09-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #5

Nor mine Steve, and I went on google reviews, Trip advisor and yelp and posted a review, its in no way flattering to them.

Tony
Old 09-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Tony
Uhrlto
I've never wanted to stay at a RV park with a "10 year" rule.
(I want them even less than they want my business).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-08-2016, 01:40 PM   #7

Comparing race discrimination and rv discrimination would tend to cause some to question credibility of said person.

1. Get a newer MH
2. Lie
3. Go somewhere else.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #8

It's nowhere near the racial discrimination you quote, but as mentioned it is their park their rules. Even though a lot of RV parks have this rule, it is not always enforced as many older MH's still look great and are well taken care of. They have the rule so they can enforce it when the situation arises. But having been places where there were no rules, we have seen many MH's that were in such bad shape, that they affected other's campsites, ie leaking tanks and such. You can only say whether it's a right or wrong policy if you own the property and have to deal with any problems that may arise and how it affects your business and ability to make a profit.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Comparing race discrimination and rv discrimination would tend to cause some to question credibility of said person.

1. Get a newer MH
2. Lie
3. Go somewhere else.
Race discrimination, may have been a little strong, but its the first thing that came to mind, as I lived that era.

As far as the 3 items you mentioned. it goes like this:
I cant afford better then I have
I dont like to lie, it always bites you in the butt when you do.
I did go somewhere else, Anaheim Harbor RV Park, they do not discriminate.

Sorry if you were offended

Tony
Old 09-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
It's nowhere near the racial discrimination you quote, but as mentioned it is their park their rules. Even though a lot of RV parks have this rule, it is not always enforced as many older MH's still look great and are well taken care of. They have the rule so they can enforce it when the situation arises. But having been places where there were no rules, we have seen many MH's that were in such bad shape, that they affected other's campsites, ie leaking tanks and such. You can only say whether it's a right or wrong policy if you own the property and have to deal with any problems that may arise and how it affects your business and ability to make a profit.
And this I understand well. Like I siad if the rig from the Christmas Vacation movie showed up, I would ask them to leave. However let me add some more of the conversation that I had with the lady at the park.
I asked her not to judge me on the age of the MH, and let me send a pic via email, which she aggreed to I sent the following pic.
As you can see its not a dog, she sent me an email back saying "sorry it does not meet our standards. WTH are this parks standards?
Old 09-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #11

Tony,

I have a 1994 Class A Holiday Rambler so I understand your complaint. There was only once when I was turned away from a park because of my RV’s age. Usually I stay for a month or more and almost never go to RV “Resorts”, I normally find smaller parks etc on Craigslist that are inexpensive and happy to accept my business. In three years traveling this country full-time I can’t think of one park where I’ve stayed that wouldn’t welcome me back. That said, I’ve parked next to some pretty shabby RV’s owned by very nice people. My own RV looks nice but parked alongside a brand new RV it’d probably be considered shabby too. BTW, California is especially bad because if the park gets a problem tenant it can be difficult to evict him.

Steve

PS Tony you have a nice looking RV !
Old 09-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
It still does not mean its right! And nowhere on thier web site can I find anything that states this fact! I'll check out the other stuff you mentioned.
This is just wrong, and not good news for a beginning RV'er as my wife and I are.

Tony
See, there's the problem, you don't have any say in what is right for them to do. They own the property, they have a right to run it the way they want.
You also have the right not to stay there, just as I do.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:42 PM   #13

10 yr rule
No aggressive breed dogs
No campfires
Don't park on grass
Only one RV per site
Extra charge for more than 2
Kids must be accompanied by adult
Etc Etc ETc

Owners have their monies invested in a business
They have a RIGHT to conduct said business as they deem fit

And YES I do mean the Right to Refuse Service.
Don't like their RULES go else where
Spend your monies as you please.

If Owners Rules are extreme they will go out of business

Such is the way 'capitalism' should work.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #14

Quote:
As you can see its not a dog,
Truth is... there are lots of people who would think it is a dog. To you and me, it's a dream come true, but to them... just another dog.

Take it in stride... chalk it up to the human condition... and camp somewhere else where dogs are welcome.

-cheers